GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I was rear ended today...

devondunphy

Passed Driver's Ed
I was on lunch at work waiting at a parking lot exit to turn into traffic fully stopped when suddenly the GTI lurched forward, I thought I had slipped off the break petal but it turns out some chick :tweetz: that worked at the place bumped into me from behind somehow with her old japanese what ever it was. :thumbdown: The impact pushed me what seemed like a good foot or so forward but props to the GTI bumper! Not even so much as a scratch! There was a small scuff from her paint near the bend at the license plate but it rubbed right off with my finger. After a few minutes of looking all around I could not find any more marks, crumples, skuffs in the clear coat, cracks or anything. So I decided to be the nice guy and just told her she could just go on her way. :w00t: I know it was kind of a low speed impact but with the force she hit me I was expecting the bumper to be split or cracked. Very pleased with its resistance, saved me a huge headache. :thumbup:

bmanMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like you still might want to get it looked at

I don't know much about this, but have heard that internal collision handling material (such as Styrofoam or plastic) can get damaged with no visible external damage.
In this case, it would mean a future bump might not work out as well.

Just an uninformed thought!

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Sucks to hear you got hit, but also good to know you don't have to go without your GTI while it is getting fixed.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I would've given her her shit just to scare her into being more careful next time lol

P

plac

that will only happen with the flexability of oem paint. once you repaint.. forget about that.

john@FTC5

Go Kart Champion
Just so U know in some case even the bumper might not show crack or damage.Your absorber can get damage sometime but is not too expensive to replace if it need.

mortis

Ready to race!
Damage... out of sight... out of mind.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
shizer!!yeah i always have to look in my rear view mirror every time i slam on the brakes to catch a red light to see if the car behind me can stop in time. i had one close call a while ago.

take it easy dude.:)

pbm317

Passed Driver's Ed
You definitely should still get the car inspected for the padding behind the plastic covering. That's where the true "bumper" is. Once it collapses from the absorbed energy of impact, it is no longer as effective.

And plac, I've never had any issues with repainted bumpers. They have great flex additives that are added at the body shop to achieve the same paint flex as original.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
I was on lunch at work waiting at a parking lot exit to turn into traffic fully stopped when suddenly the GTI lurched forward, I thought I had slipped off the break petal but it turns out some chick :tweetz: that worked at the place bumped into me from behind somehow with her old japanese what ever it was. :thumbdown: The impact pushed me what seemed like a good foot or so forward but props to the GTI bumper! Not even so much as a scratch! There was a small scuff from her paint near the bend at the license plate but it rubbed right off with my finger. After a few minutes of looking all around I could not find any more marks, crumples, skuffs in the clear coat, cracks or anything. So I decided to be the nice guy and just told her she could just go on her way. :w00t: I know it was kind of a low speed impact but with the force she hit me I was expecting the bumper to be split or cracked. Very pleased with its resistance, saved me a huge headache. :thumbup:

I'm surprised your airbag didnt pop and scare the taint out of you. You should have got her number, and milk that for all its worth... :iono: