GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Dyno Results

danman1280

Hi All,

I have a MK6 GTI with a HPA K04 kit with GIAC H/O tune, Unitronic FMIC, CTS Turbo turbo-back exhaust, and intake.

Initially when I got the K04 kit the boost was topping out at 16psi, which led me to believe that their was an issue with the crack pressure setting of the wastegate. Sure enough we adjusted the wastegate and I'm now spiking at 22psi and settling 19-17psi.

I went and had my car dynoed and I am a little dissapointed. I have attached the dyno for reference. I dynoed at 274whp and 303wtq. I was really wanting to be around the 300whp mark with my setup, and it seems that it should be obtainable with my setup.

My concern is this, are my boost levels are where they're supposed to be with the GIAC H/O file? Could I adjust the wastegate a tad more to get a little more boost out of it? Anyone with a HPA K04 kit able to reach that sexy 300whp mark? Has anyone had a similar experience with HPA's K04 and their wastegate not being set to the right cracking pressure?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• dynorunShare_0 (1).png
    dynorunShare_0 (1).png
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,569

zef

Drag Racing Champion
91 or 93 octane fuel? What gear did they do the pulls in? If 91, you're basically making GIAC's advertised power ratings....http://www.giacusa.com/calibrations/img/HOK04_RACE1.png

If they did the pulls in 4th gear, that could produce a slightly lower number than if they did it in 3rd.

Plenty of members on this forum have eclipsed 300 with the HPA kit. Since you already have all the necessary bolt ons, it sounds like you just need better software (or just run meth).

edit: I noticed that yours was on a dynojet and the giac is on a mustang dyno...still, that's only about a 12% spread, and there are so many variables that can affect output that it's hard to pinpoint why yours made more or less. If you ran some logs on VCDS and posted them for us we might be able to better help you figure out if there's an issue with the car.

Last edited:

danman1280

93 oct and it was in 4th gear. I should have mentioned before my GTI has a DSG transmission should I dyno in 3rd instead of 4th gear? Also would there be any benifit of getting a Aftermartet HPFP?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
should I dyno in 3rd instead of 4th gear?

It will produce a slightly lower power reading, so if you're going for ideal power #, then yes, 3rd gear is optimal. DSG/Manual have roughly the same drive train loss

Also would there be any benifit of getting a Aftermartet HPFP?

Not for KO4 power levels. You would benefit from getting a different tune or running meth.

Last edited:

danman1280

Dang really? I thought GIAC was more of an aggressive tune than APR? Does APR have some kind of trial period when purchasing their tune? Also HPA make a tune for their kit. Has anyone had any experience with HPA’s tune for their K04?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
It's aggressive if you get their "extreme" file, which supposedly puts down 350hp,400tq, but requires race gas and meth. There is no middle ground between that tune and their H/O tune, which produces less than pretty much everyone else.

APR does have a money day back guarantee, but I don't know the specifics. I'd contact an APR dealer to learn more.

I don't know of anyone that's used HPA's tuning dongle--most people that I've seen that buy the HPA kit use a Cobb accessport and get a tune through Stratified.

danman1280

First I’ve heard of this kind of tune. Is there somewhere I can get mor info on how this is done? Also my DSG is stage 2 through GIAC. would it be harmful to have a different tune on my engine that what’s on my trans?

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion

FriggenT1

Banned
First I’ve heard of this kind of tune. Is there somewhere I can get mor info on how this is done? Also my DSG is stage 2 through GIAC. would it be harmful to have a different tune on my engine that what’s on my trans?

The fastest 1/4 times on here are with GIAC, either that dyno reads low, or there's room in the tune for adjustment. More timing might do something.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The fastest 1/4 times on here are with GIAC, either that dyno reads low, or there's room in the tune for adjustment. More timing might do something.

Fastest 1/4 mile times with the extreme file...he's running the H/O file...which makes substantially less power. He's literally making almost exactly what GIAC advertises for the H/O file.

FriggenT1

Banned
Fastest 1/4 mile times with the extreme file...he's running the H/O file...which makes substantially less power. He's literally making almost exactly what GIAC advertises for the H/O file.

Fastest 1/4 on 93 is also 11.9 @ 115 on GIAC extreme with no meth.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Fastest 1/4 on 93 is also 11.9 @ 115 on GIAC extreme with no meth.

So no meth, 93 octane gas, but still uses the extreme file (which requires at least one of those) and still runs an 11.9? :bs:

The 11.9 (which I believe you are referring to) was done on 105 octane, extreme file (possibly no meth).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwFFJS30Oy8&t=89s

The fastest run I could find from AWE/GIAC on pump gas was a 12.76. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBXkGwXm7DI

My whole point to the OP was that if he wants more power without using race fuel, go elsewhere. Or use meth--which will get him to the 300whp+ he is looking for.

Last edited:

danman1280

GIAC updated their site recently with their X3T04 file that advertises 300whp/315wtq. I spoke with someone at GIAC and he said that this is the same as their H/O file. I’m just trying to figure out why I’m -25whp. Idk, I’m just kinda disappointed that I’m going to have spend another $800 on another tune if I want that extra 25whp when according to what they claim I should already be at. I might double check the crack pressure of the WG again and make it a tad higher to get 23 spike and settle around 20psi. Then take from there.

FriggenT1

Banned
So no meth, 93 octane gas, but still uses the extreme file (which requires at least one of those) and still runs an 11.9? :bs:

The 11.9 (which I believe you are referring to) was done on 105 octane, extreme file (possibly no meth).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwFFJS30Oy8&t=89s

The fastest run I could find from AWE/GIAC on pump gas was a 12.76. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBXkGwXm7DI

My whole point to the OP was that if he wants more power without using race fuel, go elsewhere. Or use meth--which will get him to the 300whp+ he is looking for.

http://www.vwboost.com/content.php?...th-an-11-94-115-95-pass-on-a-K04-turbocharger

See where it says k04 extreme ots?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Befor you adjust anything you should Datalog and see what your tune is requesting for boost and see where actual boost is.

Also your N75 duty% will tell you if your wastegate is lower than it should be.