GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did a muffler delete

speedjunky01

Passed Driver's Ed
I know there is no real power to be had or that much noise to be gained but I did it for fun and it was an easy project.

I saw the borla and awe options but 300 plus for this is a joke. I picked up a mild steel 2 1/8th inch mandrel bent 180 degree u bend, a vibrant tip, and a lap joint exhaust clamp for 60 bucks from summit racing. To mount it up I went to the hardware store and bough 1/2 inch steel rod and got to work with my Flux core welder.

I think the tips look awesome, it sounds a little more turbo spool like, and it now sets of TCS if I punch it in 1st it never did before.

I plan on doing dpf delete and tune once the dpf goes out.

Figured I would share my results since this is asked a few times imo I would never buy the retail version of this.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Good write up. I like people who don't buy kits and do it themselves. I might take a look at the other tips Vibrant offers when I do my entire system over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer

I too deleted my muffler on my 2012. I agree the turbo spool bounce back off of buildings and dividers is a bit more pronounced. No power change. But, one thing was interesting to me. When I went through VW TDI training(CR) I was told that if ANY noticable amount of black soot is present at the tailpipe, the DPFs performance may be in question and need replaced. However, after I removed my gas tank size muffler from my car, I now have a pretty decent amount of soot at my tailpipe, almost like the muffler was acting as a soot catch. Zero smoke still. Looking at my soot loads and regen cycles everything seems to be A ok. I just found it strange that I had no post muffler soot, until I removed it.

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
I too deleted my muffler on my 2012. I agree the turbo spool bounce back off of buildings and dividers is a bit more pronounced. No power change. But, one thing was interesting to me. When I went through VW TDI training(CR) I was told that if ANY noticable amount of black soot is present at the tailpipe, the DPFs performance may be in question and need replaced. However, after I removed my gas tank size muffler from my car, I now have a pretty decent amount of soot at my tailpipe, almost like the muffler was acting as a soot catch. Zero smoke still. Looking at my soot loads and regen cycles everything seems to be A ok. I just found it strange that I had no post muffler soot, until I removed it.

With a properly working DPF in place, there should be absolutely NO soot in your tailpipes. Unfortunately, if you are seeing some soot, your DPF is on it's way out. The DPF's on these cars have a 100% failure rate, it's not if they will need to be replaced, it's when. Dirty little secret that they don't tell you when you buy one...

loki0303

how much louder is this delete? im looking to do the same thing or peice together a system but looking for a deeper sound

PouncingPanzer

I understand it's a matter of when, every componant on a car technically is a matter of when, given the mileage. I did dozens on Mk6 Jettas at what I would consider "Premature mileage", but never any on a Golf. Also, all the ones I replaced had horrible lives and never got driven like a CR needs to be on a regular basis, or was a result of a Passat TDI turbo failure, unlike mine which should be in DPF heaven. But, if it is going, as long as it makes it until my next emissions check or it better fail in the next 15k, after that good riddance to it because it's going bye bye.

THEREUB96

With a properly working DPF in place, there should be absolutely NO soot in your tailpipes. Unfortunately, if you are seeing some soot, your DPF is on it's way out. The DPF's on these cars have a 100% failure rate, it's not if they will need to be replaced, it's when. Dirty little secret that they don't tell you when you buy one...
I have 229k miles on my original DPF, clutch, & brakes. Most of my driving is highway @ 60+mph though. I've seen folks in more urban areas have to get their DPF changed @ 80k. I reckon DPF longevity is related to driving scenarios...

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 229k miles on my original DPF, clutch, & brakes. Most of my driving is highway @ 60+mph though. I've seen folks in more urban areas have to get their DPF changed @ 80k. I reckon DPF longevity is related to driving scenarios...

It absolutely is related to driving scenarios!

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed

That's why most people remove the dpf after it's failure because it's too expensive. in my country cars should have it but it's not really checked, they are about to change the law about that unfortunately

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
What engine do you have and isn't it too loud without a muffler? I have seen some videos of cat back straight piped 1.6 tdi's and it doesn't seem to be that loud but you can't really tell from video. I don't want to have people hear my car coming from a kilometer away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fastball

Ready to race!
...if ANY noticable amount of black soot is present at the tailpipe, the DPFs performance may be in question and need replaced. ..

I bought my '11 used in April 2012 with 3,900 miles on the odo and there has been black soot at the tips since day one. The soot has always been there and it never goes away. I know we're talking diesel here but still. :iono:

Last edited: