GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How are you handling your music collection? 14,000 songs help!

VWTN

Ready to race!
How are you guys with large music collections organizing, picking, sorting etc. your music for use inside the car?

I had around 18,000 songs that I've whittled down to 13800 currently. I'm guessing I'll have it under 10,000 by the end of this weekend.

I've made playlists but they get out of control. I've got a handful of iDevices but the largest portable one is only 16gig. I'm currently using a 4gb nano I had laying around. I have a 8gb iPhone first gen floating around here as well but can't find it. I think my children snagged it. Then I have a 16gb iPhone4 and the same size ipad2.

Total size is around 78gigs currently. My goal is to have it organized and all on one device so I don't have to constantly take whatever device I end up using, in and out of the car all the time.

Carrying my MBP is not an option. I have airvideo and VNC that can stream all my music to my car but that's not an elegant solution.

How are you guys handling it? Am I dreaming thinking I can organize all of this music?

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
SD card and large GB capacity Ipod - keep them both in the vehicle. Done! :)

theunderlord

Ready to race!
Just pick the hits.. no time for deep album cuts in the car.

VWTN

Ready to race!
SD card and large GB capacity Ipod - keep them both in the vehicle. Done! :)

If I get it under 64gb I guess I could get a used touch and just put it on shuffle. I don't like sat or terrestrial radio. Pandora streaming is about as close as I come to radio.

What about playlists? How are you guys separating playlists? Rock, rap etc? Do you break it down further like alternative, metal etc?

VWTN

Ready to race!
Just pick the hits.. no time for deep album cuts in the car.

Every AC/DC, tenacious D, james taylor, frank sinatra, and MJ album to name a few! They're all hits!

DaWoLF

Ready to race!
I have a 320gb ipod with just a large eclectic collection of music from country to rap to r&b to metal to folk to just about anything sounding good or has a good vibe. I just put the ipod on random and let the car do the rest. I have had the ipod playing in the car since i bought it 2 months ago and havent heard the same song twice. I just let it pick what it wants and play. i guess its the best thing about the ipod.

D

Deleted member 103021

Buy an external hard drive, don't those work?

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
Buy an external hard drive, don't those work?

basically what i was going to say, but make it a solid state drive, so the bumps don't mess with you.

:thumbsup:

El TexMex

Ready to race!
You can also create parent folders such as A thru Z & place your sub-folders & files in the parent folders accordingly. In this manner you at least whittle the main directory down to 26 folders; well kinda as I forgot some bands begin with numbers, for that you could simply name a folder #.
Example:

Folder # would have > 3 Doors Down, 4 Wings
Folder A would have > AC/DC, Atreyu

So forth & so on...

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
i basically only use Sirius XM and Pandora in my car. problem solved. i also have a large collection of DJ mixes i've acquired from various DJ's promoting themselves so i have a glovebox full of demos that i listen to.

El TexMex

Ready to race!
basically what i was going to say, but make it a solid state drive, so the bumps don't mess with you.

:thumbsup:
Dependent on the gigs you want, a comparable high capacity flash drive might might save you some money (sometimes). Plus from a convenience standpoint they're a little easier to lug around & you don't have to worry about carrying around an additional cable as a flash drive directly connects into any standard usb port.
I use a 16gb flash drive myself.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
... ..I had around 18,000 songs that I've whittled down to 13800 currently. I'm guessing I'll have it under 10,000 by the end of this weekend.

Total size is around 78gigs currently. My goal is to have it organized and all on one device so I don't have to constantly take whatever device I end up using, in and out of the car all the time.

Dependent on the gigs you want, a comparable high capacity flash drive might might save you some money (sometimes). Plus from a convenience standpoint they're a little easier to lug around & you don't have to worry about carrying around an additional cable as a flash drive directly connects into any standard usb port.
I use a 16gb flash drive myself.

I'm assuming 10,000 songs is too much for a 16gb flash drive, and he says he doesn't want to have to carry it around with him all the time. That's the only reason i suggested something as 'overkill' as the solid state. He can get the cable and basically just stash the drive in the glove box or wherever.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I was planning on buying a 500gb portable and putting it in the center iPod holder under the armrest. My iPod touch 64gb has 3.6 gb left. I've already switched to manual music syncing from iTunes since my music collection on my iMac is closer to 90gb currently.