GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

13 Stage 2 Uni DSG vs 16 Stage 1 WRX

ketchupfreak

Go Kart Champion
No video for now, maybe later.
13 Stage 2 Unitronic GTI with DSG tune, CTS catless TB, Neuspeed IC, Neuspeed Intake, fresh Federal 595 RSR tires.

16 WRX, Cobb stage 1, Perrin catback.

We went from a 5 mph roll because he was scared of launching his new car. I pulled 2 cars instantly and kept it that way till about 60-65. We did this a few times with similar results. He's going stage 2+ with a catless j-pipe and cobb intake soon. We will try it again and maybe from a launch.

I'll try to take a video next time.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Awesome! I'd like to join next time if possible lol see how my car would hold up. I have a WRX as well so very interested to see how this turns out.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

92slc

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice
Gonna run my brother he has '15 Wrx cobb protune stage 2+
And I have a '13 Cobb ots stage 2 wanna see how I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dknguyenn

Ready to race!
I have a couple buddies with a lightly modded frs and a stock '16 wrx. The frs won by inches.. lol

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I have a couple buddies with a lightly modded frs and a stock '16 wrx. The frs won by inches.. lol

Lightly modded, as in E85 tune, full headers back exhaust, and intake? Even with all those mods, most of those guys haven't broken into the 13's yet (if any have, I didn't see any in their forums). And that's only if it's a manual trans. I see a pretty consistent 96-100ish area for trap speed, and the stock WRX is pretty consistently around 100mph trap, so from a roll, the WRX would definitely have the edge, unless the WRX driver really sucks at driving...

ketchupfreak

Go Kart Champion
It's weird. I had a 2009 WRX and I remember when I went stage 1, I was pretty blown away by the speed. Then when I went stage 2, I was also impressed by the sheer pull and power. When I drove his car stage 1 and 2, I was not impressed at all. It felt slower than my 2009 did.

corman1313

Ready to race!
My 05 WRX is protuned with a catless turbo back and a drop in filter, ported and polished turbo and I made 245 to the wheels. I'm just getting the motor rebuilt from throwing a rod bearing so I'm very excited to see how she runs. I'd say my GTI will still take it because I've done much more to it.

nygti3491

Ready to race!
Raced my Friend with a stage 2 16' wrx And I'm in a stage 2 13' gti and we raced a couple of times and first time I beat him then the next 2 times it was dead even but this was at a 30mph roll. From a dig I would probably lose. I don't think he is the great racer if I was in the wrx I think it would be a different outcome but we do stand chance against AWD.

MK6BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
Didn't think GTIs were as quick as Subies modded. Do they really suffer that much drivetrain loss due to the AWD? Like we're at about 275hp/320lbs maxed at stage 2 and WRX's usually start at 265hp/244lbs stock

Just wondering because I've always been under the impression that Subie's are a tad quicker. Stock vs Stock/stage 1 vs stage 1/ etc

corman1313

Ready to race!
A lot of it has to do with the turbo size, our smaller KO3's will spool up quicker and get going faster than the WRX but the top end on the larger turbo could reel us in. I'd still say I'd give a stage 2 WRX a run for its money with my car. Remember it's not all about power it's also how you can put that power down. Suspension mods will help with hop and wheel spin while spooling up quicker and having a lot of torque. Weight could be a factor as well but both cars are similar there so depends on what each has done to lose or gain some. I've done a big brake kit and a Street shield so I've added a bit so I have to compensate in other areas.

I'd still take on a modded WRX/STI or Evo. I'm going to do some runs with a friend's Evo and I'm pretty confident I can pull on him bit he hasn't done too much to it. Modded Evo's can be another story, doesn't take much to make those things stupid quick.

MK6BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
A lot of it has to do with the turbo size, our smaller KO3's will spool up quicker and get going faster than the WRX but the top end on the larger turbo could reel us in. I'd still say I'd give a stage 2 WRX a run for its money with my car. Remember it's not all about power it's also how you can put that power down. Suspension mods will help with hop and wheel spin while spooling up quicker and having a lot of torque. Weight could be a factor as well but both cars are similar there so depends on what each has done to lose or gain some. I've done a big brake kit and a Street shield so I've added a bit so I have to compensate in other areas.

I'd still take on a modded WRX/STI or Evo. I'm going to do some runs with a friend's Evo and I'm pretty confident I can pull on him bit he hasn't done too much to it. Modded Evo's can be another story, doesn't take much to make those things stupid quick.

Interesting, I can see how we can beat them from a low speed roll since we have quite a bit of torque on there cars. Though it looks like you need to tune the GTI to have any chance against a WRX, stock or not.

Just was wondering because I see so many people here saying they put like 1 or 2 cars on a Subie. Even more surprising when they say an STI.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Interesting, I can see how we can beat them from a low speed roll since we have quite a bit of torque on there cars. Though it looks like you need to tune the GTI to have any chance against a WRX, stock or not.

Just was wondering because I see so many people here saying they put like 1 or 2 cars on a Subie. Even more surprising when they say an STI.
Oh yes a tune is a must to have a chance against even a WRX. I own both cars and they deliver power much differently, I will say that the GTI wants to take off much quicker with more torque where as the WRX is a lot more linear power with a larger turbo that helps out up top. I would think that a GTI will pull away in the lower RPM's and the Subie could pull it in with the top end if evenly matched. People are afraid to go against AWD from a dig but I think it comes down to suspension mods and driver. I've never launched my WRX because of the weaker tranny but I have been in a couple STI's and they could leave your neck hurting if you weren't ready for it.

MK6BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh yes a tune is a must to have a chance against even a WRX. I own both cars and they deliver power much differently, I will say that the GTI wants to take off much quicker with more torque where as the WRX is a lot more linear power with a larger turbo that helps out up top. I would think that a GTI will pull away in the lower RPM's and the Subie could pull it in with the top end if evenly matched. People are afraid to go against AWD from a dig but I think it comes down to suspension mods and driver. I've never launched my WRX because of the weaker tranny but I have been in a couple STI's and they could leave your neck hurting if you weren't ready for it.

Interesting, I had an 05' WRX and felt like a slug at low speeds but felt pretty quick up top. I edged out my buddy's 328i a couple times up top which sort of surprised me as he had the bigger motor. The GTI feels like the total opposite of the WRX, thanks for the insight.