GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long did your factory battery last?

ben_m

Ready to race!
My OEM battery lasted a little over 4.5 years. In the cold the motor really struggled to crank over so I knew it was time. Def avoiding a stranding

VDubGTI12

Passed Driver's Ed
Lasted about 5 years. Never replaced since new (2012).
I replaced it with a OEM since the original lasted so long. And was the best deal to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
build date 7/12 car wouldn't crank on a cold morning earlier this week. jumped it and charged it up... working fine for now waiting for one of those seasonal dealership battery deals in the mail. dont want anything but oem unless i can be sold otherwise

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
2 years. A heatwave in August weakened it and it died in September 2015. That is a common issue with owning turbocharged cars and it getting close to 100 degrees for most of July and August. Same thing happened with my WRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
build date 7/12 car wouldn't crank on a cold morning earlier this week. jumped it and charged it up... working fine for now waiting for one of those seasonal dealership battery deals in the mail. dont want anything but oem unless i can be sold otherwise

If you can get a good deal on an oem go for it. FWIW I don't believe the oem batteries are any better than a good aftermarket one. The one I bought has more CCA (760) & a larger reserve capacity than the oem I replaced. My cost was $135 no way a dealer would sell me a battery for that.

From what I've read the oem has 570 CCA. Not sure about what VW uses for the replacement.

Last edited:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
2 years. A heatwave in August weakened it and it died in September 2015. That is a common issue with owning turbocharged cars and it getting close to 100 degrees for most of July and August. Same thing happened with my WRX.

What does being turbocharged have to do with a battery wearing out?

gdub09

Ready to race!
My MK5 went for almost 9 years somehow. Its downfall was a radio that kept draining it and it finally tapped out.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
What does being turbocharged have to do with a battery wearing out?

Excessive heat under the hood compared to naturally aspirated vehicles. Lead acid batteries and heat have always been an issue for me.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
At least VW saw fit to place the battery on the opposite side of the engine bay from the turbo. They also wrapped it in an insulation blanket. At least I think that's the purpose of that wrap.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
At least VW saw fit to place the battery on the opposite side of the engine bay from the turbo. They also wrapped it in an insulation blanket. At least I think that's the purpose of that wrap.

I'm still blown away by how long people are getting from the original batteries. VW did something right. I'm not sure if the blanket makes that big of a difference, but something is working. More than 3 years from an original battery is pretty unheard of in my experience.

I desperately want to get rid of the ugly, cheap battery box, but it seems to be serving a purpose, so maybe it'll have to stay.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I bought a second oem battery because i was so pleased with the firsts duration. Now I know YMMV, but if I get 3-4 years out of a 100 dollar purchase I'm happy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mario01

Mines a 2014 original battery

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
About 5 years. Bought car in June 2011, replaced OEM battery in July 2016. IIRC there are two OEM replacement batteries from VW. I bought the cheaper one. Ended up paying around $105 after getting the core refund. Was cheaper than the aftermarket batteries at Advanced Auto, Autozone, etc.