GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock vs. Newer BMW 335i

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
I ran a jet, that was carrying a Veyron. After making it look slow, I shat out a JB9 (that's right, 9, bitches!) tuned 335.

;)

McQueen77

Banned
Wow, 4 pages of this thread? Wow. On what planet does a stock GTI 'walk' a 335i? It wasn't like an official race dude, he was just toying with you on the freeway.. Please.

335 are weak

Yeah especially to someone who is probably 17, has problems with grammar and can't fathom the money it costs to actually purchase and own a 335i. Why do so many ingenious posts come out of New Jersey?

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Wow, 4 pages of this thread? Wow. On what planet does a stock GTI 'walk' a 335i? It wasn't like an official race dude, he was just toying with you on the freeway.. Please.

Yeah especially to someone who is probably 17, has problems with grammar and can't fathom the money it costs to actually purchase and own a 335i. Why do so many ingenious posts come out of New Jersey?

Back in LA I see. Facts from THIS SITE:

# 14. New Jersey is a leading industrial state and is the largest chemical producing state in the nation.
#30. New Jersey has 108 toxic waste dumps. Which is the most in any one state in the nation.

which leads to #6. North Jersey is the car theft capital of the world, with more cars stolen in Newark then any other city. Even the 2 largest cities, NYC and LA put together.

So, now you know.

DBGTI11

Ready to race!
^^lol

recognized1

Go Kart Champion

# 14. New Jersey is a leading industrial state and is the largest chemical producing state in the nation.
#30. New Jersey has 108 toxic waste dumps. Which is the most in any one state in the nation.

which leads to #6. North Jersey is the car theft capital of the world, with more cars stolen in Newark then any other city. Even the 2 largest cities, NYC and LA put together.

So, now you know.

This is awesome.

McQueen77

Banned

So, now you know.

Yeah, for a few days. We're headlining the Filter magazine Culture Collide fest in Echo park yesterday and today. Then back out for 2.5 more weeks round the country.

Those statistics are amazing. Our tour manager is from Jersey, great guy, and he says he loves shows like Jersey shore because, as he says, it represents a tiny % of the actual NJ population, but it keeps everyone from coming there which is "fine with me" he says.

Great statistics!

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Great statistics!

Did you know 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot 51% of the time? :D Have a great trip around the country, what a sweet job you have! :thumbsup:

Edit: Avoid the garden state. those gardens were planted on top of toxic waste dumps as part of a Federal Consent Decree.

Last edited:

EvoX1

Ready to race!
"In a straight line at 85 miles an hour it will easily overtake the Ascari when it's doing 70!" - Jeremy clarkson

/thread

SteveMD

Ready to race!

Hotrod on www.n54tech.com has two 08s. Here is his current sig:

08 335i Sedan 11.26 at 127.79
08 335i Coupe JB3 2.0 11.33 @ 132.77
60-130mph: 6.95 seconds

I was under the impression that one of those was done without meth. I'm researching that now.

(edit) His 'Tune Only' run is 11.783@119.551 Completely stock car, 100 octane gas. JB3.

fender177

Ready to race!
Let me just reiterate...I am certain that a BMW 335i is faster than a stock GTI MKVI. Whew! Hopefully Chip will be a little less embarrassed now.

Just for giggles I did some checking on the wheel hp of both cars stock. It seems like the BMW makes around 265hp to the wheels and the GTI makes around 200hp also to the wheels. Is this correct? Both of these figures were based on dyno sheets found around the net. This give the BMW a 32% hp advantage over the GTI.

Stock curb weight is around 3600lbs for the BMW and 3200lbs for the GTI. That makes the BMW 12.5% heavier. Advantage is definitely still with the BMW. Would you need to go Stage 2 to be competitive or would Stage 1 be sufficient?

wrong. I'm looking to get a 335xi for my next car. Without the performance package, the 335 has 300 hp, add the performance package and it goes up to 320hp. Like everyone else has said - either the guy was just messing with you or he was learning to drive stick.

SteveMD

Ready to race!
wrong. I'm looking to get a 335xi for my next car. Without the performance package, the 335 has 300 hp, add the performance package and it goes up to 320hp. Like everyone else has said - either the guy was just messing with you or he was learning to drive stick.

Fender, you need to understand the difference between advertised 'gross' horsepower which is measured at the crank and 'wheel HP' which is always less because of drivetrain losses. The previous poster is correct. The 335 has between 260-280 wheel HP depending on the dyno that it is measured on.

When you see a dyno chart, multiply the wheel HP by 115-118% to give you the HP at the crank. When you see advertised HP in a magazine or website, the wheel HP is going to be somewhere between 80 and 90%.

Last edited:

fender177

Ready to race!
When you see a dyno chart, multiply the wheel HP by 115-118% to give you the HP at the crank. When you see advertised HP in a magazine or website, the wheel HP is going to be somewhere between 80 and 90%.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info