GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WHAT COMES AFTER A GTI ?

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Depends on your suspension setup and how you drive it. Rwd cars understeer also if driven poorly.

Driving style can help mitigate undesirable handling dynamics, but it doesn't change the platform. These cars handle great for what they are but still tend to understeer at the limit. Can't really get away from it. I'm already on coilovers with the front slightly lower and a rear sway bar at the stiffest setting. I can get it to oversteer for a hot second, but it still understeers more and sure as hell can't maintain a drift.

Last edited:

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Depends on the driver, and what you want out of your next car. It'll also depend on what's available at the time and your wallet size.

In my case, since I have previously owned AWD, currently own FWD, and want to try RWD - my next options are vast!

Affordable, brand new
Miata
BRZ
Genesis 3.8 Track (Shitty car, but potential.)
135i
Mustang GT

Speculators speculate and Honda gave a green light to a S2000 redesign and launch! Apparently this thing is in the works for a US debut sometime next year!

Out of my price range new,
*M3
*Cayman S
*Corvette
Lotus

* Used versions of car, within price range.

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
get an ecoboost mustang. Mk7 is an upgrade, but it feels more like a luxury car. thank me later.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
While everybody is talking tunes, mk7s, and Audis, I'm probably in the minority here in saying that I'm interested in a Mazda3.

thats gotta be a troll

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Depends on your suspension setup and how you drive it. Rwd cars understeer also if driven poorly.
This. With my RSB and some H&R SS springs, my car handles very neutral on the track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SyDiko

Ready to race!
This. With my RSB and some H&R SS springs, my car handles very neutral on the track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm with you, understeer is easily countered with suspension mods for the GTI.

If you don't want to make big power (350+ WHP or more,) than the FWD platform will suffice. However, if the itch proceeds, then AWD/RWD will setups will become appetizing.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
thats gotta be a troll

Not trolling (see post count). I just don't consider myself to a be fanboy of any specific brand. I loved my 2008 Rabbit when I owned that for 5 years. And I love my 2014 GTI now (and don't plan to get rid of it until at least 100k miles). But going forward I'm just not impressed with VW's current offerings. If they maybe offered a Polo GTI or Scirocco then the story might be different.

Nice, but they are gutless.

Yeah they're definitely slower. But I really have zero interest in getting into drag races with other drivers at stop lights. What made it more enjoyable (for me) was that the throttle felt more responsive, and the steering felt a little more nimble and required less effort around tighter turns. These are just things I look for in a fun daily driver. It's not always about raw power. Same reason why a Miata is considered fun to some drivers.

Me007gold

Ready to race!
While everybody is talking tunes, mk7s, and Audis, I'm probably in the minority here in saying that I'm interested in a Mazda3.

I fail to see the point in going from one 5 door hatch, to another. Unless the one your getting has AWD. (Golf R, Focus RS, WRX)

Philimon

Ready to race!
Yeah they're definitely slower. But I really have zero interest in getting into drag races with other drivers at stop lights. What made it more enjoyable (for me) was that the throttle felt more responsive, and the steering felt a little more nimble and required less effort around tighter turns. These are just things I look for in a fun daily driver. It's not always about raw power. Same reason why a Miata is considered fun to some drivers.

I'm with you. Power is last on my fun to drive characteristics. Responsiveness, etc. is more important for around town driving to me. Which is why I like driving my Suzuki as much as the GTI. The Suzuki's steering and acceleration is so immediate it just feels more connected n lively. Also, the less luxurious sound deadening compared to the GTI also makes it feel more raw for short trips around town. The engine sounds nice and happy to rev even though power is way down. However, the gearing is way short at first so from stops to go is still good.

The current Mazda3 sounds great based on the reviews, but the backseat is a little small for me, which is why I want a Mazda6 instead. Plus the 6 is just better. Better styling and bigger wheels and the recent refresh with the electronic parking brake makes it look much neater inside.

EDIT: Let me elaborate a little bit on the sound deadening thing. It's not just that. It's the sound of the engine you're missing when driving too. It's like in the GTI it mostly sounds like fancy exhaust sounds with some cool turbo noises when you're doing it right. With the Suzuki it's engine noise. It's a sorta deep and raspy engine when you accelerate, and when you accelerate hard it is loud like you are about to launch to 100mph. Also, when you're standing outside the Suzuki with the engine running, it sounds like the same car you were just driving with that engine sound. When you stand outside the GTI, it doesn't sound like the cool car you were just driving. The braaaahhhhh dsg fart exhaust is gone and no turbo noise, it just sounds kinda weak (though its not). I think it would help if I got an aftermarket intake for the GTI, but I keep reading from people that it's not good for the longevity of the engine because it's more prone to taking in dirt n debris.

Last edited:

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I really enjoy my MK6 GTI , but I sometimes wonder what will replace my GTI when I get tired of it ? I work for a car dealership ( not VW ) but we sell a lot of High end used cars like Audi - BMW- Mercedes-Lexus-Porsche ... So temptation to change is there all the time...
I wonder should I upgrade the power & go to stage 1+ or 2 or buy something new that has 300hp ?

Staying: Golf R
Leaving: Bimmer or Merc, 6 cyl. twin turbo.

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
I might wait for mk8 Gti
Since I've owned mk2 currently own mk4 and mk6
2,4,6,8!

Sent from my dumb phone using Tapatalk