GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem starting- "ESP Error"?

Tonybaloney

i just picked up my car from the dealership. they said the codes showed "lost communication with the transmission" and we might need to replace the gearbox. it's not covered under 5-year/60k power train warranty but i can try to reach out to VW USA to see if anything can be done. Has anyone run into gearbox issues with their GTI before with only 45K miles?

Tonybaloney

The ESP sensor is part of the abs pump/module, the 09 cars have a similar issue so maybe that's it.

my abs light never came on so i'm not sure if it's a different issue. So far my symptoms are:

1. 5-6 times of "error: ESP" on MDI.
2. 2 times with CEL
3. 1 time with TCS light and flashing "p" on my shift knob area and not allowing me to shift.

all these happened within 2-3 weeks. everything goes back to normal after i restart the car. i'm starting to wonder if there is a loose connecting/grounding/wire somewhere that's causing this. I think this is a coincident but it started to happen after an oil change.

zrickety

The Fixer
The transmission is the very definition of powertrain. Sounds like they are trying to kick the can down the road. Talk to a manager.

Tonybaloney

The transmission is the very definition of powertrain. Sounds like they are trying to kick the can down the road. Talk to a manager.

We'll see what happens. They're helpful and told me I can go back and they'll look at it again for free if anything comes up again. I consider the $150 diagnose fee worth a while to get on their record before my warranty expires. Hopefully I'll get lucky and won't see the error code ever again.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Last week, I had the ESP error, and a whole slew of others, after my battery voltage dropped to 12 volts. I was all prepared to change the battery, but I was able to get the resting voltage higher after a night on my smart charger. If or when it happens again, I'm going with an AGM replacement.