GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HUGE MISTAKE

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
I got more for my car from Carmax than anywhere else. It had enough issues (both motor mounts leaking, rear dif had a slow leak, some other minor parts that needed replacing [it adds up in an Audi...]) that I wouldn't have made more in a private sale.

Every VW dealer I went to offered well below the carmax offer. Even the one I bought my MkVI from, I told them "I don't care if you buy it or not - if you can beat this offer, it's all yours, if you can't, I'm keeping it", and they wouldn't match or beat it.

The way I look at it, Carmax is a decent starting point for your trade in value, just like zag.com is a decent starting point for pricing. It doesn't mean you have to sell to carmax or buy from a zag.com dealer, but it's a great way to get an idea of what ballpark you should be in (and might turn out to be your best offer)

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
seems like jmblur had the same experience as i did carmax ftw :)

I'm sure they didn't notice the leaking engine mounts or dif - hell, they didn't even notice that the wheels needed to be refinished (some curb rash and one wheel that had paint bubbling, I'm pretty sure they had a mediocre repaint at some point before I got the car), something that the dealers probably did - but hey, when it comes to selling it to pros, it's buyer beware. If it was private sale, I obviously would have disclosed all the issues.