Front_Mudflaps_II.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Mud_Flaps.jpg
    Mud_Flaps.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 7,693
Last edited:

GTi2

Not for me.
Pain in the ass to clean and don't like the look of the plastic sticking out on the side.

FN in MT

Ready to race!
A few of the Union Grey shots ARE my mudflaps.

Unfortunately here in rural MT they are going to be a fact of life. OR else the GTI will get beat up even worse from all the crap on our roads.

With 8.5K on the car I've noticed I already have several small chips on my rear Detroits from gravel/pebbles thrown up by the frt wheels. I'd hazard a guess that damage would be worse without the mudflaps.

I envy you guys who live in concrete jungles for the opportunity to be able to keep a car detailed and clean. Then again...I like shooting in my backyard, the quiet solitude of living in the sticks, lack of Govt intrusion, etc. Small price to pay.

FN in MT

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Mudflaps

Reason for mudflaps.

See pics of mud on undersills & side of body.

I agree with the statement about the front wheels flicking up stones that impact with the rear wheels, causing damage to them. This occured on my MKV GTI Denvers, causing them to look pitted.

Don't like the idea of dark mud against the white paint.

Cheers.
WJ

Attachments

• 20100519_7.JPG
    20100519_7.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 2,009
  • 20100519_8.JPG
    20100519_8.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,649
  • 20100519_11.JPG
    20100519_11.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,690

scbastv

Ready to race!
the mudflaps dont look HORRIBLE if they are necessary for your driving environment...with that said...i would not add them to my car just for shits and giggles...

Poll would have been nice for this thread...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Mine came with mudflaps. I may have to take them off as the right rear drags the pavement when I drive out of my garage. I want to lower so they will definitely cause problems then.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
The first set of pictures of the white GTI with the rack etc. dude looks like a definite outdoors man that goes off the main road, so it fits, the rack, the the towing hitch, and it will save paint etc.

I should probably get them for my dirt road, but i can really pick when i drive the GTI. I really don't like the look as much as without them, but if needed then i say do it, but keep them from turning light gray, because then they will suck.

plat

Ready to race!
I am planning to have splash guards (sounds nicer than mud flaps):) installed on mine when it arrives. I was a bit worried about how it will affect the looks of the MKVI GTI but after seeing your photos, they don't look so bad at all especially on a CSG finish.

You can have the flaps painted so they would disappear. I used to own a 1992 Nissan Sentra and the splash guards (or mud flaps) that came with it were painted to match the body.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I need to take mine off before they rip off. Too much dragging.

camerooney

Ready to race!
Mudflaps are good if you live in regional areas.
I live on the coast and the roads down here in regional NSW are pretty bad. I've got mudflaps on my MKV GTI and I think they suite. Mainly because the rear valance on the MKV isn't colour coded and the black mudflaps go with the black bumper.

On a MKVI GTI, mudflaps look a bit out of place in my opinion.
They don't look bad, but they certainly don't blend in like the MKV's do.
I'd probably still get them if I eventually upgrade to a MKVI, they're a necessity if you drive on shite roads.
:)

nath_mkVI

Ready to race!
The first set of pictures of the white GTI with the rack etc. dude looks like a definite outdoors man that goes off the main road, so it fits, the rack, the the towing hitch, and it will save paint etc.

I should probably get them for my dirt road, but i can really pick when i drive the GTI. I really don't like the look as much as without them, but if needed then i say do it, but keep them from turning light gray, because then they will suck.

that first shot is the VW demo car, had all the options you can get in Aus and different wheels on either side :)

For me they are ugly as hell, but I get that sometimes they are a must, but still.......

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
In CSG the mud flaps look awesome,at first didn't like the idea vs.their benefits but i admit they make look the car complete bet.the side skirts and the mud flaps.In lighter color GTI's don't look bad either addin' that rally retro look into the car..