Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 20,000 - 40,000 miles

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • More than 40,000 miles

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
Will the low torque tune like APR now offers help clutch life, or is it still more than the clutch is able to effectively handle over long periods of time?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Mine has been tuned since 2013 without issues.

That being said, I had a squeak in my clutch and the dealership under warranty replaced the whole assembly right before my car got tuned so I essentially had a brand new clutch before the tune. That would be about..... 30k - 40k miles or so. I do a fair bit of highway though but do drive it fairly hard.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I was stage 1 since 9k and then went to Stg2 around 33k. If it wasn't for my blown turbo, my clutch is still perfectly fine and I'm taking it with me to K04, rofl. I'm sure that will be the end of it though.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Bought my gti with 116000 miles on it and got stagev1 immediately. Have put 6k on it no slips and i drive the piss out of it daily.

JoeCap

Ready to race!
I had the Stage 2 tune and had the clutch replaced at 98k because I was going to the high torque file that was released in March last year. The clutch was still fine, but I was going to hit Wookies in the Woods and didn't need to burn my clutch up 700 miles from home.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Here is my situation:

-New clutch assembly under CPO warranty.

-Modded car

-Statified Protune after 1000 mile clutch break-in

-Drive it like I stole it

-Clutch seems fine so far. *knocks on wood*

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
Mine happened instantly, I had 21k on the car I believe.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
128k. Stage 2 Cobb ots tune. Tuned it at 100k. No slippage.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You got a beast. I want to have my car tuned, but I'm afraid my 120k mile original clutch is going to explode. I was going to wait until I had enough cash on the side to replace the clutch, but maybe I should just get a low torque tune. I've refreshed the brakes and suspension, so for the first time in a long time the car feels underpowered.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Hi everyone.

After 8,000 miles with the GTI, I am thinking about getting a stage 1 tune next time some kind of sale event pops up. The only concern is that for us manual owners, the cost of the tune doesn't seem to stop at the initial cost to flash the ECU. I would like to see how the stock clutch fares with a stage 1 tune.

I've created the poll in just miles after tune. This seems to be the only thing that we can measure empirically. I've read around and some people say that driving habits, miles on the car when it was flashed, etc. all impact whether/when the clutch slips, but those are hard to measure. I am hoping that the small variations in those aspects will average out as our sample size grows larger.

I am hoping that clutch slip with stage 1 is a case of "vocal minority" where people without clutch slip just carry on while people with clutch slip bitch and moan about it (and rightfully so...the stock clutch on the 6MT is woefully weak) to strangers halfway across the world.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can get a better sense of what I am in for if I am to go down the treacherous world of power mods.

Thanks!

Went Stg1 APR at 8k miles. No slippage. Went Stg2. at 32k miles. Currently at 38k miles no slippage. My stock turbo went before the clutch, rofl. About to go K04. I am however finally putting in a South Bend Stg3 Drop in Disc, lol.

There is a guy on the forum who was on stock clutch with K04 though. Not sure how long that lasted. The myth of Stg1 or 2 killing your clutch comes down to previous owner wear (if bought used), or how you drive your car and overall, driver mod :thumbsup:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Its not a myth. Its a when. Every engagement it wears some. Everytime you apply more than the rated torque, it wears some. Eventually its going to slip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ahard48

Ready to race!
Im APR stage 1 and just put a downpipe on and not stage 2 yet and the clutch is holding. I just dont launch it or drop gears on the highway racing people. It iwll probably go at some point though. But for daily driving right now its fine.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Went Stg1 APR at 8k miles. No slippage. Went Stg2. at 32k miles. Currently at 38k miles no slippage. My stock turbo went before the clutch, rofl. About to go K04. I am however finally putting in a South Bend Stg3 Drop in Disc, lol.

There is a guy on the forum who was on stock clutch with K04 though. Not sure how long that lasted. The myth of Stg1 or 2 killing your clutch comes down to previous owner wear (if bought used), or how you drive your car and overall, driver mod :thumbsup:

^ I agree. Driver error. I wonder how many of them who are slipping stage 1 owned a manual transmission car before their GTI. Like you said, you never know how the previous owner drove it if you bought used, but I would bet a lot of them are new to manual trans.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
It is just physics. Nothing to do with the driver. Car torque > clutch torque, clutch will slip. If you push 22psi everyday especially. If you go easy, then sure. Half throttle torque < wot torque.
It is just something you should prepare for if you tune. That's all there is too it. You could have 100k on stock clutch if you just cruise in 6th all the time. Its not miles, its engagements

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk