GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black roof wrap

drtyjrsy

Ready to race!
I did the vinyl roof a week or so ago and wanted to get some pictures up. I did the install myself so if anyone has questions on what to expect with getting it done let me know. i ended up taking off the fin antenna, was a pretty strait forward removal all things considered. The vinyl is the 3M Controltac Matte black. compared to other mattes i think its a little more satin and matches the rubber around the windows pretty spot on. :thumbup:

rigti9

Ready to race!
not a fan of the matte black. but nice job

I agree... matte is ok. gloss matches the paint and the b pillars more. but looks like your handywork is spot on. if you like how it looks, that what matters tho. nice work.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Looks like a flawless install! Well done.

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
Great work!!! Quality looks amazing. How did you do your rear emblem? I've seen that a few times and I REALLLLY want to do that. A DIY would be much obliged!!!

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
gotta agree with above, would have been better gloss, but awesome job on the install!

Nicoo..

Ready to race!
the lower part of the mirrors are wrapped or painted ?
the rubber around the windows is black right? mine are dark grey... as well as the plastic on the side skirts and pretty much everything is dark grey instead of black... i want them black too :( i've been told that the US spec gti comes with black trim whereas the Euro comes in grey plastic trim.. is that right? does anyone know anything about that?

drtyjrsy

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. matte has become a trend so for the shop i figured id give it a go. good thing about vinyls is that its always removable.

im looking at the BBS Ck in anthracite and when i go ahead with those im painting all the emblems to match i dont want it so black and white, throw in some mid tones. im sure theres a few write ups on removing the front and rear emblems. the rear snaps on the front is a bit more work to get off.

the lower mirrors are black from the factory and i tinted the mirror blinkers. same with the rubber around the windows, all black. really the only gloss black on the whole car is in between the front and rear windows and the tip of the antenna.

as far as a write up on the vinyl its definitely recommended to spend the money and get it done professionally but if anyone wants to know i can take some pictures on how to get the antenna off.

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
great job drtyjrsy!!! it looks awesome! scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest, how hard was this DYI. How much time did you put into it? we want details! lol
I would love it if you could get us a DYI on how to remove the antenna, then i'll consider doing it myself. I saw the post on the BMW 335, the guy did his entire car, first time and all and it came out sick! I dont mind wasting my day to do a DYI :D