GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

fuel filter line clips broken

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
I've had to fix this on 4 cars in in the past 2 years or so. It's always people trying to DIY without the first clue about how to work on cars, they fuck it up, tow it in, and pay out of pocket to have the gas tank dropped and the fuel lines replaced. You're in for a pretty hefty bill.

I'm sorry but you have to start somewhere. Making mistakes and "fucking it up" are the way new DIYer's learn to do it. Without someone messing up no one would know what to do the next time someone else messes it up.

Personally I applaud new DIYer's who would rather learn to work on their cars then have someone else do it. Not sure why you are so aggressive about it but seems a bit unnecessary.

On another note I'm really glad OP got it fixed and glad it wasn't too much trouble. :thumbup:

-DT

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I know this is probably horrible advice, so take it with a grain of salt and do at your own risk - but the same thing happened to me when I did my filter.

The retaining clip wasn't broken, it was just all jammed up with dirt and other particulate. I cleaned the area around the clip out as best I could with a pick, and also gently squeezed it from all sides with pliers to loosen it all up. After a bit of playing around, it snapped back on securely, and has been fine for the past year.

I was at my wits end and convinced I'd have to replace the entire line by the time I resorted to squeezing it with pliers -- but at that point, I figured the worst I could do was break it, and I figured it was already broken as it was - so wth.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Wow, nicely done. I too might have tried a tape/string sort of technique, hah! Thanks for defining each step. That's what makes this forum great. :)

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
The retaining clip wasn't broken, it was just all jammed up with dirt and other particulate. I cleaned the area around the clip out as best I could with a pick, and also gently squeezed it from all sides with pliers to loosen it all up. After a bit of playing around, it snapped back on securely, and has been fine for the past year.

That's really good to know (especially for anyone else who encounters this issue in the future). Looking at the old line I replaced it does look fine, so i'll try and clean it sometime this week.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
When I changed mine last time, it was gunked up and I had to clean the clip good before it would click in securely. WD40 to the rescue...

artemk93

Ready to race!
Bumping an old thread.
Here's a video of how to easily replace a line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYS07GXMecQ&index=3&list=LLyIr2_hAYw5Aw8a41ByvL2Q

You can also zip tie things together while you are waiting for the new line.

KFahey

Ready to race!
Important Tip

Hey guys, just for anyone that thinks they have this issue......I replaced my fuel filter and thought one of the clips on my lines was broken. It looked like it fell right off like one of the pictures in this thread.

Turned out it was just tucked underneath the connector......it just moved its way up...Had to be pulled out with a pic.

Make sure that's not the case before you replace the lines for no reason!