GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change - Castrol Edge with SPT 5-w40?

AGolfR

Getting ready to have my first oil change (5500 mi). Do you guys use Castrol Edge with SPT SAE 5W-40 for your R? I got 5 quarts and a Fram filter for a little over $30 at Autozone. Not sure about using this filter but it came in a package - is it any good or go with OE? Thanks.

PS. Coming from BMW camp where the dealer was the only source for rebranded 'BMW Castrol synthetic' so need advice here.

tamz273

Ready to race!
I jus take mine to the dealer.. Quick, clean, and pretty damn cheap when you think about it..

AGolfR

Is there anything else a dealer does at this mileage? I know its not a 'scheduled' service visit. I was planning to use the dealer too - my passenger side window regulator went crazy (won't close the window all the way). Otherwise I would just use my indie.

gyaeger

Passed Driver's Ed
I went to the dealer and told them to do the 10k service at 5k and I would just pay for it this time... $69 wasn't too bad. They use synthetic, rotate the tires, do some quick checks, fill the wiper fluid, give it a wash, I think it's a fair deal.

Plus it takes less than an hour and they have free coffee.

HSTuning

Ready to race!
If any of you decide to DIY it:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49544

This is the new oil VW is using, but we've also used Pentosin 5W40 and Motul 5W40 for the in-between changes for Golf R customers.

Oil:

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=114_115&products_id=3629&vpath=30_31

or:

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=114_115&products_id=64&vpath=30_31

Filter:

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3319

Also, it's a little bit more of a mess but we don't recommend using the factory tool to drain the oil filter housing as the internal o-ring can be torn by the tool over time and can cause complete oil pressure loss after start up. That requires a filter housing change if you catch the problem fast enough, engine replacement if you don't.

Last edited:

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I went to the dealer and told them to do the 10k service at 5k and I would just pay for it this time... $69 wasn't too bad. They use synthetic, rotate the tires, do some quick checks, fill the wiper fluid, give it a wash, I think it's a fair deal.

Plus it takes less than an hour and they have free coffee.

I always tell the dealer NOT to wash my car when they do the services. Dealers are notorious for leaving swirl marks in the clear coat from improper techniques. I saw a car getting dried at my dealer with rags covered in dirt. :thumbdown:

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Is there anything else a dealer does at this mileage? I know its not a 'scheduled' service visit. I was planning to use the dealer too - my passenger side window regulator went crazy (won't close the window all the way). Otherwise I would just use my indie.

Dealer will not do anything extra at this mileage if
It's not a scheduled change ... I just did my first one.... They can't legally give you a scheduled oil change earlier unless you have 5500 + miles on the car .... So
Asked them nicely an they might do it

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
i did mine myself. it would have been alot easier going to the dealer, due to the fact that i ran into a couple of issue like filter removal tool not fitting, not being able to put the car on ramps because of my height, and a few other issues that delayed me. you will save a bit of money by doing it yourself tho. you may need to buy the tools, but you will have them for future changes.

gyaeger

Passed Driver's Ed
I always tell the dealer NOT to wash my car when they do the services. Dealers are notorious for leaving swirl marks in the clear coat from improper techniques. I saw a car getting dried at my dealer with rags covered in dirt. :thumbdown:

Yeah, they gave me a voucher for the detailing place around the corner. He said they don't like to touch the R's, as the owners are usually quite a bit more particular haha. Even the detailing place doesn't do as good a job as I would myself, but it's better than nothing... especially in the winter hah.