GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changed to new Milltek 3" race system

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, everyone,

Thank you Charlie (Milltek) and Steve for giving some small advice on the new system. It's a much better system if you want better performance and soundtrack.

Installed the first launched Milltek 2.75" system (non reso) in April '10 when it was first launched. It came complete with DP and turboback which was coupled with APR stage 2+ tune. The performance was smooth and the soundtrack is suitable for everyday driving even it was a non-reso system. It made louder farts when we accelerate above 2K rpm. In summary, it is an exhaust system suitable for everyday use. Match it with an open pot intake, the sound would get even better.

Last month, our hands got itchy. We read about Steve's review and got all excited and decided to order the new 3" race system. Here's how we got ourselves into trouble :iono:

Catback removed.

Finally after an hour the old system was removed. We were careful not damage the old system as the was a buyer for it.
Notice a APR stage 3 Mk5 in rear (damm fast ride !) :w00t:

New system layout from turbo back to DP.

Cannot imagine we got convinced by so few words...motorsports

It came with missing washers for the bolts and also one clip was also missing. So, pls. check the washers, bolts and clips first before installation.

Notice the single weld point on the bracket. It can give way after a few months of rattling. So, we decided to give some extra reinforcements.

Temporary measure. Replaced missing clip with one picked up from the tool box.

Beauty !!!! :w00t:

It's done ! Satisfied. Now, waiting to fire it up.

Can't see the box with the new dual split silencer system.

Watch out for your side skirts if you using this lift system.

Firing it up....sounds amazing. Now, waiting for the system to adjust.

Overall, it pulls better at higher revs (it keeps goin and goin). If you want a system that produces a slightly more conservative soundtrack (and you can share it with your mrs), this non reso system is not suitable. It is loud and deep when pushed. The fart is also deep and strong.
At the end of the day, an exhaust system or any mod is up to us. As long it farts correctly, makes a lot of deep noise and enhances the performance it is good to go.

I am sorry that some of the pic quality is not so good (blame it on apple). I'll try to post the soundtrack in the next few days.

Cheers and have fun guys.

McMerc

At last someone posted another 3" milltek!! was waiting for steve to post the clip for it, but it did not come after 2 months. Hope that he will do a great job.

Please post some clip for this new milltek as I am dying to hear it!!

I am wondering is the downpipe catless dwonpipe from milltek? is the car tune for stage 2?

Raffoul232

Passed Driver's Ed
looks ace but why make a gti look like the golf-r (front)?

nath_mkVI

Ready to race!
nice write-up, not feeling the GTI badged as an R, but hey each to their own. So how has it been going since install?

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
Milltek 3"

At last someone posted another 3" milltek!! was waiting for steve to post the clip for it, but it did not come after 2 months. Hope that he will do a great job.

Please post some clip for this new milltek as I am dying to hear it!!

I am wondering is the downpipe catless dwonpipe from milltek? is the car tune for stage 2?

On the comestics (R conversion), we had a few conversions here. Some opted for Caractere (which looks very good on tornado red only), some opted for add ons by Oettinger (which still maintains the GTI look). Decided to go for the R look as it still looks OEM and makes the car look slightly more agressive. So, what we did was to experiment with some of the looks available :iono:

It is not a catless DP but a cat that runs on 100 cell (race). The flow is good but I still notice some lag before mayhem comes. Yes, the car is tuned on APR stage 2+ (2+ which is more suitable for 3" DP). You can use stage 2 for 2.75" DP.
So, far in terms of noise, it is loud with a bassy feel. The pull is also much better with the 3" system.

I will try to get a video soon on the soundtrack (sorry about that, been busy with my mrs).

Cheers.

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
Here are some of the fronts that we have experienced.

1) Revosports front lip, bonnet and Oettinger side skirts.

2) Caractere MK6 (looks awesome on tornado red)

P

plac

awesome review dude, that catback looks awesome.

its strange how the downpipe goes along the side of the tunnel almost touching, when it has that center area which would be much easier to run at. I suppose the bend at the turbo can't be that deep to make that happen.

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
awesome review dude, that catback looks awesome.

its strange how the downpipe goes along the side of the tunnel almost touching, when it has that center area which would be much easier to run at. I suppose the bend at the turbo can't be that deep to make that happen.

Bro, that's the pic of the 'old' DP (1st version launched by Milltek). I had some issues to get it fitted as after fitting the rear exhaust looks slightly tilted on one side. We tried to fix but there is still a slight tilting.

But the new system was a direct fit. Milltek must look into the standard Mk6 exhaust. I may be wrong but the measurements on the 1st system had some issues (or it could be just the one i bought). :confused:

Cheers.

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice and quick change up intense! I spy the track responder ;).

Haha...ben's eagle eyes. We have it every few months at Sepang F1 track. It's a time attack event. Next event in Oct. That's a stage 2 car on custom tune. But GTIs keep losing to 400bhp evos and subarus. :(

McMerc

On the comestics (R conversion), we had a few conversions here. Some opted for Caractere (which looks very good on tornado red only), some opted for add ons by Oettinger (which still maintains the GTI look). Decided to go for the R look as it still looks OEM and makes the car look slightly more agressive. So, what we did was to experiment with some of the looks available :iono:

It is not a catless DP but a cat that runs on 100 cell (race). The flow is good but I still notice some lag before mayhem comes. Yes, the car is tuned on APR stage 2+ (2+ which is more suitable for 3" DP). You can use stage 2 for 2.75" DP.
So, far in terms of noise, it is loud with a bassy feel. The pull is also much better with the 3" system.

I will try to get a video soon on the soundtrack (sorry about that, been busy with my mrs).

Cheers.

I am thinking of running this new 3" with catless downpipe from milltek. I am running milltek catless donwpipe and 2.75" milltek catback on my mk5. Turbo lag is absolutely minimum as the car start pulling hard at 1500 rpm. But it runs out of breath at higher rpm.

Take you time to make the video, as long as you do not take 2 months to make it. :laugh:

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
?....so i have an 2011, and on millteks site it says custom ecu tuning needed for the 3" system.. am i SOL til APR gets the 2011 tuning cracked?