GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trading in my 2013 GTI for a 2016

the mk7 is nice, although it is just an mk6 that's had its curves chiseled away; and yes, I've looked at em' more than enough at the dealer lot on a Sunday.

Both are sweet looking, but in the end, they're both utilitarian boxes that pay homage to the Guigiaro original. Nothing fancy.

That red stripe in the the headlamp is quite original. Unnecessary, but unique. That's not what is annoying about the headlamp; that orange sidemarker is fugly.

Rascal

Ready to race!
My GTI is treating me well and I have it dialed in to what I want it for, so no plans to change, but I would have no problem getting a MK7 for whatever reason. I am tempted by the R...IF I could get my hands on the one I want and not get totally dealer raped in the process. Reeeally wish they did Euro Delivery :mad:

doublevanosrc

Feeding My Fast daily
I was at the dealer the other day and it was so damn tempting. Too far upside down though. I also have the lagunas, and I would absolutely keep them. Good call. Got anymore pics of them on the 7?

+1

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The new car looks good, don't get me wrong. It's just that they kept so many cues from the mk6 I can't see the reason to upgrade. Now if they bring another 2 door R...

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but:

Having had the 6 (I love the 6 still by the way) when you actually had one, then the other - and have it in three dimensions in front of you where you had the previous one - they are more different than they appear at a glance.
Walk around them, and the MK7 is far more contoured. (It actually appears more boxy and slab sided in photos though.
It's also significantly lower and wider.
It's the stuff the you can't see that's more notable though:
The steering being one turn quicker lock to lock.
The huge increase in torque.
The tighter body structure.
Then there's the performance pack for those who want to go that route.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

Having had the 6 (I love the 6 still by the way) when you actually had one, then the other - and have it in three dimensions in front of you where you had the previous one - they are more different than they appear at a glance.
Walk around them, and the MK7 is far more contoured. (It actually appears more boxy and slab sided in photos though.

I hope all this is included in the MK8 :D

But in all honestly, I see where your coming from that being an owner of the car gives you plenty more time to soak in the curves and angles that you wouldn't see at glances or quick trips to a dealer, however with that said, there are plenty of cars I can see at a glance or in pictures, and they look great. If you are having a hard time getting a nice look of a car up until you really sit there with it and appreciate it more, there is probably something off, no? :iono:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It's not tape, it's integrated into the housing.
If you look at a MK7 Golf, the same thing is done only with chrome.
I can't tell you what to like, but I think it looks great.

I know, that's what I said.
And I wasn't judging the stripe...the other guy was

That's not what is annoying about the headlamp; that orange sidemarker is fugly.

BUT it's better than the orange marker lights (in the bumper) that the MK6 had...for the Euro look. You win one battle but gain another LOL

Can't change the US regulations unfortunately

Change the sidemarkers on an mk6/ mk5 to clears / smoked or painted and you're golden.

Can't do that to the mk7 orange markers unless you wanna crack open the housing

For all the mk7 love in this mk6 forum thread- (quicker steering/ better build/ wider track, 4 wheel xds, exterior curvaceousness, etc), can someone explain why the mk7 non-PP is NO faster around a roadcourse than the mk6?

No, it's not the tires, please; the mk7 was on its summer tire option.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...7-GTI-(non-pp)-run-same-exact-time-as-MK6-GTI

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84177

Everyday livability, comfort, ride, fuel, deep discounts = I'd give the mk7 an obvious bump over the mk6; it's a better overall everyday proposition, admittedly, but that shouldn't have been any surprise.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm not surprised, stock for stock they are very close. Mk6 is arguably better looking, and being German made is a plus IMO.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
being German made is a plus IMO.

x2 on this

MK6 R wasn't bad...don't get me wrong. But if I had the money and no kids, which can't happen, I'd probably grab a MK7 R while they're still being made there. Seems like they are stupid fast with a tune

I think the MK7 interior looks/feels a little cheaper than the MK6 though.

Last edited:

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion

The number one reason for me not to switch is the amount of headroom I get in the mk6 vs mk7. I track the mk6 and my long trunk 6'3 frame would not allow for me to fit a helmet in the mk7. I have tried and failed.
So significantly lower is not necessarily a good thing.

My gti with 265 tires on 9 inch wheels et 35 has a wider track than the mk7

You can get a quicker steering using the passat uprights :) which I rock.

The k04 takes care of the torque.

Jumping from 14k to 31k from a pure performance point of view does not make sense.

New car smell... now that's something else.
I'll give you the tighter structure; but after all the bracing...

I appreciate the stilling of the mk7, but prefer the mk6 look with a better balance of soft corners. Then again looks are subjective.

Enjoy the ownership :) And drive like you stole it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk