GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm reading a bunch of different things...0W- 40, 5W-30 or 5W-40

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the same boat as a few of the other guys, I just use the same oil the dealers all use, Castrol 5w-40.

Works well, dealers all use it, so if shit ever hits the fan they can't use that as blame.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Absolutely, yes, use the OEM Mann filter.
As to oil...really, any 502 oil is fine.
Most oil nerds feel that Mobil 1 0W-40 is the best oil for the money and one of the best at any price. It is better than Castol 5w-40. If I were using Castrol I would use their 0W-40 for a number of reasons.
Motul is over rated. It's not a bad oil but likely not quite as good as Mobil for a lot more money.

However, I don't want to start an oil war. Go read BITOG if you care about your oil.

Why do you recommend 0w-40 over 5w-40 for castrol?

Avant

Ready to race!
I use Liqui-Moly 5W-40 because of varying temperatures in Southern California.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Why do you recommend 0w-40 over 5w-40 for castrol?

I believe it has better specs.
As well, I like 0W for winter starts.

The arguments rage over at BITOG and, although Mobil 1 is the favourite of most posters, the Castrol 0W-40 is also highly regarded as a possible replacement for the old GC 0W-30, which is still available and still good but the add pack may be a bit dated these days.

Avant

Ready to race!
Not sure what you mean. 5W-40 is a good grade for most climates for our cars. The Liqui-Moly is so-so.

I'm actually not sure what you mean either lol. We use 5W-40 because it is good for most climates.

you said it's "so-so"

Care to explain why? It's actually a shop that puts the Liqui-Moly for me, may do it for myself in the future.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
There is nothing wrong with Liqui-Moly. I said it's 'so-so' only because it is often over priced and hyped. It's perfectly good oil. It it's certainly nothing special.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I use motul 300v power 5w40

In Germany it's pretty easy to get your hands in though it's still a bit more spending the other options. It's cold up here so I give the car ample time to warm up before it goes over 2k rpms. Oil changes every 5-6k miles

Avant

Ready to race!
There is nothing wrong with Liqui-Moly. I said it's 'so-so' only because it is often over priced and hyped. It's perfectly good oil. It it's certainly nothing special.

Oh okay good :)

When I say I "use" Liqui Moly.. I mean the shop that I go to put that lol.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Just make sure you use an oil that is VW 502 approved. Sure there are other oils out there like Rotella and heck even others like Redline and such that are great oils, but if your under warranty you NEED TO USE AN APPROVED OIL.

So, with that in mind, one oil that can be had almost anywhere, that meets VW 502 is M1 0w40. You just cant beat it for the money.

The main thing to remember is the VW 502 certification. As long as it has that, in the end? That is all that really matters.

Jeff

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I'm sorry guys I have read a ton of oil threads and oil posts and the information is all over the place. I just want to make sure I put the right stuff in my car. I was a Rotella T6 guy for my Subarus, but I know it's not VW approved.

What is the VW approved/correct weight that's the best thing for my car.

Thanks

I'm stage 1 at the moment. I live in Flagstaff. I'm changing the oil tomorrow and just want to know what to keep using.

I used Mobil 1 5-40 syn for 6 years, recently switched to Shell Rotella T6 and am using much less oil now.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I made a three with a poll on what kind of oil everyone was using. Search for it.

If I recall correctly, it was Castrol. I used Liqui Molly last time. I liked it.

For the winter, I'm trying out m1. Honestly, whatever is vw approved should work fine.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I'll go T6 when I'm out of drivetrain warranty. I'm a fanboy for that stuff. Fed my STi's oil hunger back in the day

My Flickr!