GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 2 (2.0) misfire with R8pack and new plugs

Lupin

Ready to race!
Recently got the new APR stage 2 2.0 file and a month later the car started misfiring. didn't experience any actual misfire, just the codes, all 4 cylinders.
I have R8 coil packs installed for 15k and new plugs just 5k ago.
PFR7S8EG Double Platinum (1675) (gapped at 0.032” from the factory).
Prior to APR software update, I never had any misfire issues before. I changed the R8 as a preventative measure. I've read most of the threads about misfire and they are mostly due to coil packs and plugs. At this point I am kinda stumped since I have new coils and plugs and still have misfire codes.

mark986

Ready to race!
Try your stock coil packs and see what happens.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
I can answer this one! This EXACT same thing happened to me. Never any misfires at all before update. I didn't get any misfire codes, but I noticed some here or there through logging and reached out to APR right away. I was told to do new plugs gapped at .028". Which is down from stock by .04".

The new file's added power pushed that stock gap too far, need smaller. After I swapped, the misfires are gone.

Another consideration that should be taken into account is the extent of any modifications that you may have made to the engine. As an example, when you raise compression or add forced induction (a turbo system, nitrous or supercharger kit) you must reduce the gap (about .004" for every 50 hp you add).
'
That is taken from NGK's website here.
https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about...et-the-gap-when-installing-a-new-set-of-plugs

I 99% guarantee you it is this.

Last edited:

Lupin

Ready to race!
I can answer this one! This EXACT same thing happened to me. Never any misfires at all before update. I didn't get any misfire codes, but I noticed some here or there through logging and reached out to APR right away. I was told to do new plugs gapped at .028". Which is down from stock by .04".

The new file's added power pushed that stock gap too far, need smaller. After I swapped, the misfires are gone.

'
That is taken from NGK's website here.
https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about...et-the-gap-when-installing-a-new-set-of-plugs

I 99% guarantee you it is this.

I read that in the release thread too. Thanks for that, will try that tomorrow.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Any update on the results after new plugs with the smaller gap? I'm getting tons of misfires at idle (along with the weird idle exhaust burble noises) and some during driving.