GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'11 Jetta vs '10 GTI

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
My dad's looking to get me a Jetta, and I'm looking to get a steal off of a 2010 GTI since I found a dealer that still has 2 of them left. And if I heard right, the Jetta's interior quality is balls compared to a GTI. I'm looking to get more bang for the buck and I don't know what my dad's doing. Base 2010 GTI 4dr with manual I'd assume would go for like $20k. Someone help me out with that estimate. And personally, I prefer a hatch over a sedan or anything with a "trunk". It makes parking easier, if everyone gets what I mean. Because in a sedan I never see where my trunk ends so I end up being more pussy about it. In a hatch, wherever the door is, basically it's where the car ends. And I think that for a college student, a hatch would definitely be more desirable just for storage purposes. Maybe a GLI I would go for just for the engine. The only problem I got with the GTI is that it's in black and I'm going to Florida for college. And everyone tells me that the car will burn up and stuff. To me, I think that if I get those windscreen shields and tints, it'll be a lot better. Anyone wanna help me out?

McQueen77

Banned
well, first of all you should be doing some research on the internet as to prices and comparisons but right off the bat, no a base GTI is not 20k. Its more like $24k + add ons or packages + taxes and fees etc. so it will more likely approach $30k. A Jetta is much cheaper and not in the same class, really on any level compared to the GTI. Historically one the least reliable cars in history for starters and really nothing about it is at the level of the GTI - performance, interior, build, etc.. Not to mention the Jetta being kind of a chick car. At the end of the day though, if the old man is buying it for you, shit, drive whatever, its free!

Last edited:

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
well, first of all you should be doing some research on the internet as to prices and comparisons but right off the bat, no a base GTI is not 20k. Its more like $24k + add ons or packages + taxes and fees etc. so it will more likely approach $30k. A Jetta is much cheaper and not in the same class, really on any level compared to the GTI. Historically one the least reliable cars in history for starters and really nothing about it is at the level of the GTI - performance, interior, build, etc.. Not to mention the Jetta being kind of a chick car. At the end of the day though, if the old man is buying it for you, shit, drive whatever, its free!

The GTI price, I'm going from Zag which lists a base '11 GTI at around $21.5k or something. So a '10 I assume would go for a hell of a lot cheaper than that.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Okay so how do you own two cars in your sig? You can't include your parents cars dude they are not yours. Now if the Corolla is yours, keep it, and use that. No need to get a new car especially at your age.

McQueen77

Banned
The GTI price, I'm going from Zag which lists a base '11 GTI at around $21.5k or something. So a '10 I assume would go for a hell of a lot cheaper than that.

Its not 21.5k or something. A certified pre-owned 2010 GTI goes for around $23k with some basic options like sunroof and detroits, give or take. Edmunds, KBB, Autotrader, consumer reports, etc. are all good sources. Edmunds TMV (true market value) gives a good idea of what the cars are actually selling for based on data compiled from multiple sources. If you think you can get a new GTI for 21k, you are dreaming. New '11 base is about 24k.
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2011/

Last edited:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
You will not get one that low. The dealer cost for that car is Invoice. This isn't a Sentra or Corolla. Plus, you have been on here saying you would be getting one for like 6 months. And you still haven't got one. Sounds like a PIPE Dream for you.

Base
2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo
FWD

6-speed Manual
$22,747 Invoice
$23,695 MSRP

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Either way, they aren't yours.

dustinwark

Miesian
projectors/HIDs > reflectors/halogen
IRS > Torsion beam
rear disc brakes > rear drum brakes
GTI interior > Jetta interior

I think the choice should be clear

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
Okay so how do you own two cars in your sig? You can't include your parents cars dude they are not yours. Now if the Corolla is yours, keep it, and use that. No need to get a new car especially at your age.

Oh boy, watch out.

sirdudeth

Ready to race!
If you get a Jetta, don't get the S with the ancient 2.slow. The 2.5 is sluggish enough...

tzd

Ready to race!
Please don't get the 2011 Jetta. The only trim of that car that is decent is the just announced and still unavailable GLI.

If you can somehow find a 2010 GTI for that low price by all means go for it. But if not, you'll be much better off with a new Golf 2.5L than a new Jetta.

FNR32

Ready to race!
You'll regret getting the Jetta. If there is any way that you could possibly get a GTi, even a base model, I would go that route. You may be able to find a few GTi' in your price range but be prepared to take a base model car with some miles on it and be ready to travel for it.