GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad mpg and Weird car chronicles, Plz Help

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Does downshifting really have a big effect on mpg's?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
I could believe it if you really drive 90% city, especially with lots of traffic and short trips.

Agreed. When I had a MK6, I couldn't beat 20mpg in Philly. That was on stock tune. Outside of it, tho, I got 25-28 mpg around suburbs and 28+ on highways

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Where in New Jersey are you driving? You need to give us more information.

I'm in Passaic county, No real backroads, literally driving on roads with 25-35 mph speed limits most of the time. I do downshift a lot and I do like to hear my turbo spool :thumbsup:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm in Passaic county, No real backroads, literally driving on roads with 25-35 mph speed limits most of the time. I do downshift a lot and I do like to hear my turbo spool :thumbsup:

Well there is your mpg right there.

If you can hear it your burning it.

Noodle1

Ready to race!

Damn, so it's spool or gas, tough decision :) I'll try to hypermile this tank and see what my Mpgs look like

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Damn, so it's spool or gas, tough decision :) I'll try to hypermile this tank and see what my Mpgs look like

Yeah unfortunately lol.

Uberryan

Banned
Change oil, check tire pressure, change fuel filter.

Might also be time for a carbon gum clean out too.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie

Yes/No. Granted, he has a tune.

But I used to deliver pizzas in a town with 75% 25-35 mph roads, and I floored it every single time i had to accelerate. My boss commented how I'm his fastest driver.

Still, I never had less than 27mpg (MFD calculated, and as we all know MFD is about 1mpg optimistic) after a shift, often 29/30 around town. Maybe my car was a unicorn gas mileage wise, but my around town gas mileage was completely unaffected by my right foot.

My car was stock.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yes/No. Granted, he has a tune.

But I used to deliver pizzas in a town with 75% 25-35 mph roads, and I floored it every single time i had to accelerate. My boss commented how I'm his fastest driver.

Still, I never had less than 27mpg (MFD calculated, and as we all know MFD is about 1mpg optimistic) after a shift, often 29/30 around town. Maybe my car was a unicorn gas mileage wise, but my around town gas mileage was completely unaffected by my right foot.

My car was stock.

your cray. My stock gti in city driving with a spirited foot i would average like 21mpg

Phur

Autocross Champion
Another possibility... you were discussing your clutch. So it's 6mt. If you are staying in lower gears than you should be in, that would definitely cause it. I don't mean any disrespect. But if you were coming from something higher revving or simply not as experienced with a stick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noodle1

Ready to race!
I tried driving normally but I couldn't help it lol, I got 21.3 mpg according to the Mfd, 70% Driving like a human 20% driving like a maniac 10% in traffic/stop lights Speeds were from 25-40 mph

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Idk, anytime I drive spirited I feel like my mpg doesn't change. My route to work/home has some pretty good stretches where I don't have to stop at a light for a while though.

If you have to stop so frequently that you can't really sit in gear at low rpms for a few minutes your mpg will never go up.

If you have a really short drive then you're not driving far enough for the average to go up.

I regularly see 27-30 mpg and rarely see anything less. This is also with the AC off though. I swear the AC in these cars sucks balls and creates way too much drag. With AC on I won't hit higher than 24 mpg probably...26 if I'm really trying. I just keep it off year round, even in the middle of the summer when its close to 100 degrees.

Meanwhile with the AC off I drive however the hell I want and still get awesome mpg.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Wow, interesting.

I drive like a bat out of hell, of course in South Florida if you don't do that you get hit by something/someone. I'm DSG, not manual.

I drive from MIA airport and back to Homestead everyday....some slow traffic in the afternoon....but I'm getting a steady 29mpg overall. Last week....went down to the Keys, Islamorada, it crept up to 30, then back down again when I got home.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
So weird, I use good gas, tire pressure is good, carbon buildup is most likely minimal to none, I doubt the fuel filter is clogged, meh I guess I'm going to have to live with 20 mpg, could be worse