GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mann Oil Filter came apart...Did I overtighten it?

kram

Ready to race!
Hi there,

Did a quick oil change tonight & noticed something odd when I pulled off the oil filter:

I was like :eek: I didn't realize what happened at first & thought the new filter I bought was the wrong one... But they're the same model#. I didn't know that the threaded part of the oil filter could even come out.

Got some vice grips & very carefully unthreaded it right out.

Some questions...

Was this caused by me over-tightening it when I put it on? (I do not use a wrench when putting it on)

This is I think my 3rd Mann Filter & first time seeing this. Could the same happen with the OEM filter?

I'm a little nervous now, cause this did end up leaking a bunch of oil down my block when I took it off. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the product (though if it's just user error, I'll own that).

Any help is appreciated.

Thx,
Mark

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
Not user error. It happens... I am very careful not to over-tighten the filter (hand-tighten only) and it has happened to me.

No biggie.

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
Only hand tighten the filter. I learned this the hard way with my first car when my filter broke due to over tightening.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Only hand tighten the filter. I learned this the hard way with my first car when my filter broke due to over tightening.

This was his 1,000th post. It was a good one. Hand tighten FTW, though OP did that. Shit happens, You should be good.

kram

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, yeah I only hand tighten. BUT I do have gorilla arms & may have gotten a little over-zealous when I put it on.

Anyway, at least it's a word of caution for anyone changing their oil...don't over-tighten the filter.

goose1

Ready to race!
Happened to me on the last oil change, finally got around to just getting a set of pliers and twisting that bit out and putting the new filter in. Didn't happen with the last two Mann filters though...

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Had my oil filter come apart yesterday when taking it out (Mobil 1 filter, M1-404). In my case I was able to get the threaded part and plastic ring off the engine by putting the old filter back on, tightening it down fairly hard, and removing it again applying some force laterally at the same time.

Guessing it was a defective filter since I only hand-tighten and always put oil around the gasket. Also never had this happen before either on this car or any others I've owned. Strange.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Yep, it happens. My car has 120k and I change the oil every 4-5k, so I've done approximately 24 oil changes on it. This has happened I'd say twice. All OEM VW filters. Nothing to worry about, just remove it and carry on.

FWIW, the piece left in there can be removed by hand.