GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm bored throw some ideas at me..

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
car broker is it exactly what it sounds like, lol... in this case, they are selling them for private parties.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
car broker is it exactly what it sounds like, lol... in this case, they are selling them for private parties.

Aren't you essentially a car broker on the side too?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

The hell is the difference between a "car broker", "car dealer", and a regular private seller?

Dealers have actual licenses and rules, do brokers have their own set of shit or are they just magically avoiding being labeled as dealers somehow?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Aren't you essentially a car broker on the side too?

More of a consultant than a broker. I've helped on maybe 2 private party to private party transactions, but most of the time I am helping on:

Locating/pricing new vehicle
Valuating and determining trade-in value of current veh, if applicable
Exploring finance options prior to the dealer, local credit unions, etc.
Being available in person or via phone/text while the client is at the dealer to assist in negotiations
Assist in the negotiations and help the client to know when to leave, turn down certain warranties, services, extras, and so on and so forth.
Push for adequate trade-in value negotiations

I've helped some people easily save $3K on the entire transaction (trade in value and new car price negotiations combined), from the numbers they first got going. Many people are clueless on this stuff, but obviously many others are also very capable of doing this stuff on their own.

The hell is the difference between a "car broker", "car dealer", and a regular private seller?

Dealers have actual licenses and rules, do brokers have their own set of shit or are they just magically avoiding being labeled as dealers somehow?

I think it can vary by state as far as licensing requirements to be a dealer, etc.

There have been these "broker" type people for years now, who buy and sell cars for people and take a cut of the sale. I do not know if you have to be licensed to do this necessarily, but agreements are usually signed, basically a selling fee, almost like being a real estate agent. We bought my 87 944 from a service like that.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85718

dat mileage doe^?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If it wasn't for the IMS bearing issue on the 06-08 Porsches I'd get the one I posted... that's my main reservation... I'd hate to feel like it is a ticking time bomb. Kind of mulling over that right now...

2006 29k miles silver/black/manual 1 owner at broker for 29k

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yea the worst part about the 06-08 models is the fact that you can't even "fix" the bearing. You basically have to pull/rebuild the engine... I know some ppl claim the failure rates are really low while others claim the contrary. It is really hard to find good info.

At this point I'd almost rather get a 05 911, and have my buddy put in a new updated bearing and call it a day... but 05s are pricy and getting a bit on the older side....

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Is the 05 911 the 997 or the late 996 style before the refresh? it's close, right? I think those still look pretty good.

If you are just gonna DD it, aren't your odds low on the IMS thing?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
911 is for posers, save/wait for 09 or 14 base cayman

Yea to be honest I am not too keen on 911... Although I have never driven one. I don't see many reasons to get it over the cayman.

I can wait around for the 09 S models to come down in price that isn't too big of a deal. Currently they are hovering at 45k which is insane considering they are 98% the same car.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Is the 05 911 the 997 or the late 996 style before the refresh? it's close, right? I think those still look pretty good.

If you are just gonna DD it, aren't your odds low on the IMS thing?

I don't know the odds to be frank but it does seem like a real issue. There are a ton of issues in the previous gen... and the sheer #s of the 06-08 cayman are so low that its really hard to gauge a true failure rate. That Damn Obama economy

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I bet it's a non-issue, but I'd still be worried about it in the back of my mind, too.

My corvette from 19-55k miles had the following issues
Failed EBCM module
Cracked rear wheels
leaky rear end
failed hatch paint towards the end

So I am not so keen on taking my chances with a 20k engine in a 29k car... Porsche parts are insanely priced (goes without saying) the other issue is... labor at a dealer is I think around 250-300 an hour... these techs/dealers make bank.

I may try and see if I can go a carmax route with extended warranty ... but that's a bit of a crap shoot.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
any indie shops by you? I was lucky, one of the largest in the midwest was 2miles from where I grew up, so they had inspected my 996 and had very good rates, etc.