GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have any intentions of trading for MK6 when it's released?

Will you be trading in?

• Yes, I love the look.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • No, I prefer my MK5.

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 30 34.1%

• Total voters

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
My GTI MK-V is a very nice car to drive, and I look forward to driving it each time I have somewhere to go! IF the MK VI is as nice, I will buy one -

THAT IS:

When they put wheels on it that don't scrape on the curb before the tires touch the curb - -

When I can change the battery without taking it to the dealership to reset the idiot lights - -

When they put even one cupholder in it that I can use, or give me a place to hang an aftermarket cupholder - -

When the upholstery doesn't get dirty so quick, or snag when a cat runs through the open doors - -

When I can buy an oil filter that just spins on and off, like every other make of car sold today has, except Volkswagen - -

When I can add transmission fluid through a filler plug, and measure it with a dipstick or overflow upon filling, like mankind invented a hundred years ago - -

When there is a vacuum/boost gauge to match the other instruments in the cluster - -

When I can buy a wiper blade refill for less than $20 each - -

When I can squeak out EPA advertised mileage when I drive it at 55 MPH steady on a smooth, level interstate (the 2007 EPA mileage figures of 25/31 deducted 20% from the supposedly "measured" results). I have yet to break 24 mpg for combined driving, going VERY easy on the gas. I almost (but not quite) get EPA highway mileage at a steady 55 mph on cruise control on a smooth, level highway - -

When the windows go up and down according to what I do with the window switch, and not when they deicide to move on their own, or not to move - -

When the air conditioning gets cold when I turn it on, not a mile down the road - -

When all of the dash lighting is coordinated. What we have here is an ugly red LED center dash computer display, along with that - yes - beautiful blue-purple and magenta-pink gauge backlighting, and a third type of LCD radio display, black on gray, and hard to read day or night. Very tastelessly done, overall - -

When it has all of the features that are shown in the owners manual for the model I own - -

When they put a durable surface on the front bumper where it contacts the bumper of a car parking in front of me, when he backs up too far and hits me - -

When the interior handles don't fall off the first time I touch them, or the last time, either - -

When they give me a front grill I can wash a lot easier than that hex-molded abortion of a bug trap - -

THIS is a car I will sell before the warranty expires. Volkswagen has one of the worst frequency of repair records of any car manufacturer selling cars in the US today. VW's repair record is (maybe) only "improved upon" by Mercedes Benz. It will cost many times as much to maintain and repair this VW, as the Honda products I have enjoyed for many years.

I had my Acura Integra GSR for 13 years, and it cost almost nothing extra to own. It never needed ANY fixing at all, and I could maintain it all by myself, without the help of a dealership! It's EPA mileage was 24-28, and I never got less than 25 mpg. I revved it up when I wanted to "go" without having to worry about sucking the tank dry. I also got 30-32 mpg on the interstate at 65-70 mph, not at 55 mph.

Yep, sounds like you need to sell it and move back to a Honda alright.

I always reckon you gotta be happy with the car you put your bum in... driving is too much fun to be surrounded by something that annoys the hell out of you when you're doing it.

Personally, I've had a good run with all my Golfs (some niggling issues, but nothing major)... but I have seen the trials and tribulations of others like yourself spelt out in the MK5 forum.

I fell for you, I really do... I dunno if it helps, and I hope it does, but from what I've read and seen the MK6 is getting some critical acclaim for its build quality and level of comfort. So perhaps it might fit the bill for you?

As a matter of interest, where are the American Golfs built?

Here in Australia the 5 dr hails from South Africa, and it has to be said that it has suffered a bit of bad press over build quality. The 3 dr is built in Germany and seems to have a better rep.

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I find 400bhp in such a car pointless myself, Its simply bragging rights thing for some i guess, like a big boys pissing contest i guess, im happy with my manhood so i don't need bragging rights to boost my ego and feel better but i know some do.
I have now driven a mk5edition30 with over 300bhp and LSD in the cold wet gritty winter far northern Britain weather and i can understand the attraction of that but anymore power i cannot see the point of at all. Your talking fractions of seconds, haldex is heavy, increases transmition losses, turns off under braking etc etc. Its a system i don't like and never have, i have seen too many over the years dumped on dealership workshop floors. I would much rather have that Ed30 (even in the snow we not long since had and is due again next week) than an Audi S3 driving experience i also have had, Haldex changes the driving experience imo and not to the better, but thats just my opinion each to there own as they say.:)

Last edited:

GTI2007

I would rather have a 400 HP GTI then some Porsche that costs 3 times as much and gets far more attention then just a simple GTI

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
It would be nice, if the GTI-R has AWD, and came with a HALDEX controller fitted.

A lot of the folks who have the current .:R seem to be fitting them in order to dial in a more practical and responsive setting.

Last edited:

GTI2007

I find 400bhp in such a car pointless myself, Its simply bragging rights thing for some i guess, like a big boys pissing contest i guess, im happy with my manhood so i don't need bragging rights to boost my ego and feel better but i know some do.
I have now driven a mk5edition30 with over 300bhp and LSD in the cold wet gritty winter far northern Britain weather and i can understand the attraction of that but anymore power i cannot see the point of at all. Your talking fractions of seconds, haldex is heavy, increases transmition losses, turns off under braking etc etc. Its a system i don't like and never have, i have seen too many over the years dumped on dealership workshop floors. I would much rather have that Ed30 (even in the snow we not long since had and is due again next week) than an Audi S3 driving experience i also have had, Haldex changes the driving experience imo and not to the better, but thats just my opinion each to there own as they say.:)

You made me starting to doubt to get myself a second handed ED30 GTI instead of waiting for the MK6 R-GTI

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Haldex is the make of 4WD system Volkswagen use on East - West mounted engines.

Last edited:

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed
Sticky Situation....

I'm in a sticky spot. I currently have a Mazdaspeed 6 and want to switch over to a GTI. I was going to just pickup an 09 4dr DSG, but then I cam here and read all this madness about the '10 GTI.

I'm torn. I don't think I will be able to trade in an '09 if I buy it now for a '10 within 1 year. I'm most interested in getting the LSD...the new exhaust design looks pretty good too...but not all that important. APR takes care of the rest.

What do I do? How much longer do I have to wait for '10?:mad0259: