GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My slow, basic build

JLaw1443

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

The name is Jordan. So this is the firs time I have gone with any sort of build on a car. I have done Jeeps, but nothing that was 2 wheel drive. I'm also hoping to get some advice on this and see what other cars (CSG) are looking like. Atop that, I'm a girl and would love to come across other females on here and learn what they are doing. Call me weird.

Goal: Stay as OEM as possible, but make my own. I am also looking for some basic, stage 1 sort of set up. Time and money will tell.

The Car:
2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn edition, Carbon Steel Grey
6 speed standard transmission, 5 door hatch with sunroof
Stock, 18" Detroit rims

The day I took the test drive and placed a hold on it:

The car was bone stock and only had one owner. At the time of buying it, the brakes were wearing down but everything else was mechanically sound. The paint was flawless with some minor rock chips, thank you Colorado for that..., and the body was in excellent shape. The wheels, however, were all scuffed by the original owner.

The Little Things (Exterior/Interior):
Shortly after buying my car, I had signed up here and began looking for what I wanted to do. The first step were the blacked out VW badges.

And with the front, I moved my plate to the side, using the tow hook insert for the mount.

Originally both the front and the back badges were flat black. However, the badge for the front grill that I ordered did not line up at all. Thankfully for EuroBadgez, I was able to get the gloss black/red badge and also ordered the rear gloss badge.

However, I quickly learned what the "black butthole" was and had found Klii Motorwerks through a fellow forum user. I was born in Germany, dad being military, and felt it was fitting to go with the German Flag.

I also did the insert on the steering wheel. This was a pain in the butt, a little off, but I love the look.

I also ended up getting sick of the license plate being off-centered thanks to the wholes that the plate and frame left in the bumper. So, I re-centered the plate.

Since I am in Colorado, and we are now in winter, I have also swapped out the Continental tires that were on it with the Michelin Ice Xi3s all around. These tires are amazing in the snow.

The Mechanics and Electronics:
Shortly after getting my GTI, I found that the brakes needed to be replaced. I was hoping for just pads, but it turned into an entire brake job. That wasn't cheap... :mad: However, things were much better after done.

I also had run into issues with the MDI cable and the bluetooth on the car not working adequately. Phone calls were not an issue, my music was. After posting a thread on here and getting some good feedback, I had made a move to upgrade the stereo. I ended up getting a Kenwood DNX893S with Apple Car Play and Focal speakers installed all around. The sound was night and day compared to the stock and the best investment I have made when it comes to audio.

End of October came around and the 70k mile oil change came about. The VW dealership near where I work in Denver is who I had left my car with to get the oil change done and to do just a check to verify all was okay. Unfortunately, they had found a hole in the lower right corner of the radiator. They also stated I had a laundry list of other items, but thanks to a mechanic friend of the family, I didn't waste my time. Radiator was replaced, then the thermostat and water pump due to a crack in the housing. Now, the car runs mechanically sound and great!

The "To Do" List:
So now, I have a few small things on my list to tackle within the first quarter of 2017. What I was going to do regardless was LED taillights, however, it is now a must. My right rear taillight has a leak in it and is holding fluid... Kind of sucks.

So, the list for 2017:
  • LED R Tailight swap; Dark Cherry
  • Possible ARP Stage 1 Upgrade (This will be later in the year)
  • Swap or cover the GTI badges to be either red or black
  • Install Konig Tweakd black with red ring rims with summer tires

We will see what else hits my list. I am not looking to lower my car, though I love the look with a smaller wheel gap. Just, not doing it with the roads in Colorado and where I live specifically.

(Don't mind the Honda decal. I ride)

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
welcome.

JLaw1443

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I did something and ended up trading in the GTI for an 09 Silverado. So I guess there is no point in having this thread anymore. Oh well. I learned a lot and want to thank everyone on this site for their knowledge and sharing their beautiful cars.