GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange exhaust sound.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I noticed a strange exhaust sound while driving today. I just cracked 1,000 miles if that matters. I know that VW added some "special pipe" that gives the exhaust a nice mild growl....and I like the sound. It seems to come from right underneath me while driving.

But today I noticed an additional purr/growl/hiss and this sound is coming from toward the front passenger side...like behind the glove box...in the firewall somewhere...or even under the hood?

Its hard to explain the location. And the sound doesnt happen all the time. Just wondering if the exhaust is just breaking in? Could there be a leak in the exhaust? A loose hose or something?

Maybe I'm just nuts? Haha. Anyone else notice anything like this? I swear, I'm so paranoid sometimes that I just look for things to go wrong.:mad0259:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Might just be the turbo/fuel injection under load. I notice the sound too, and I kind of like it.

siagolf

Ready to race!
by "special pipe" are you referring to the "noise pipe" that's under our hoods? it terminates right where you're hearing the noise you're describing so it could be the culprit.

also this noise pipe is utterly useless...i'm planning to do the delete/plug-mod on it soon to squeeze out more boost from our K03 turbos...

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Nope. Not my imagination. Just took it around the block again. It is definately a new/different sound and it is coming from under the hood or in the firewall on the passenger side. I opened the hood and the sound, Im guessing, is coming from the area where the air intake tube enters the engine. This is the same area where another weird looking "tube" enters the firewall (this tube comes out of the firewall and heads straight toward the front of the hood and then goes straight down and to the right...etc....I dont even know what this thing is for actualy.)

Anyway....from inside the car...it sounds like an exhaust "leak" if you ask me.

siagolf

Ready to race!
This is the same area where another weird looking "tube" enters the firewall (this tube comes out of the firewall and heads straight toward the front of the hood and then goes straight down and to the right...etc....I dont even know what this thing is for actualy.)

as per my post above, that's the noise-pipe...it's purpose is to amplify the engine noise into the cabin to give us the "vroom vroom" sound. this is the tube you're talking about right?

and if you keep following down it looks like this:

it can be easily removed and plugged to reduce cabin noise and to improve the throttle response of the car...the noise-pipe is basically another outlet from the throttle body, so part (small amount) of the boost you create when you're on the throttle goes to fill up that pipe. taking the pipe out and/or plugging it results in more of your boost going to where it matters -- the engine.

to be clear, you're NOT making more hp/tq by removing/plugging the noise-pipe -- you're just improving the throttle response -- some say noticeably, but i'll report back as to what i felt once i finally plug the sucker! oh...and yes, your cabin will be quieter with the noise pipe removed/plugged.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Does the noise happen somewhere between 2400 and 3000rpm?

It could also be the Wastegate rod that you are hearing which could get amplified with the help of the noise pipe.

It may be sound like a rattle, or as super steve described it ... "poprocks in a soda can", "rattling of metal washers" or "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-". Mine sounds more like "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-".

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Does the noise happen somewhere between 2400 and 3000rpm?

It could also be the Wastegate rod that you are hearing which could get amplified with the help of the noise pipe.

It may be sound like a rattle, or as super steve described it ... "poprocks in a soda can", "rattling of metal washers" or "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-". Mine sounds more like "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-".

This sounds exactly like what is happening. Mine is also more like a fast "ch-ch-ch-ch".....same RPM range too (2400-3000)

Is this normal? Harmless? Repairable/reversable? Worth me mentioning it to the dealer?

Was there already a thread on this subject? I would like to see what others have said or experienced.

Last edited:

zee

Go Kart Champion
Search for "wastegate" and you will get a coupe of threads with similar issues. Generally, it is a normal sound across the range of 2.0TSI engines from Passats to Tiguans. Although mention it in your next service because when Phenix3939 took his GTI in, his issue turned out to be a loose cowl part at the base of the windshield and his car needed a shim.

VW's official TSB is below.
VW have issued guidance on this noise as follows...
Technical product information Transaction No.: 2021062/1
Rattling noises from engine/exhaust system Release date: 10-Jul-2009

Customer statement / workshop findings

Rattling or jarring noise from the engine compartment / exhaust system when accelerating between 2400 and 3000 rpm .

Technical background

Waste gate adjustment rod of the turbo charger rattles when accelerating.

Production change

---

Measure

Do not repair, the noises are construction-related and normal. There is no parts damage.

Warranty accounting instructions

This is no fault in the sense of warranty.

gray1

I also purchased a 2010 GTi about 5 weeks back. But after roughly 1,000 miles, I've noticed a strange hissing noise at lower speeds if I accelerate quick for about a second or two. Also, it seems like my exhaust isn't as loud as before. I used to be able to feel it under heavy acceleration, but now all I hear is mostly the engine. Any ideas or thoughts?

FrankMK6

I read elsewhere that someone has finally narrowed the wastegate rattle / rustling leaves noise between 2000-2800 RPMs down to the new design of the OEM diverter valve on the TSI engines.:iono: I found threads complaining about this sound on the MKV GTIs as well as the A3s.

Although VW has been telling their customers (including me) this noise is normal, it is completely unacceptable from a car that stickers for $30K! Had I noticed this sound during my various test drives I would not have purchased this car.

Has anyone who has an aftermarket Diverter Valve noticed the valve cured this rattle noise? At this point that may be our only option to cure this problem.

Just for clarification: I love the whistle sound the turbo makes, the rattle noise I am referring to is completely different. My last two 2.0T engines (Audi FSI) did not make this obnoxious rattle noise.

Thanks for any insight!

cnimativ

Ready to race!
Are some of you new to turbo cars? Sounds like it. They make lots of cool noises :)

The specific noise isn't in my '06 Audi A3 or '01 Volvo S40; both are turbo cars, and the A3 even has the same engine.

Mine has the "poprock in a tin can" sound. The "shiooooo shiooooo shiooooo" sound I am not worried about...