GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To install Whiteline Control Arm Bushings, or not?

melx.oc

Ready to race!
Your advice for my daily driver is appreciated:

Here are my performance mods.
1. Revo Stage 1

2. VWR lowering springs
3. Bilstein Sport Shocks & Struts Kit

4. ECS Big Break Kit (GTI type) front and rear i.e. EBC red stuff Brake Pad Kit , Neuspeed Brake Lines
5. Neuspeed Rse12 "18
6. Michelin® Pilot® Sport A/S Plus 225/40ZR18

7. Neuspeed Power Pulley Kit
8. Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Pipe
9. Neuspeed Exhaust
10. Neuspeed Front Pipe

11. DieselGeek 6S SS

Question 1: Should I install Whiteline Control Arm Bushings, or is this overkill?

Grateful,
Mel

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Go for it,specially with your car and all the torque! I have it & I love it.:thumbsup:

cromaticx

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you notice any difference in turbo sound or any difference in general when you installed the Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Pipe

melx.oc

Ready to race!
Did you notice any difference in turbo sound or any difference in general when you installed the Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Pipe

Edit:

Performance wise, when matched w Neuspeed intake (which I forgot to mention), yes. More air comes in, and out. Its like I added sprinter's lungs and she can exhale better to recover faster for the next sprint.

Sound from Discharge sounds like Darth Vader in the inside.

Sound from my car heard by other cars is negligible.

Last edited:

Naoki

Ready to race!
Mel, you have some awesome upgrades and a lot of the same as I have. Do you have a build thread?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Mel, How was the pulley kit, does it really make much of a difference? Is it just lightweight or is it an underdrive?

melx.oc

Ready to race!
Mel, you have some awesome upgrades and a lot of the same as I have. Do you have a build thread?

Thank you kind Sir. I thought I’ll spend a grand or two to optimize what the car is capable off.

I really dig my daily driver even when it was ‘stock’. I started with Revo tune last 12/2012. As the car got faster, so were the parts shipped to my house, and appointments with my tuner. I intend to stop by end of 4/2012; else, I have issues. 2013 is a different year though. Having quality mods done right the first time increase my grinning when I commute e.g. making precise turns, down shifting, ride quality etc.

I do not have a build thread. My near future plans aside from the control arm bushings are: katzkin leather interior upgrade (stock type [looks like the R except for the stock TDI headrests, but with perforated inserts]), TWM A6 Black Diamond weighted shifter, and R pedals (with dead pedal).

Naoki: Should I add the Whiteline control arm bushings? Why?

Thank you,
Mel

melx.oc

Ready to race!
Mel, How was the pulley kit, does it really make much of a difference? Is it just lightweight or is it an underdrive?

I installed the pulley on the same day with p-flo intake, and discharge pipe on the same date. I apologize, I can’t isolate the power pulley improvement and give a review. I'm not gonna BS you.

I installed the power pulley because others say that if paired with the Turbo discharge pipe, throttle response would improve. I spoke to Neuspeed customer service and was told that the pulley itself adds horsepower. I think it does.

VR6Growl: Should I add the Whiteline control arm bushings? Why?

Thank you,
Mel

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
It is up to you. The control arm bushings will improve your turn in and tracking through corners, but they will also increase road noise and vibration. With just the control arm bushings the increases will likely be pretty negligible but I haven't done them so I can't comment on the level.

If you value the handling performance over the ride comfort then definitely go for it.

melx.oc

Ready to race!
It is up to you. The control arm bushings will improve your turn in and tracking through corners, but they will also increase road noise and vibration. With just the control arm bushings the increases will likely be pretty negligible but I haven't done them so I can't comment on the level.

If you value the handling performance over the ride comfort then definitely go for it.

I appreciate your input. Road noise and vibration is no bueno. I have to go to a meet and hear for myself. It's much like my Subaru, it's fast; but when I change cars, I can definitely tell the difference.

1 vote to stay in happy medium.
1 vote to mod.

Naoki

Ready to race!
Naoki: Should I add the Whiteline control arm bushings? Why?

Thank you,
Mel

Sounds like your car is pretty close to a track set up. Like VR6Growl said, if you're willing to sacrifice the daily driver type comfort and cross into the threshold of autocross, I would install the W.A.L.K. (Whiteline Anti Lift Kit aka Front Control arm - lower inner rear bushing). From the reviews I've heard from people and read on other threads, it really plants the car. I would also suggest installing sways. These make an extremely noticeable difference around turns. Even getting the smaller diameter aftermarket sways are a huge improvement to stock. I'm still trying to keep my car daily driver with weekend prowess so I went with H&R 26mm Front and 22mm Rear sway bars. Keep us posted on all of these mods! There aren't too many of us oil burners modding our cars.

melx.oc

Ready to race!
Sounds like your car is pretty close to a track set up. Like VR6Growl said, if you're willing to sacrifice the daily driver type comfort and cross into the threshold of autocross, I would install the W.A.L.K. (Whiteline Anti Lift Kit aka Front Control arm - lower inner rear bushing). From the reviews I've heard from people and read on other threads, it really plants the car. I would also suggest installing sways. These make an extremely noticeable difference around turns. Even getting the smaller diameter aftermarket sways are a huge improvement to stock. I'm still trying to keep my car daily driver with weekend prowess so I went with H&R 26mm Front and 22mm Rear sway bars. Keep us posted on all of these mods! There aren't too many of us oil burners modding our cars.

I failed to mention I have Front and Rear 25 mm Hollow ClubSport by Autotech way bars installed. They're great. It's current setting is Front/Medium and Rear/Soft. It will be changed to Front/Hard and Rear/Medium before the day ends.

(I drove my Ma in-law and my 5 month old son to San Diego last week, I downshifted a few times, overtook some drivers who didn't pull their head out off their behind; the Ma in-law said with authority that the ride of my golf was great, FYI: she's used to Mercedes type ride).

Others have said that the road noise and vibrations are negligible.

I appreciate the input Naoki. I may be willing to compromise, I will take your vote as a Yes because I may want to go 'there.'

1 vote to stay in happy medium.
2 votes to mod.

So tough making this decision.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
How about the HPA 75A Red Torque Insert instead of the WALK kit?

The HPA insert takes the slop out of the accelerating from a stop. Also, after 500 miles almost all the vibration is gone and you are left with a more connected feeling car.

kelvillain

Ready to race!
How about the HPA 75A Red Torque Insert instead of the WALK kit?

The HPA insert takes the slop out of the accelerating from a stop. Also, after 500 miles almost all the vibration is gone and you are left with a more connected feeling car.

Since we're talking about this, if I was looking for more stability under throttle would I benefit more from the HPA insert or say the uni brace XB, sway bars, or WALK?