GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Purchased a 2012 VW GOLF R!

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
this guy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

LOL! Okay so what happens if this goes bad?

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
Can ruin your cam and send lots of little bits of metal into places you don't want it to be. But it really I've pulled a few out at 75000 and they look great. I really think it has to do with oil/ how often you change it. But they're are many who will change the cam follower after every 2nd oil change. Which isn't a bad thing either. Ecs tuning has a sell usually for $30 for the kit. And they have a step by step on how to replace it

rickman535

Passed Driver's Ed
LOL! Okay so what happens if this goes bad?

its possible to have catastrophic failures if it goes bad which is why some people err on the cautious side.. if one of these did go bad and break apart you could have those metal bits ruigning the inside of your engine very quickly causing you to have to rebuild huge sections of your engine for thousands of dollars.. so for 30 bucks every 15-20k miles its not a bad investment ;)

plus if you're like a lot of us, its fun to tinker on your engine a bit, its one of those easy DIY's that bring lots of us pleasure.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Okay cool! Since I purchased mine used with $70,000 miles on it I'm not sure if this has ever been done? Luckily the VW Dealership here in Ann Arbor said that the previous owner maintained the vehicle really well and no issues were ever reported. But I will definitely look into purchasing a CAM Follower kit. ASAP! Geeze I had no idea this was even a thing. I've owned 2 Golfs (MK6 & MK7) and never heard about this so I'm guessing this is just specific to the R? I'm not very good with working on the cars so I may have a mechanic show me how to do it the first time. Unless it's super simple then I might think about attempting myself. LOL!

rickman535

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not hard at all, i think there are some really good diy's on this on the vwvortex forums. it takes a bit of time and care but i would say on difficulty scale maybe 3.5/10. I think if it has 70k miles on it it's probably been done at least once, but it would definitely be good to check =]

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not hard at all, i think there are some really good diy's on this on the vwvortex forums. it takes a bit of time and care but i would say on difficulty scale maybe 3.5/10. I think if it has 70k miles on it it's probably been done at least once, but it would definitely be good to check =]
Agreed

Ronnie1

Ready to race!

Thank you so much for the information! This seems really important so I'll be looking into this when I get a second. Do you think the dealership would know about this? Or is this something that R owners have discovered on their own and have started doing themselves? I couldn't find it in the Service Schedule of the USA Warranty & Maintenance Book so I'm guessing VW doesn't have this as a recommended service. Which is pretty crappy cuz that would suck if you screwed up your engine over this little part.

skl007

Passed Driver's Ed
Cam followers are something that is not normally covered in an inspection and are nto considered to be a wear item. I just purchased an R as well with 62k on the clock and had to add the cam follower inspection. Mine was worn but not terrible. Getting it replaced ASAP.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Cam followers are something that is not normally covered in an inspection and are nto considered to be a wear item. I just purchased an R as well with 62k on the clock and had to add the cam follower inspection. Mine was worn but not terrible. Getting it replaced ASAP.

Good to know and Congrats on your new R also! I am loving mine so far! A lot of speed and a lot of fun. One thing I need to get used too though is that rough suspension. Man I feel every little bump. LOL! My MK7 Golf TDI is like a Cadillac ride compared to the R's rough / sporty suspension. I'm sure the struts will have to be replaced soon as they've got 70,000 miles on them. How long does the stock suspension last for? I've got new rims and tires coming in a few days so I'm pretty excited about that. When I took it for the inspection on Friday the VW Dealership noticed that I have 2 bent rims. I'm hoping that the other dealership I bought it from will help with the cost. I'm not holding my breath though.

skl007

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to know and Congrats on your new R also! I am loving mine so far! A lot of speed and a lot of fun. One thing I need to get used too though is that rough suspension. Man I feel every little bump. LOL! My MK7 Golf TDI is like a Cadillac ride compared to the R's rough / sporty suspension. I'm sure the struts will have to be replaced soon as they've got 70,000 miles on them. How long does the stock suspension last for? I've got new rims and tires coming in a few days so I'm pretty excited about that. When I took it for the inspection on Friday the VW Dealership noticed that I have 2 bent rims. I'm hoping that the other dealership I bought it from will help with the cost. I'm not holding my breath though.

Haha I haven't seen my car in two weeks! I test drove it first and then did all the inspection stuff afterwards. Car is at the shop now getting haldex service BG coolant flush, fuel filter, and an oil change.

As for the ride the R might be the softest ride of the stable, and 100% has the most body roll!

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Haha I haven't seen my car in two weeks! I test drove it first and then did all the inspection stuff afterwards. Car is at the shop now getting haldex service BG coolant flush, fuel filter, and an oil change.

As for the ride the R might be the softest ride of the stable, and 100% has the most body roll!

Hmm? Wonder why my suspension feels so rough and noisy? Don't get me wrong it still handles and turns corners like I've never seen before! LOL! Maybe with my new rims and new continentals the ride will feel a bit smoother. Right now I've got 2 jacked up rims and 2 tires that have pretty bad cupping so maybe that's where the majority of the rough ride is coming from. The tires are some cheap summer tires that are Dunlop Direnzo's DZ102. How often do you need to get the Haldex AWD serviced?

skl007

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm? Wonder why my suspension feels so rough and noisy? Don't get me wrong it still handles and turns corners like I've never seen before! LOL! Maybe with my new rims and new continentals the ride will feel a bit smoother. Right now I've got 2 jacked up rims and 2 tires that have pretty bad cupping so maybe that's where the majority of the rough ride is coming from. The tires are some cheap summer tires that are Dunlop Direnzo's DZ102. How often do you need to get the Haldex AWD serviced?

That's most likely the cause, especially if your wheels are out of balance as well. Haldex is every 60k if I remember correctly from my research.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
That's most likely the cause, especially if your wheels are out of balance as well. Haldex is every 60k if I remember correctly from my research.

Yeah they balanced them the best they could with the rims being bent but there's only so much they could do. Oh well later this week I'll be riding on all new ones so it's all good. Okay I'll look into getting my Haldex serviced at my 80,000 mile service schedule. Thanks for the info!