GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Simoniz Glasscoat

awkwardbeta

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone have any experience with Simoniz Glasscoat? Supposedly infuses your paint with a ceramic glass resin that protects your paint and keeps it shiny. My sales guy asked me to watch a presentational video of this and asked if I will want it on my incoming new GTI.

He didn't tell me, and I didn't ask, but I'm curious as to how much it is to do the whole process also.

This is the video that the dealership showed me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5RdyehGmEI

And this is apparently a PFT (product fail test) that Simoniz did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQ5unUxjuY

Any input on experience and cost is much appreciated.

Last edited:

iamhoward

Ready to race!
Has anyone have any experience with Simoniz Glasscoat? Supposedly infuses your paint with a ceramic glass resin that protects your paint and keeps it shiny. My sales guy asked me to watch a presentational video of this and asked if I will want it on my incoming new GTI.

He didn't tell me, and I didn't ask, but I'm curious as to how much it is to do the whole process also.

This is the video that the dealership showed me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5RdyehGmEI

And this is apparently a PFT (product fail test) that Simoniz did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQ5unUxjuY

Any input on experience and cost is much appreciated.

how much are they charging you? seems sort of like the zylon stuff they try to sell for a ridiculous amount of money. If it's over $100 i would just forget about it and buy a good sealant

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
how much are they charging you? seems sort of like the zylon stuff they try to sell for a ridiculous amount of money. If it's over $100 i would just forget about it and buy a good sealant

This. The video does look promising though, but I can guarantee there are cheaper options that you can apply yourself (Optimum Opti-Coat, for example). Also the dealer might end up sealing in the dealer-installed swirls and scratches with this stuff. :eek:

RuckU2

Ready to race!
I install simoniz on motorcycles. It works. No worries about bugs staining the paint and the customer never has to wax their bike again. Its guaranteed for the life of the bike against fading. I have seen it in action and it works. And for a motorcycle my rate starts at $495, for a Goldwing about $795. So on a car I would expect probably $1200-1500, maybe more. Your not just paying for the product but the warranty as well. Plus this product is put on by hand.

awkwardbeta

Passed Driver's Ed

I haven't gotten it on my car yet because it hasn't arrived at the dealership. Just wondering what other dealerships are charging and, most importantly, if it works.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into it for sure.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Honestly I'm skeptical. The USA has a serious acid deposition problem. The northeast is the worst due to the prevailing SW wind belt. The best measure for protection is constant washing and waxing. The only thing that will really work is if you wrap the vulnerable surfaces in the clear 3M film.
I wash my car at least weekly. In between washes I use a quality quick detailer with super deep pile microfiber towels. At least each month or sometimes more it's waxed. The kicker is my car came with some acid etching from the dealer. I picked it up in April 2011 it came into the USA from Germany in December 2010 and sat exposed for months, in that time soe damage occurred.
I corrected the etch marks 99% with 3M finesse it II. Anyways I am ranting. Take my advice, save the cash and invest in maintenance chemicals and quality wash tools. Yes you are paying for a warranty, but when it's time to make a claim will they agree with your claims of damage? How long is the car gone for? Can you choose the refinishing shop? ....

awkwardbeta

Passed Driver's Ed
Good points. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my car clean, so weekly washing and detailing is usually not a problem - I don't plan to treat this as a once-a-year-apply-and-forget type of deal. I figure the extra protection would help in keeping my car shiny. If the cost is worth the investment, I may consider it.

awkwardbeta

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick update. I talked to my sales guy and got more detail on the Glasscoat. For interior and exterior protection, $595.00.

Holy shit. But he also told me that it's warrantied for 5 years. If anything stains outside or inside (bird poop, acid rain, spills, etc. etc.), the dealership will fix it for free.

Personally I think if it offers full protection from stains and blemishes and whatnot for 5 years, it's a pretty good deal. I'm gonna go for it.

valeoray

Ready to race!
This. The video does look promising though, but I can guarantee there are cheaper options that you can apply yourself (Optimum Opti-Coat, for example). Also the dealer might end up sealing in the dealer-installed swirls and scratches with this stuff. :eek:

Agreed. I use Liquid Glass myself.

mk6fan

Ready to race!
If anything stains outside or inside (bird poop, acid rain, spills, etc. etc.), the dealership will fix it for free.

Get it in writing and read the fine print. Otherwise spend the money on a nice detailing kit and some paint sealant.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/6+inch+orbital+bag+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks

iamhoward

Ready to race!
Even if it was in writing I would personally stay away for a few reasons.
1) For that much you could get a ton of quality things to protect your paint and for the regular washing and things like that
2) The dealer is terrible at washing so every time you took it in for them to "fix it" you would probably have a ton of swirls
3) It's just hard to believe they would even do that to be honest I feel like they would find a way out of it

But that's just my opinion