GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Jetta GLI vs 2012 Golf GTI

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Especially with the 2013 upgrades including Xenons w/ LED DRL, Rearview Camera, AND the new Climatronic system from the Passat/CC (separate digital readout). For just a few hundred bucks more than the 2012 model year.

I think the GLI offers a great value as compared to the GTI. And for what most of even us, let alone average consumers, use these cars for, the GLI would be the better buy.

I probably would've gotten one if it were out when I got my GTI...

Better buy if you want a bunch of extra stuff. If you're like me and go for the base model while caring more about performance then the GTI is a better buy - almost exactly the same price for better performance and actually made in Germany.

zarco

Exactly ^

Not Mexico.... Germany... Good enough.

An no I didn't get ripped like one of you guys said, I paid no where near the sticker price, and its still more German then a jetta.

I win.

well...

...Mexican chics have nicer asses.

16plus4v

Ready to race!
The '13 GLI will have a much better outfit. With the adj. armrest, full power seating, LED/ xenon headlights.. Those were the most common complaints I had from a couple friends who bought 2012's.. This is why I'll NEVER buy anything from VW the first two years that it becomes available. It seems that the cars always get better after a couple years of release.

Example: MK6 GTI gets released. I buy one in 2010, then the 2012 comes out with all of these new options.. I'd be like " F*&# ". Nothing a couple stops to ECS can't handle but still.. It sucks when you buy something and it get's better features the year after.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Example: MK6 GTI gets released. I buy one in 2010, then the 2012 comes out with all of these new options..

I'd rather have gotten a 2010 when you could buy only the options that you wanted and not have to pay hundreds or thousands extra for other options to get to the appropriate "package" or "trim level" for that one option you actually want.

C4L

Banned
Better buy if you want a bunch of extra stuff. If you're like me and go for the base model while caring more about performance then the GTI is a better buy - almost exactly the same price for better performance and actually made in Germany.

Well...

4-Door GTI Base - $24,595
Jetta GLI Base - $23,945

Now, the accountable differences in equipment at those prices;

GTI
+ 18" wheels
+ Heated Seats

GLI
+ Premium VIII Touchscreen Audio
+ Steering Wheel Mounted Audio/MFD Controls

AND that $650 price advantage for the GLI is almost exactly the cost of an APR tune...;)

I DO appreciate that my car was made in Germany as well but that is not a deal breaker as it carries no actual value. Just intrinsic.

C4L

Banned
Example: MK6 GTI gets released. I buy one in 2010, then the 2012 comes out with all of these new options.. I'd be like " F*&# ". Nothing a couple stops to ECS can't handle but still.. It sucks when you buy something and it get's better features the year after.

I bought my 2010 GTI and wouldn't want a 2012 at all. When I bought mine, nearly all options were stand alone and not part of pre-configured packages. I got mine exactly how I wanted with nothing more/less than I wanted and for nothing more/less then I wanted to spend.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Well...

4-Door GTI Base - $24,595
Jetta GLI Base - $23,945

Now, the accountable differences in equipment at those prices;

GTI
+ 18" wheels
+ Heated Seats

GLI
+ Premium VIII Touchscreen Audio
+ Steering Wheel Mounted Audio/MFD Controls

AND that $650 price advantage for the GLI is almost exactly the cost of an APR tune...;)

I DO appreciate that my car was made in Germany as well but that is not a deal breaker as it carries no actual value. Just intrinsic.

Don't forget that the GTI has a stiffer suspension and bigger tires - it's just way more performance-oriented, especially with the tighter gearing. They really are not the same car with 2 different body styles which is what I originally thought before reading through this thread. GLI is comfy with an element of sport, GTI is sporty with an element of comfort. I prefer the latter (as do probably most of us on this forum).

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
The '13 GLI will have a much better outfit. With the adj. armrest, full power seating, LED/ xenon headlights.. Those were the most common complaints I had from a couple friends who bought 2012's.. This is why I'll NEVER buy anything from VW the first two years that it becomes available. It seems that the cars always get better after a couple years of release.

Well, if you keep comparing year after year. You are going to kill yourself since better things will come out every year to entice other buyers to purchase a new car. Just be happy with your GTI.

C4L

Banned
Don't forget that the GTI has a stiffer suspension and bigger tires - it's just way more performance-oriented, especially with the tighter gearing. They really are not the same car with 2 different body styles which is what I originally thought before reading through this thread. GLI is comfy with an element of sport, GTI is sporty with an element of comfort. I prefer the latter (as do probably most of us on this forum).

'WAY' more performance oriented is a bit of a stretch...

From Motor Trend;

"But for the Volkswagen purists, the Jetta GLI Autobahn is the car to have, offering more room and comfort from a car that's still fun to drive. It's also for the harder-edged enthusiast who wants a car to turn into a street cruiser or weekend track car. To me, Volkswagen has created the perfect car in the Jetta GLI Autobahn, appealing to the broadest range of current and future clientele."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._jetta_gli_autobahn_first_test/#ixzz23XDikps0

And for the ACTUAL performance figures from Car and Driver;

GLI (A/S Tires - MANUAL)
- 0-60 in 6.2 and 15.0 @ 96 mph 1/4 mile
- 70-0 in 179 ft.
- 0.86g

GTI - 3-Door (A/S Tires - DSG)
- 0-60 in 6.1 and 14.7 @ 96 mph 1/4 mile
- 70-0 in 175 ft
- 0.88 g

They REALLY are not far off. JUST Stage 1 on the GLI (with the $650 in savings) and it will outperform GTI times in acceleration. It already handles as well (if not better).

I cannot comment on the subjective FEEL of each as I have not driven a new GLI yet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-volkswagen-jetta-gli-long-term-road-test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2010-volkswagen-gti-3-door-dsg-short-take-road-test

Last edited:

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
They REALLY are not far off. JUST Stage 1 on the GLI (with the $650 in savings) and it will outperform GTI times in acceleration. It already handles as well (if not better).

They are on different planets as far as handling goes. The GLI posted the second slowest lap time ever recorded at the most recent C&D lightning lap. Yes, the GTI is way more performance oriented.

VIR Lightning lap times

3:29.3- Mazda MX-5 Miata 2006
3:27.3- VW Jetta GLI 2012
3.26.6- Volvo C30 Version 2.0 2008
3:26.5- Honda Civic Si 2006
3:25.1- VW Golf GTI 2006
3:24.8- Honda Civic Si Mugen 2008
3:24.1- Honda Civic Si 2012
3:22.9- Mini Cooper S 2007
3:21.8- VW Golf R32 2008
3:20.9- Ford Mustang GT 2006
3:20.8- Dodge Caliber SRT-4 2008
3:20.6- Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2006
3:19.3- VW Golf GTI 2010
3:19.0- Subaru Impreza WRX STi Hatchback 2008
3:19.0- Mazda RX-8 2006
3:14.0- VW Golf R 2012

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I wonder why the STI is that slow on the list.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The newer sti's got better bushings and suspension, so they are a lot quicker on a track than the 08-09

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a bit shocking that an AWD 300hp/300tq car is roughly as fast as a FWD 200hp/200tq gti.

C4L

Banned
They are on different planets as far as handling goes. The GLI posted the second slowest lap time ever recorded at the most recent C&D lightning lap. Yes, the GTI is way more performance oriented.

VIR Lightning lap times

3:29.3- Mazda MX-5 Miata 2006
3:27.3- VW Jetta GLI 2012
3.26.6- Volvo C30 Version 2.0 2008
3:26.5- Honda Civic Si 2006
3:25.1- VW Golf GTI 2006
3:24.8- Honda Civic Si Mugen 2008
3:24.1- Honda Civic Si 2012
3:22.9- Mini Cooper S 2007
3:21.8- VW Golf R32 2008
3:20.9- Ford Mustang GT 2006
3:20.8- Dodge Caliber SRT-4 2008
3:20.6- Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2006
3:19.3- VW Golf GTI 2010
3:19.0- Subaru Impreza WRX STi Hatchback 2008
3:19.0- Mazda RX-8 2006
3:14.0- VW Golf R 2012

Those tests vary drastically based on track day conditions. They are also done by different drivers too. If you are comfortable thinking that a GTI runs 0.3 seconds behind an STI, then you would probably be comfortable thinking that a GLI runs 8 seconds behind a GTI.

And in reality, that 8 second difference is only 4%. 5%-7% is considered significant by most sources for a variance in performance.

IN THAT RUN, the GTI performed MUCH better. In general, on any other day, the GTI performs a BIT better.

Last edited: