GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Cheated on Emissions Testing?

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I'm putting out an open offer to any California TDI owner to purchase their 2015 TDI for $10,000. Must have navigation

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
I'm putting out an open offer to any California TDI owner to purchase their 2015 TDI for $10,000. Must have navigation

exactly... im going to sit back and wait for the sky is falling tdi owners and buy one on the cheap

Jaber

Modero
Silly question, does a tune do anything for this emission things? (clearly I don't know anything about TDIs).

I.e. If one were to buy a TDi after the dust settles and VW applies a fix. Will getting a tune help in any aspect of regaining the power/mpg?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The problem for VW is that Volkswagen is killing Polar Bears.
(And other cute animals.)

GM only killed people.

In another time this would be nothing, but the enviro er.. Nazis are a determined bunch.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
The problem for VW is that Volkswagen is killing Polar Bears.
(And other cute animals.)

GM only killed people.

In another time this would be nothing, but the enviro er.. Nazis are a determined bunch.

Do Nazis goose step to work or do they drive or something else?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Do Nazis goose step to work or do they drive or something else?

Enviro Nazis drive Prius. (Prii?)
The wealthy ones drive Teslas.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Enviro Nazis drive Prius. (Prii?)
The wealthy ones drive Teslas.

Sounds like a huge demographic. Soon we normal folks will be in the minority.

We need a solution to finally solve this problem before it gets to that point. These Nazis are going to destroy us.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
We need to weed out and concentrate these environmental nazis into their own space or camps. For our own safety and to preserve our way of life while we contemplate the solution

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
If VW cheated on the tests, they should be fined heavily. Those of you who are criticizing emissions controls and tests are woefully ignorant of the improvements they have brought in air quality across the US.

New cars and trucks emit a very small fraction of the pollution from older uncontrolled vehicles. Even though some people still drive old vehicles without emissions controls, the percentages go down year by year and account for a small portion of the total cars on the road.

Since the EPA started requiring emissions controls on cars and cleaner fuels, levels of air pollution have declined dramatically -- contributing to huge improvements in air quality across the US. Diesel cars and trucks were one of the last vehicle segments to require controls, and were largely exempt for many years. Anyone who has gotten stuck behind an old diesel car or truck with no controls know how stinky and smoky they are.

Everyone has to breathe, and you can't easily avoid polluted air like you can water. So, the improvements in air quality have direct benefits to public health for everyone, leading to fewer respiratory problems, lung disease and lower death rates. How anyone could oppose that is beyond me. If you long for the good old days when cars and trucks had no controls, and fuels contained lead and sulfur, I suggest that you move to China and enjoy the smog.

Clean air is valued by many people. If VW was deliberately cheating on emissions tests, a lot of customers would buy cars from other companies. I, for one, would not buy a VW now knowing what has recently come out.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
the EPA has nothing but a radical environmentalist agenda.

I never said congress wasn't to blame. Congress gave the power to the EPA. Now they are running around throwing around threats of 18 billion dollar fines again for a NON SAFETY issue. They need to reign back those agencies and their rubber stamping of laws and interpretations of the laws.

You sound rediculous. Let me break it down:

Radical environmental agenda. Well fuck me if the environmental protection agency has anything to do with environmental protection!

18 billion dollar fine. Was never cited by the EPA. Someone, perhaps in the NYT article, found the largest possible per-car fine the EPA can grant against a violation of their statutes. It actually has nothing to do with the defeat device.

Now if you don't want to read what I wrote and ask constructive questions about why things are the way they are in an attempt to find a realistic solution, you might as well bury your face back into the hole you crawled out of. Or go surround yourself with the people who gave you that rhetoric in the first place. Same fucking thing.

GTInSuch2

Passed Driver's Ed
You sound rediculous. Let me break it down:

Radical environmental agenda. Well fuck me if the environmental protection agency has anything to do with environmental protection!

18 billion dollar fine. Was never cited by the EPA. Someone, perhaps in the NYT article, found the largest possible per-car fine the EPA can grant against a violation of their statutes. It actually has nothing to do with the defeat device.

Now if you don't want to read what I wrote and ask constructive questions about why things are the way they are in an attempt to find a realistic solution, you might as well bury your face back into the hole you crawled out of. Or go surround yourself with the people who gave you that rhetoric in the first place. Same fucking thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/09/us/colorado-epa-mine-river-spill/

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Silly question, does a tune do anything for this emission things? (clearly I don't know anything about TDIs).

I.e. If one were to buy a TDi after the dust settles and VW applies a fix. Will getting a tune help in any aspect of regaining the power/mpg?

Time to look into the DPF & EGR delete with a tune. That way you can reclaim your lost ponies and fuel economy, assuming you don't take advantage of the added torque. ;)