GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 1.8/2.0T EA113/EA888 Gen 1 Cast Downpipe Exhaust System!

corydd

Go Kart Champion
According to that video, the catalyst is designed and emissions tested in California, which is pretty much the strictest state. The spokesperson more or less guaranteed it would pass an emissions test anywhere in North America. Very interesting. I'm assuming it would fail a visual though.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Haven't tried replicating the emission test setups of the 30+ states that require emissions would be my guess.

Correct. That's the question I thought was being asked. The P0420 code will trigger as we're not spacing out the rear o2 sensor to trick the signal. The ECU is setup to trigger this code when the catalyst falls below the very strict OEM specification, not the specifications set up by individual states. Just to clarify again, we haven't tested this catalyst at any emissions stations, so we are not claiming it will pass or fail.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Haven't tried replicating the emission test setups of the 30+ states that require emissions would be my guess.

Isn't that complicated to bolt up a downpipe and see if it triggers a CEL on a stock tune. And if it does, see if they can eliminate the CEL with a O2 spacer.

Why they wouldn't do such a thing during development... well, I can't even begin to even.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
How does it take state requirements to see if the check engine light comes on with no tune and their downpipe?

When I hear "passes emissions" I don't think of just the CEL (which really has little to do with emissions, it's just a requirement of the manufacturer to meet some specific level of measurement accuracy and record a P code when the car exceeds some level). I think of the full test setup, including the sniffer, OBDII readout, etc.

Isn't that complicated to bolt up a downpipe and see if it triggers a CEL on a stock tune. And if it does, see if they can eliminate the CEL with a O2 spacer.

Why they wouldn't do such a thing during development... well, I can't even begin to even.

Well you have to imagine that during the OBDII check those readings with one 400 cell cat won't be anywhere near the 1600 cells of a stock downpipe anyways. The stock file is looking at the same #'s. No aftermarket downpipe would pass emissions without spacers.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
When I hear "passes emissions" I don't think of just the CEL (which really has little to do with emissions, it's just a requirement of the manufacturer to meet some specific level of measurement accuracy and record a P code when the car exceeds some level). I think of the full test setup, including the sniffer, OBDII readout, etc.

In PA, it's based on lack of CEL, and readiness of systems. All systems go on OBDII vehicles = clear for takeoff.

Well you have to imagine that during the OBDII check those readings with one 400 cell cat won't be anywhere near the 1600 cells of a stock downpipe anyways. The stock file is looking at the same #'s. No aftermarket downpipe would pass emissions without spacers.

It would behoove them to test the downpipe equipped with the catalyst and a variety of spacers to determine whether it passes a simple CEL check or not.

16plus4v

Ready to race!
While I no longer own a MK6 (MK7 now) I can't help but notice the amount of people still ragging on APR over the exhaust mishap. They've seem to have moved on from what seemed to be a bad business deal, and are now offering in house USA" built products which are casted and designed to last the life of the vehicle. What more do you want from a company? If they didn't care, they'd continue to sell the crap that got them into this mess to begin with. You think $750 is bad for a catted 400 cell downpipe? Check out the pricing on the MK7 downpipes and intakes with the reputable brands..

Some things are better left unsaid, but at least these guys are still around over a decade strong and are still answering valid questions quickly and professionally. If you have a personal issue, take it up with APR (especially when they have politely asked you to contact them to resolve your personal issue, AKA they care what you have to say and would rather take things off of the forums to avoid other trolls from intervening and intentionally slander their business model). Don't act like a douche in their threads to gain 'cred', you're only trolling...

:fighting0030:

Bender1

Banned
While I no longer own a MK6 (MK7 now) I can't help but notice the amount of people still ragging on APR over the exhaust mishap. They've seem to have moved on from what seemed to be a bad business deal, and are now offering in house USA" built products which are casted and designed to last the life of the vehicle. What more do you want from a company? If they didn't care, they'd continue to sell the crap that got them into this mess to begin with. You think $750 is bad for a catted 400 cell downpipe? Check out the pricing on the MK7 downpipes and intakes with the reputable brands..

Here is the issue: APR never owned up to their part in the false advertising of features in their exhausts. While I personally think this was done at their direction, that doesn't matter. There was never a mea cupla. It is their responsibility to do right by their customers and to act transparently. Since they did not, every action forward is suspect. THEY got themselves into this mess even if it was accidental (which, if you were in business, you would know accidents like this don't happen).

Do I think the likelihood is that this cat is the real deal? Most likely it is. Am I confident enough to put my money down for it? Absolutely not.

If I can't have that level of confidence, then it is my duty as a moderator to challenge the vendor. I have done it for years on here but now that it is the 'sacred cow' that is APR people get butthurt about it.

I have no skin in this game but I don't want someone that does to get burned.

I'll be very clear as to what I want from APR: I want them to own up to their old fuckups and go above and beyond on EVERY product for the foreseeable future. I want them to be transparent. I want them to stop being arrogant. Hell, word on the street is that today they are not even letting their distributors ask questions in front of other distributors (online) about their products. That is the height of a lack of transparency, the height of arrogance, and fundamentally shows an extreme lack of integrity.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Here is the issue: APR never owned up to their part in the false advertising of features in their exhausts. While I personally think this was done at their direction, that doesn't matter. There was never a mea cupla. It is their responsibility to do right by their customers and to act transparently. Since they did not, every action forward is suspect. THEY got themselves into this mess even if it was accidental (which, if you were in business, you would know accidents like this don't happen).

Do I think the likelihood is that this cat is the real deal? Most likely it is. Am I confident enough to put my money down for it? Absolutely not.

If I can't have that level of confidence, then it is my duty as a moderator to challenge the vendor. I have done it for years on here but now that it is the 'sacred cow' that is APR people get butthurt about it.

I'll be very clear as to what I want from APR: I want them to own up to their old fuckups and go above and beyond on EVERY product for the foreseeable future. I want them to be transparent. I want them to stop being arrogant. Hell, word on the street is that today they are not even letting their distributors ask questions in front of other distributors (online) about their products. That is the height of a lack of transparency, the height of arrogance, and fundamentally shows an extreme lack of integrity.

This!

The biggest issue is that APR always spread this arrogant, holier that thou, our products are the best attitude. When it was proven they weren't the best they blamed everyone but themselves and then disappeared. They never sucked it up and did the right thing and admitted they F'd up! Now they're peddling new products under this supposed new regime and expecting the community to just go on like nothing happened? Get real! Trust has been lost. Do the right thing! Own up to it!

dopedpanda

Ready to race!

Couldn´t agree more.

For me, using so much time/effort to build a new downpipe, only tells me that the old vendor dumped them.

It was stated in the other tread that they had missed payments with the company that used to build their exhaust system.

Its the only reason i can think off that makes sense for them to start building a new down pipe.

The market for this downpipe is relatively small compared to you already got a offer on the market that is doing fine. Its "alot" of work to source out a new build if you are not; 1: getting screwed by your first supplier. 2: wanna cut the cost of building it down and make your profit bigger.

I don´t have any problems with APR, but i wont forget how they handled the last episode with these exhaust.

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
Props to APR taking this in-house, it's a bold move. Hopefully that means more quality control will be done as well, as they're responsible for the whole ordeal.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
BENDER FOR PRESIDENT.