GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
They didn't replace the thermostat, union or belt? You'll be back to the dealership soon.

No apparently not part of the VW recall campaign. Oh well as long as it's covered under warranty if/when the time comes. Gotta love VW reliability...

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
No apparently not part of the VW recall campaign. Oh well as long as it's covered under warranty if/when the time comes. Gotta love VW reliability...

Those idiots should have replaced the entire water pump housing which includes the thermostat. Another reason why I can't stand half-ass work, especially by dealerships.

zrickety

The Fixer
Is that not the right part number? The water pump 'module' is a complete unit, I bought mine it came with everything but the o-rings. Bought the union new because it was cheap.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Is that not the right part number? The water pump 'module' is a complete unit, I bought mine it came with everything but the o-rings. Bought the union new because it was cheap.

I double-checked and it is the entire housing including the t-stat. However, if it was done by the dealership, it will leak again. That's pretty much a guarantee.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
The dealership said they were rushing to have it done by end of day. Felt real confident after hearing that lol. Can't see this ending well, but time will tell.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
I had my water pump replaced almost 25k miles ago and now I'm pretty sure my thermostat is getting stuck. I'm at 72k now and I can't find a diy to replace it. Can anyone help? Is it basicly the same as replacing the water pump? Please tell me it isn't.

seanle

Ready to race!
weird.. is the water pump replacement under recall, service campaign, or updates? I went in today a local VW dealership to get it replaced but because my car had a total loss they wouldn't replace it because it was under "coolant pump update."

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I had my water pump replaced almost 25k miles ago and now I'm pretty sure my thermostat is getting stuck. I'm at 72k now and I can't find a diy to replace it. Can anyone help? Is it basicly the same as replacing the water pump? Please tell me it isn't.

Thermostat is on the left side of the housing if you're looking at it from the front. As for a DIY, I have not seen one just for that part. If you want more clearance, remove the intake manifold first. It's not that hard to do honestly.

zrickety

The Fixer
You'll eventually get a code for the thermostat if it's stuck open. Access is terrible, so it is basically the same DIY if I recall.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
You'll eventually get a code for the thermostat if it's stuck open. Access is terrible, so it is basically the same DIY if I recall.

My check engine light has been on for a while. haven't scanned it yet but I'm guessing it's a thermostat code. My temp gauge moves up a few notches after driving for a while but returns to normal at stop lights or when I'm going downhill.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
They didn't replace the thermostat, union or belt? You'll be back to the dealership soon.

The recall is for the wp which includes the thermostat. The belt is not included, we don't replace the union but the two oringss get replaced, 2 other bolts, the balance shaft bolt and the seal at the balance shaft, and the throttle body gasket.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
what code do you guys get with the thermostat? I get a P2568 ozone code on my radiator. on my third and got code a week after install.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
In case people are not aware...

If you received a letter from VW about the Campaign Reinbursement, THEY will not reimburse you for the parts (including labor) if your VIN does not show up in their database. I just contacted VWOA and that's what the rep told me. Another reason why VW suck balls,