GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much should my suspension install cost?

zee

Go Kart Champion
There are a few shops in the GTA that install coilovers for about $200. You need to shop around some more.

Last edited:

HOLLIS

Ready to race!
I paid $300 to install my coilovers. Including 2 wheel alignments. One alignment just after install and another after everything settled.

And to grambles423, Why would i want to do it myself? I dont know about you but, my time is valuable too me. I'll leave the work to the professionals that own a hoist.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
You need to wake up because more than 1/2 of the users on any forum are going to shops to have work done. A car enthusiast doesn't need to work on his own car to be an enthusiast. I don't see your point because if someone wanted to do it themselves then they would have done so. For you to sit there are say you're not an enthusiast is just plain silly.

Also for any shop owner who lets a customer come in and help with their install is a moron due to possible insurance implications if the customer was seriously injured.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to complain/argue with me just because I commented against your post. I never said I wasnt an enthusiast. I was saying I LEARN by DOING. I never got to where I'm working now by letting people do the job for me. Hands on is the greatest experience anyone can get. And why someone who wants to work on their car and modify it cant do so knowingly and have no apt for learning is beyond me. But again, I seem to be misunderstood. If its what someone wants to do, I have no problem against that. Nobody should care anyways...I'm just another person that they'll never meet in their lives. I'm just opinionated.

And maybe I've misunderstood the line between being an enthusiast and doing my career. I live by designing cars, touching cars, and testing cars. I fondle a car every hour of every day. I have learned that you can save SO MUCH DAMN MONEY by doing the job yourself. Granted I have infinite available resources where I work/live, but if someone wants to save money, they can do it themselves, EVEN if they rented the tools to do the job. Its still significant.

Also, it is ignorant to say such a thing about the shop. I know you know what a security waiver is for so I'm not going to try and insult your intelligence. Many shops around here are open to such. So my point is valid.

And to grambles423, Why would i want to do it myself? I dont know about you but, my time is valuable too me. I'll leave the work to the professionals that own a hoist.

Nobody is stopping you. If thats what you feel then so be it. I'm not criticizing what you value, I'm criticizing the irony and hyprocracy behind it. Political stuff....you know?

Who knows....maybe I'm just trolling you guys for some good coversation.

Last edited:

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I love working on the car if I can given the tools needed. I like learning about it. Some I do myself, some I have the shop do.

If you do have any modifications done, at the very least, know exactly whats going on with the particular modification.

AdvanSuper

Banned
I'm not sure why you feel the need to complain/argue with me just because I commented against your post. This seems to happen to you alot over on the GOLFMKV forums. I never said I wasnt an enthusiast. I was saying I LEARN by DOING. I never got to where I'm working now by letting people do the job for me. Hands on is the greatest experience anyone can get. And why someone who wants to work on their car and modify it cant do so knowingly and have no apt for learning is beyond me. But again, I seem to be misunderstood. If its what someone wants to do, I have no problem against that. Nobody should care anyways...I'm just another person that they'll never meet in their lives. I'm just opinionated.
I don't see why you feel you need to complain about people not working on their own cars. It has nothing to do with you being misunderstood, but the fact that you felt the need to complain about others not doing their own work and still calling themselves a car enthusiast. You say you're opinionated, well I'd like to welcome you to a thing called forums where opinions can clash in the form of discussions.

And maybe I've misunderstood the line between being an enthusiast and doing my career. I live by designing cars, touching cars, and testing cars. I fondle a car every hour of every day. I have learned that you can save SO MUCH DAMN MONEY by doing the job yourself. Granted I have infinite available resources where I work/live, but if someone wants to save money, they can do it themselves, EVEN if they rented the tools to do the job. Its still significant.
It's not significant he asked for quotes, not reasons why he should do it himself

Also, it is ignorant to say such a thing about the shop. I know you know what a security waiver is for so I'm not going to try and insult your intelligence. Many shops around here are open to such. So my point is valid.
You live in Lovertown :thumbsup: and he's in Canada, not all shops practice the same thing.

Nobody is stopping you. If thats what you feel then so be it. I'm not criticizing what you value, I'm criticizing the irony and hyprocracy behind it. Political stuff....you know?

Who knows....maybe I'm just trolling you guys for some good coversation.

Responses in bold.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Grambles needs to chill the fuck out.. jeebus.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The OP is just looking for simple validation on time and cost of install.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
All in for fun and games =]

I'm chill as balls man.....no worries!

OP I'd at least try and get alignment in that price

Artysta

Ready to race!
$0 Just do it yourself.

I dont understand why people dont want to put stuff on themselves. If you're going to mod your car, you need to understand it a bit better and not have everyone do it for you. $150 will get you a floor jack and jack stands. that'll easily be paid for in your suspension install.

Its never $0 dollars unless you have the ideal setup with the ideal tools for the job. What if during the installation something breaks, how will I then put it back together. I'll most likely be stuck without a car for days in order for that part to come in. Not everyone has the luxury of dicking around with their car for days. I do minor installations (intake etc..) that I know will not cripple my car for days if something doesn't go according to plan. If it takes 2-3 hrs for a professional shop to complete the task then I would assume it would probably take 10-15 hrs for a novice assuming that they have the proper tools. Just my 2 cents.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
I just had my coilovers installed here in BC and it was just over 3hrs and $300 w/out align't.

The align't is being done for free as part of my deal in purchasing the car.
:w00t: