GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Generation GTI Reigns Supreme?

Philimon

Ready to race!
Well, let's not forget the mk6's better dampers/ springs/ sways, electronic lsd, and the cam-follower-less TSI motor..

I've owned both. The mk5 opened my eyes; the mk6 opens my eyes every day..still.

As for outright performance, chk lightning lap stats below... 6 second difference between an mk5 (#174) and the 2010 mk6 (#162)

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

That's one phenomenal "RESKIN" :thumbsup:

Trading mildly upgraded suspension for aesthetics imo. My GTI gets used for family hauling 99% of the time. Though cam-follower-less TSI I had no idea, so if that's reliability related then I would have to say mkvi overall better. Thanks for opening my eyes.

ALSO no one has posted a pic yet of the crowd favorite.:

ALSO the GTI Clubsport S is the new FWD king of the Nurburgring:
http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-says-the-golf-gti-clubsport-s-is-the-new-fro-1774644166
Not sold in america though

StayStetti

Banned
I liked my mk5 much more than the mk6. You can tell they cut corners quality wise to save a dime. But I don't think they're that much better visually besides the front grill.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Agreed! I loved my 20th mk4, when I sold it ( I still regret it to this day) the mk5 wasn't doing much for me, ie the headlights and tail lights were ugly to me, it didn't look sporty at least to me.
After driving the mk7 the chassis feels so much more lively so I think they did a great job improving the 6.
The exterior is definitely a reason why I still love my 6 after 2.5 years though...[emoji106]

And I haven't tuned it yet... [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

www.COBBTUNING.com

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
As much as I talk ish about VW, part of me wouldn't mind having an MK7 Golf R with a DSG... I'd get a downpipe and stage 2 that car ASAP. Granted, I'd to the same to an S3, lol.

Only problem, getting back into consulting is becoming closer to reality for me. It would be a shame to purchase a Golf R or S3 only to have it sit at the airport most of the time.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
As much as I talk ish about VW, part of me wouldn't mind having an MK7 Golf R with a DSG... I'd get a downpipe and stage 2 that car ASAP. Granted, I'd to the same to an S3, lol.

Only problem, getting back into consulting is becoming closer to reality for me. It would be a shame to purchase a Golf R or S3 only to have it sit at the airport most of the time.

Maybe. But think about how happy you'd be to get back behind the wheel of your R/S3 every time you get home.

I commute 400 miles a week to/from school and my mom lets me use her car bc mine's a lease. Every time I get back into my car after driving the CC, I'm grinning ear to ear.

Bc #thishoeaintloyal, i'm gonna go with the MK7. I like nice new things, maybe you can call me a sheepish american consumer.

If anyone calls the 7 anything less than a "revolution" from the 6, they simply don't know what they're talking about :)

More reliable, responds even better to tuning, gets even better gas mileage, weighs less, rides smoother while performing better (non-PP as well as PP, and non-DCC as well as DCC), (i'm gonna get flak for this one) more "features," is more Audi than any previous GTI has ever been.

Complaints: absolute travesty LP doesn't come with LED tails, cloth only available on base model, doesn't look as good from behind as the mk6 (miss my '12 SB's booty shot)

itsa revolution alright... drives like a hot rodded Camry now. :D

I've driven the mk7 and I like the fact that it is the most composed, fast, and supple GTI ever.

But I felt disconnected somehow. The raw fun feel of the mk5 has finally been polished away.

oh well.. Revolt away.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Aesthetically for me, MK6, MK4, MK7, MK1, Mk2, MK5, MK1. Which I'm drawn to most, anything MK4 on, each for different reasons

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I personally hate the way the mk5 looks, especially in rear end. That alone is a huge turn off.

My favorite Gti's as far as styling is the mk4. I wanted one when I was in high school and couple of my friends had one (both 1.8t), that was when mk5 was new. I'm told they kind of suck performance wise. I love the r32 exhaust note. I even toyed an idea to get a vr6 mk4 and throw a turbo on it.

Mk6 is a good looking car, but you can't really tell whether it's a GTI, or Golf or even an R from a distance. Most people just think it's just a regular Golf anyway. it doesn't show much difference compared to Focus vs Focus ST, or even mk7 golf vs gti.

I like the mk7, cause i like the boxy look more, it kinda reminds me of a modern mk4.

I think mk6 drives good and feel better overall for normal driving, and driving the mk7 makes the mk6 feel like a POS. But mk6 had better steering and feel more like a sporty car, but doesn't really handle like one compared to competition, whereas mk7 feels like a poor mans audi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Bc #thishoeaintloyal, i'm gonna go with the MK7. I like nice new things, maybe you can call me a sheepish american consumer.

If anyone calls the 7 anything less than a "revolution" from the 6, they simply don't know what they're talking about :)

More reliable, responds even better to tuning, gets even better gas mileage, weighs less, rides smoother while performing better (non-PP as well as PP, and non-DCC as well as DCC), (i'm gonna get flak for this one) more "features," is more Audi than any previous GTI has ever been.

Complaints: absolute travesty LP doesn't come with LED tails, cloth only available on base model, doesn't look as good from behind as the mk6 (miss my '12 SB's booty shot)

agreed, the rear end, especially with LED tails is what I miss my mk6 the most.