GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: upgrade 2011+ manual HVAC to Climatic

misaka

Ready to race!
Ended up getting a panel and ordered the parts... if I have a Vag-com do I need to disconnect battery?

dudemanz

Ready to race!
How long does this DIY take?

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Ended up getting a panel and ordered the parts... if I have a Vag-com do I need to disconnect battery?

I didn't disconnect the battery and had fault codes for the HVAC which I reset with vcds and all was well. I guess it knows I disconnected the panel during the install.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
How long does this DIY take?

I would say about 45 mins to an hour. I can do it in about 20-30mins now since i've done it before.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I would say about 45 mins to an hour. I can do it in about 20-30mins now since i've done it before.

This. For me it took a lot longer to build/solder the wires than to actually route everything and plug stuff in. :)

MotMot

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,
I'm an owner of a 2011 UK bluemotion golf, with the manual climate as described above, and have sourced the components for this mod via eBay etc.. (though the control panel ive bought has different part numbers, it has the numbers - centigrade :) - instead of the red -blue).

But I was wondering if this would conflict with the auto-start stop function. While surfing about this I found something saying it would disable the start stop if there was a > 7 deg c difference between expected and actual temp.. Any ideas?

Also I have no access to vag-com, what's the worst prognosis if I try this? I I put the old unit back on again (if for some reason goes wrong) will it need some tinkering via vag com or will it go back to its old self?

Any thoughts welcome - and thanks for a superbly clear instruction set. Great set of posts and pics.

Tom

eduardot

Ready to race!
Hello,
I'm an owner of a 2011 UK bluemotion golf, with the manual climate as described above, and have sourced the components for this mod via eBay etc.. (though the control panel ive bought has different part numbers, it has the numbers - centigrade :) - instead of the red -blue).

But I was wondering if this would conflict with the auto-start stop function. While surfing about this I found something saying it would disable the start stop if there was a > 7 deg c difference between expected and actual temp.. Any ideas?

Also I have no access to vag-com, what's the worst prognosis if I try this? I I put the old unit back on again (if for some reason goes wrong) will it need some tinkering via vag com or will it go back to its old self?

Any thoughts welcome - and thanks for a superbly clear instruction set. Great set of posts and pics.

Tom

It's going to be hard to help you with the remote start question. It is not available in the US, even as an option.

I'm not really sure about your second question. I swapped the controls by following the instructions, and didn't use vagcom until a few days later (just because I wanted to see if it made any difference.) It worked exactly the same before and after the adaptation run through vagcom.

MotMot

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, sorry maybe some misunderstanding.
It's not remote start, but an auto stop - start option on the bluemotion models to save fuel. Basically if you have your foot off the clutch and the gears in neutral the engine will stop..
Tom

eduardot

Ready to race!
Hi, sorry maybe some misunderstanding.
It's not remote start, but an auto stop - start option on the bluemotion models to save fuel. Basically if you have your foot off the clutch and the gears in neutral the engine will stop..
Tom

My bad, I didn't read it properly. Still, the same answer applies. That is not an option in the US, it will be hard to find an answer in this forum.

shawn o

Hi, is anyone looking at this post anymore?

I did the upgrade to my 2011 JSW thanks to this DIY. Everything seemed to go great but I'm not sure its working properly. Have had it in my car for a few weeks now and haven't noticed it "adjusting" itself automatically.

Today I had it set close to the max temp (but below). Had the fan speed on "1" and the outside temp was close to 40F this AM on the way to work. I assumed it would automatically kick up the fan speed eventually but nothing happened and it stayed on "1" during all of my 40 minute commute. Maybe it because the interior of my car was fairly warm already since the car was in the garage all night?

Also, right after I did the install i used VCDS and could see the sensor temp readings. One thing I was concerned about is that there was a listing for "air vent temp sensor" or something along those lines in VCDS under the Auto HVAC section but I found it odd there was no listing for the sensor in the footwell vent. Is that normal?

shawn o

When I go into the "Auto HVAC" in VCDS, should I be seeing values for the upper vent sensor and the lower footwell sensor?

Last time I looked i only saw one of the sensors listed even thought they are both installed and wired correctly. I know whenever I unplug either one, it throws a code for that sensor.

eduardot

Ready to race!
The Climatic panel is semi automatic. It doesn't control the fan speed. It only controls the hot/cold air mix.

Not sure about your other questions. It's been a while since I checked the sensor readings with VCDS.

kaptaink

Ready to race!
I will be doing this mod shortly - found a part for $57 on egay
part number is 3C8 907 336AJ
build date is Aug 27 2010

by the way I tried searching egay with "vw climate control", "vw HVAC control" the part numbers and found this one using "vw temperature control"

using all the search strings but "vw temperature control" yielded results ranging in cost from 399 for new to 85 for very shitty used ones

the donor vehicle was a 2011 gti - wish I new the build date of the car to get an idea of when VW may have stopped selling gti's with the semi auto HVAC

thanks to the OP for a great post!!

kaptaink

Ready to race!
thanks for that post!! Doing this mod soon and it looks like my 2012(May build date) has the updated software
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 08: Auto HVAC (J301) Labels: 7N0-907-426.clb
Part No SW: 7N0 907 426 AN HW: 7N0 907 426 AN
Component: AC Manuell H19 0404
Revision: 00001018
Coding: 0000001002
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
ASAM Dataset: EV_ACManueBHBVW36X A01010
ROD: EV_ACManueBHBVW36X_VW36.rod
VCID: 8021D7E81B288F18A15

No fault code found.

My advice would be to take your car in for service before you do the upgrade. I just came back from my 10k service, they updated the sw on the manual hvac panel from 0304 to 0404. No other changes were reported by a VCDS Autoscan afterwards.

I will be doing the upgrade this afternoon or tomorrow morning :)