GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

LAGP

Ready to race!
I hear you, my suggestion for the LSD was mostly because it's a lot more cost effective for the average person to have us install to their car and get significantly more out of the power that they're making. The best possible setup IMHO is to have both a front LSD and AWD. I have a Peloquins high torque LSD installed on my CC and I love that thing. When coupled with the solid SuperPro 26mm rear sway bar I have on it now and the extra 5" of wheelbase that you get with the CC, you can really start to control the rotation of the rear of the car.

The only downside right now is that I can't do any burnouts unless its slick outside due to all the traction (I really need to get around to slapping a big turbo on it or going with my dumbass 2.5L swap idea). I also wish someone would finally step up and get a proper rear diff made for Gen 4 Haldex! I know I've seen the threads on getting them made, but so far no one has actually come through.
Mfactofy has an lsd for the haldex unit, here's the link: http://store.teammfactory.com/a3-tt-02m-quattro-6mt-helical-lsd-rear/

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Here is a sample from a log I did on my compound turbo setup to check for fueling issues, I think they look ok but could anyone with experience tell me their opinion. Boost was 25 psi on 92 octane fuel + water meth injection.

Fueling looks good from a quick glance. You're going to need to modify requested boost (not sure what tune you're using, if Eurodyne increase Target Filling) as you're maxing the MAP but the request isn't maxed.

The real question is what does timing look like? Actual advance and correction. And for the logs to be of much value you're going to need far more data points and a one gear log from 2k to the limiter.

LAGP

Ready to race!
Fueling looks good from a quick glance. You're going to need to modify requested boost (not sure what tune you're using, if Eurodyne increase Target Filling) as you're maxing the MAP but the request isn't maxed.

The real question is what does timing look like? Actual advance and correction. And for the logs to be of much value you're going to need far more data points and a one gear log from 2k to the limiter.
Thanks for the advice, right now I am running Giac K04 file and letting the ecu control everything like usual since 90% of the time it performs like K04, on top of that I am just adding fuel and limiting total boost with the big turbo wastegate. If this doesn't work I will have to go Eurodyne.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
They can and do make turbos specific for the TSI setup, they sent me pics of what it should have looked like, however in my case they messed up the order. So I am left with trying to sort it out with a mechanic who is not so familiar with this kind of custom work. I will send him a bunch of pics and hope that he figures out how simple it is. Otherwise it’s going to be a long wait to get a new cover made and sent. Either way according to their perspective with this mod, it can and will work. For me it’s just a pain to be located so far away from them and also for to be in a country where I don’t speak the language so well. However I think it’ll be ok.

Madhav,

Any updates on the new turbo?

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Madhav,

Any updates on the new turbo?

A few days back I sent the mechanic about 10 different pics of a K04 that had been modified to suit the TSI engine. He confirmed that it looks easy enough and yesterday updated me that the mod had been done and he just needs to reinstall the turbo and should be ready for pickup Sat afternoon (a few hours from now where I am). Of course I will check again today to see if it all went ok.

He will need to check it for leaks etc but he was concerned about the tune. I have the Cobb AP with the base tune ready to flash but is with me at home.

Question:

Is it safe for him to start it up WITHOUT the base tune installed to check for any issues? Or do people recommend waiting for me to go there and flash it BEFORE starting it up?

Reason being he may discover issues and then I’ll need to wait around till they are fixed and the journey is a 3hr boat and bus ride.

I’m assuming it’s fine as long as he doesn’t drive it on boost.

LAGP

Ready to race!
A few days back I sent the mechanic about 10 different pics of a K04 that had been modified to suit the TSI engine. He confirmed that it looks easy enough and yesterday updated me that the mod had been done and he just needs to reinstall the turbo and should be ready for pickup Sat afternoon (a few hours from now where I am). Of course I will check again today to see if it all went ok.

He will need to check it for leaks etc but he was concerned about the tune. I have the Cobb AP with the base tune ready to flash but is with me at home.

Question:

Is it safe for him to start it up WITHOUT the base tune installed to check for any issues? Or do people recommend waiting for me to go there and flash it BEFORE starting it up?

Reason being he may discover issues and then I’ll need to wait around till they are fixed and the journey is a 3hr boat and bus ride.

I’m assuming it’s fine as long as he doesn’t drive it on boost.
Yes you can drive it just don't go crazy

LAGP

Ready to race!

Here are logs for timing and fuel, I think timing is low (10°-12°) before I was getting 16° and maf readings are high I have -8 long term fuel trim. Coul it be related?

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Hey all... I recently bough a "gently used" GT3071 APR stage 3 kit to upgrade from my K04. As I type this, the turbo is otw to PagParts for full rebuild and 73mm compressor wheel upgrade. I'm stoked.. Sorry for the long intro, but my question is what size turbo blanket from ptp fits the GT30? I have tried researching w/ no luck. Hopefully one of you guys have an idea.

this one for "Subaru" GT30.. would this work??
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/atp

or they have their generic size turbo blankets (t3, t3/t4, etc)
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/universal-turbo-blankets

trying to find one soon so I can put it on my xmas list!! Thanks in advance

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Hey all... I recently bough a "gently used" GT3071 APR stage 3 kit to upgrade from my K04. As I type this, the turbo is otw to PagParts for full rebuild and 73mm compressor wheel upgrade. I'm stoked.. Sorry for the long intro, but my question is what size turbo blanket from ptp fits the GT30? I have tried researching w/ no luck. Hopefully one of you guys have an idea.

this one for "Subaru" GT30.. would this work??

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/atp

or they have their generic size turbo blankets (t3, t3/t4, etc)

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/universal-turbo-blankets

trying to find one soon so I can put it on my xmas list!! Thanks in advance

Let Arnold (PagParts) coat the manifold, housing, etc... for you instead of having turbo blanket; I would go this way if PagParts is closed to me

Chris659

Ready to race!
Let Arnold (PagParts) coat the manifold, housing, etc... for you instead of having turbo blanket; I would go this way if PagParts is closed to me

But why not both??

I would just contact PTP and see what one they recommend! They’re really nice helpful people!

Sauce118

Ready to race!
I am going to cerakote it myself. I have access to a "paint booth", but as far as the blanket goes, I don't know whether to order the one for the Subaru gt30 or the generic t3, t3/t4, or t25. I have read elsewhere that other platforms use the t3 blanket but I just want to make sure its the same for us. I did call them on Friday and left a message. I am hoping they will return my call tomorrow. If not I will hit them up again. Anyone else know for sure? Thanks for the help guys.

Sauce118

Ready to race!

PagParts doesn't do it themselves, they just send it out.. I didn't hear this from Arnold himself, but a reliable source who is a dealer for them. I don't think I'm willing to pay for the ceramic coating. I know if I do it myself with cerakote its not an official torch applied ceramic coating, but it will be much better than nothing. That coupled with the blanket should suffice for what I am trying to do. I still have to run a conservative tune, so the minimal performance gain from the turbo blanket and coated manifold is not really what I'm shooting for at this point, but since I have it off, I might as well do my thing to it!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I had Arnold's "vendor" do a cam cover for me 2 months later and it's been crickets...still waiting. Had I known it was going to be that much of a headache I would've told him forget it.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
How about just some 2000 degree paint? I know it might sound dumb, but I did my exhaust manifold and it's perfectly fine. Not burned or anything (k04)