GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track Tire Help

Gino

Ready to race!
Looking for some help picking a track tire. Trying to wrap my Neuspeed RSe05 17x8 +45. The 3 tires I have been looking at are: Bridgestone RE-71R, Hankook RS4, and Toyo R888R. Anyone have anything to say for any of these tires? A recommendation? My car is lowered and has no rubbing issues with 18x8 +45 wheels and 225/40/18 PSS tires. Have been recommended a 235/45/17 tire. The track event I am looking at is not till late October, so I have some time :)

red_stapler

Ready to race!
RE71s are a sprint tire, so they'll be really fast, and then get greasy and eventually chunk.
RS4s love heat and you can hammer on them for a full session.
R888Rs will be faster and handle heat better than the RE71s, but they'll wear down quickly.

So, RS4s if you're on a budget. R888Rs if you want to "win".

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
RE71R is a very fast tire, but like others have mentioned, wear VERY fast.

No experience with R888R.

No experience with RS4s, but the tests show that they can keep up with RE71R. RS3s, however, seem to last a very very very long time in my experience, so if they're as fast (or close to) as the Bridgestones then it's probably a safe bet.

Gino

Ready to race!
Appreciate the responses guys. Definitely not opposed to sticking to the "budget" route, which still ends up likely being $700+ for installed tires. The RS4 seem very appealing since they will last. I've tracked on all season tires before getting wheels for track so I am sure RS4 or any one of these options would be better suited than Michelin AS3s lol. Where do you guys find the best deals for your tires?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Appreciate the responses guys. Definitely not opposed to sticking to the "budget" route, which still ends up likely being $700+ for installed tires. The RS4 seem very appealing since they will last. I've tracked on all season tires before getting wheels for track so I am sure RS4 or any one of these options would be better suited than Michelin AS3s lol. Where do you guys find the best deals for your tires?

tirerack.com has never let me down.

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
I'll definitely have to take the look at the RS4! My pilot super sports are nice but get a little too greasy after consistent lapping.. I usually have to have a cool down lap or two before I go for another hot lap for time.

I don't know if VW dudes run federals but I've been interested in the RSRR as well.

Gino

Ready to race!
You wouldn't recommend PSS for track then would you haha. I just looked at Costco and they have a deal on Michelin tires. As of right now PSS would be the cheapest option for the next few days, but I am still calling local shops to bug about RS4.

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
I daily my car so the super sports are the perfect balance for commuting/spirited driving and the occasional track day.

Overall the super sports are great on the track as long as you can gauge how hot they get. They'll definitely start feeling greasy and less grippy if you keep pushing 10/10 lap after lap.

I still got my PSS on my neuspeed rse12s just for the track. Lately been commuting on my detroits with ebay tires :D Nanking NS-20 noble sport. They get the job done surprisingly well when I do pulls.. 2nd gear grip no problem (no LSD). How would they hold up on track in the heat? Not sure if I want to find out :D

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I love the RS3's, wish they still made them. I will likely run rs4's next year, So far I have 8 track days on the rs'3 and they are holding up sooo nice it's making it hard to consider anything else.

Cannot agree more on the RS3's. Surprised me how much faster they were than my old BFG Rival's (~1 s) and they seem to be wearing really well. The only downside is the sidewall is soft, so you have to run a bit more pressure on camber-challenged cars.

Like you I'd pick up a set of RS4's next, but a buddy and I have a bet on laptimes. He's going RE71R's, so I'll probably have to match.