GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

launch control?

cbope

How can I tell if my Golf has launch control? I've read a few posts and done a few searches and it seems that not all DSG equipped VW's have it enabled. I have not yet tried to use it. I have a 2009 Mk6 w/1.4 TSI 118kW and DSG 7-speed. I'm a bit unclear how to activate/use it, but it seems this is how it's done:

- turn off ESP (start engine while holding down ESP button on console)
- put DSG to manual or S mode
- apply foot brake and bring rpm's up to ~3k
- release brake and floor the gas pedal

As I understand it, the clutch should be disengaged until I release the brake. Is that correct?

The car was purchased in Finland, if that has an effect. I'm unlikely to get a chance to try it out anytime soon as our winter has started and I don't want to put my new Golf into a tree/building/pedestrian. Not to mention I'd hate to see the effect on studded winter tires. :laugh:

I love this car, coming from a 2005 Mk5 1.6 TSI 6-speed. It's an improvement in every way over the Mk5, although I kind of liked the instrument lighting in the Mk5 better.

cbope

Hi Cbope, unfortunitely I don't think its available on the 7 speed DSG box, all other previous models of DSG had launch, which is unfortunite. See attached link!

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=35947&goto=nextoldest

Australians have some very good info relating to the new 118KW DSG, you can check out my post regarding remap!
Mine is on order can't wait!:lol:

I read that post earlier. But I have a problem with the statement a poster made that said launch control isn't available on DSG-7 equipped Golf TSIs. At the time I purchased my Mk6, the only engine/tranny combo available with a DSG was the 118kW, with a DSG-7. No DSG-6 was available. Launch control is mentioned in my owners manual. Why would they put something in the manual which is not a valid combination for this vehicle? Plus the manual makes no mention that it's a DSG-6-only feature. I'll check the owner's manual again and see if the DSG-6 is even mentioned in the technical specs, I don't believe it is. As far as I know, all 2009 1.4 TSI engines with a DSG gearbox are available only with the DSG-7. The DSG-6 is only used on larger engines like 2.0 GTI. However, I could be wrong... ;)

cbope

Well, I gave it a try tonight when I got home. Switched off ESP, stepped on the brakes, put the DSG to S and tapped the throttle a few times. Either I have not activated launch control correctly or my Mk6 just doesn't have it. The clutch was engaged and the engine would not rev above idle rpm. You could feel the engine struggle against the clutch, there is no way it would rev to 3k rpm like this without damage to something.

Anyone have any ideas? Have I done it correctly?

gartsi

The reason the 1.4TSI 118KW was equipped with the 7 speed DSG was to keep emissions in line with the manual box, 149g/km.
I don't believe you are doing anything wrong, my friend has a MK5R32 and the steps you have outlined are correct, the fact is the 7 speed doesn't have it equiped!
If you are still in doubt check out u tube, there is plenty of clips demonstrating launch!