GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI vs. Jetta MKIII VR6 (lightly modded)

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
I have had a debate with my friend about which of the 2 cars I have owned on which was faster. My friend thinks my GTI now is faster, but I think the Jetta might have been.

GTI:
2 door
6SM
P-flow
3100 lbs?

Jetta VR6
5SM
Lighten flywheel
Autotech 262 cams
P-flow
New south intake gasket (lower temps)
Mangaflow exhaust
Catch can
60/40 cup kit
Maybe 2800 lbs?

Which do you think would be faster?

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
GTI easy

kurupt_hawaiian

Ready to race!
My stage 2 Mk6 Gti smokes my friends Mk5 R32, he has every performance mod except for boost... Probably a little different from the Jetta since the weight and AWD, but boost the VR and it's a beast!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Pretty much the gti shouldn't have a problem winning. The reason vw didn't take the traditional vr6 route on the R was b/c it was less efficient than the current fsi setup.

The vr6 will however sound godly doing that run though.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
My stage 2 Mk6 Gti smokes my friends Mk5 R32, he has every performance mod except for boost... Probably a little different from the Jetta since the weight and AWD, but boost the VR and it's a beast!

I believe that since the MKV R32 is a heavy weight. A 12V VR6 stage I is like 250 whp at 6 psi. That is even with out an intercooler.

Anyway I guess I miss that NA VR6 power band, and no rev hang or delay in acceleration like the GTI. The Jetta would pull hard all the way to 7k.

turbo > NA.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Probably about the same. As soon as you get tuning, its all over though.

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
If its a MK3 VR6 with cams and bolt ons and a MK6 with just an intake the VR6 is gonna win. When I had a 12V VR6 it put down 175hp with just a tune. With cams, more bolt ons and lighter platform (I had a MK4) I have no doubt an MK3 VR6 driven and running properly should win.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
If its a MK3 VR6 with cams and bolt ons and a MK6 with just an intake the VR6 is gonna win. When I had a 12V VR6 it put down 175hp with just a tune. With cams, more bolt ons and lighter platform (I had a MK4) I have no doubt an MK3 VR6 driven and running properly should win.

Yes the MkIII had autotech 262 cams with a chip to match the cams. Its not a huge gain, but it helps get the most out of the cams and smoothens the idle out a little. I ran 93 octane in the VR6 not that it would make a huge difference.