GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking Headliner

O-III

Ready to race!
Now that the cold weather has set in, my headliner creaks going over even the smallest bump. I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from, but it could be either the sunroof sunshade or above the sunglasses holder (hard to determine while driving!).

Anyone else experiencing this and what would be the best way to cure it? I'm wary of taking it to the dealer because they typically claim they can't duplicate the problem.

Thanks!

uncdubber02

My headliner buzzes when some songs are playing. I think mine is coming from the sunglass holder/map light controls. I can push up on the controls a bit and the buzzing stops. Weird ... think I will have the dealer check it out at the 10K service since I can duplicate it for them ... hopefully. :)

upgrad3

Ready to race!
I had the same problem ( even though I got my car like 2 weeks ago )....it sounded like it was the headliner, but it was really the trunk.....if I opened and closed the trunk the rattle stopped...don't ask me why, but that's what fixed it....if I continue to hear it I will be going in for service

mrghost

Passed Driver's Ed
I have this issue. The creaking is coming from the area of the map light and sunglass holder for sure. I tried stuffing some paper in the gap up there, it didn't help. I've noticed that with the sunshade closed the creaking is sometimes reduced. I'm thinking that it's just hanging loose up there, and with the shade closed it gets a little extra support. Definitely adding this to my dealer check the eff out list. It can be incredibly annoying.

O-III

Ready to race!
Thanks mrghost, that matches my experience exactly. If I push and hold the area around the sunglass holder up the creaking seems to go away. There seems to be a huge gap up there. Guess I'll need to go to the dealer someday (pain!).

FinalOne

Ready to race!
'98 Cameros do not have this creaking stuff...! plus they're faster! :p