GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3" Downpipe car sound like an old pickup between 2000-4000RPM

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I have a GTI 2012 DSG, I installed a catted downpipe from CTS-turbo.com and between 2000 and 4000 RPM the sound is weird. I can only describe it as like an old 80's pickup, over 4000RPM the sound is great. The problem is only under load when accelerating.

Do you think a resonator would help fix this problem?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
P

plac

Hi, I have a GTI 2012 DSG, I installed a catted downpipe from CTS-turbo.com and between 2000 and 4000 RPM the sound is weird. I can only describe it as like an old 80's pickup, over 4000RPM the sound is great. The problem is only under load when accelerating.

Do you think a resonator would help fix this problem?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2000-4000 rpm? wastegate rattleclip maybe, unless that is standard on 2012's. or simply a leak. CTS downpipe is almost unheard of around here.

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
2000-4000 rpm? wastegate rattleclip maybe, unless that is standard on 2012's. or simply a leak. CTS downpipe is almost unheard of around here.

I saw some sound clip from the rattleclip, I don't think this is the issue.

It might be a leak, I check for leak everywhere except directly at the beggining of the downpipe. Is there some kind of test I can do test for leak?

I will try to record a video of the sound and post it, maybe it will help.

Thank you.

Last edited:

JhnR

Banned
If it sounds nasty its a leak.

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a soundclip but you can't really hear the problem with my phone microphone :

http://youtu.be/dYeqUJEyaXE?hd=1&t=30s

You can skip to around 35 seconds, but like I said the micro is not good enough.

You can hear a kind of growling that I wish to eliminate.

The problem is really minor, I just want everything to be perfect.

P

plac

sounds pretty normal to me.. especially if that CTS downpipe is the catless version.

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
sounds pretty normal to me.. especially if that CTS downpipe is the catless version.

It's the catted version, do you think it's worth it to try to add a Resonator or it won't change anything?

for the sound problem it's probably more between 3000-4000RPM

P

plac

It's the catted version, do you think it's worth it to try to add a Resonator or it won't change anything?

for the sound problem it's probably more between 3000-4000RPM

too hard to tell from the video if anything sounds unusual. a downpipe will sound louder and throatier.

you prob should have researched downpipes first, for about the same $400 price, you could have got the holy grail SPM downpipe..

JhnR

Banned
too hard to tell from the video if anything sounds unusual. a downpipe will sound louder and throatier.

you prob should have researched downpipes first, for about the same $400 price, you could have got the holy grail SPM downpipe..

Oh yeah if it doesnt have a CAT it will def sound a little more aggressive. Especially on cold starts.

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
My downpipe is Catted and since I live in Canada, the choice of downpipe is greatly reduced. The problem is really the rumble between 3000-4000rpm, over that it sound lovely.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion

how is it the holy grail if it hasn't been Plac approved and certified

JT641

Banned
Sounds like the same thing I'm getting, I installed borla CBE first then a couple months later I installed a dp and it was after that, That I got the same thing your descirbing. For me it's only when cruising at highway speeds and I give it a little gas that it happens. I'm first going to change the muffler and see what happens (borla muffler is small and strait through, went through the same problem with my truck went from a strait through muffler to a turbo style muffler and that fixed it) If that doesn't do it then I'll put a resonator on it.