GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's not just VW's I work on... kitchen remodel

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Before -

These are a couple years old from when I first moved in, the yellow has been gone for a long time.

Notice how the bottom corners are just dead space, there is nothing there.

Another corner with dead space, you can't use the one drawer because it hits the range, the range doesn't get clean, no over range microwave, and no counter or cabinet between the range and the fridge, just garbage cans filling the space.

Concept-

We had Home Depot come out and measure and take pics and do the new kitchen design. They charge $99 and you get it back if you buy the cabinets through them.

During-

Taking delivery of the cabinets.

Emptying the kitchen.

Old range hood was hard wired in.

Because the range hood is being replaced with a microwave this has to be turn into an electrical box to put in an outlet.

Box is done.

Demo continues.

still destroying things but started patching after striping the painted over wallpaper.

no turning back now.

This brings us to the fun part.... over new years I brought one of the cabinets with me to my buddies house in Wisconsin over new years.... We used it as a target for a while then put some Tannerite in it and I blew it up with an AR.

Dishwasher guts.

that stupid light coming out of the wall had to go (earlier pic).

light, wiring, conduit, all taken out.

had to make the hole bigger to get all the in-the-wall guts out then started fixing the whole with a drywall patch.

the patch skim coated.

the patch spackled and sanded with wet primer.

finished patch.

completely gutted kitchen patched and primed. To fix the massive floor squeaks the subfloor was resecured with Spax screws - big mean nasty looking screws with the first 4-5 threads covered in serrated teeth, once they go in they don't ever loosen without power tools.

laying out and fitting the hardy backer board.

hardy backer board all secured ready for tile.

Had to really cram things in to have room to work.

Had to really cram things in to have room to work.

My buddy Jay came by to give me a hand laying tile but we started with getting some pre tile drinking in home improvement goes better with the influence of Vodka.

Jay and I setting up the rooms center line and how we are gonna lay the tile out.

plugging away at the tile, half done.

tile is laid.

The tile is done and laid, but since we have dark tile and dark grout we have to be extra picky about mortar in the grout lines, we should have used dark mortar but we originally were gonna use a light cream colored generic looking tile. We used a handheld grout saws to to clean the mortar away. This is before....

This is after.

Tile laid, lines are cleaned, getting ready to grout.

grout laid, time to clean before it all sets.

grout laid, after 3 rounds of sponge cleaning.

grout laid, after 6 rounds of sponge cleaning.

grout done, not to shabby with the exception of the horrible picture quality.

Out with the old.

Wiring in ground fault outlets.

More wiring.

Making sure the outlets are level so the cover plates sit level.

new cabinet mock up, putting things where they go getting ready for install.

Cabinets going in.

Cabinets done.

Cabinets done.

Cabinets done.

Cabinets done.

Cabinets done.

Cabinets done.

Finished floor.

Almost there, to do list - sink with related plumbing, counter tops, stove/oven/range, over range microwave, and a few other odds and ends.

No more microwave on the counter! It was definitely worth adding that electrical box pictured earlier.

nice new stainless steel self cleaning convection oven.

big upgrade.

I like stainless.

Got the new sink, the drain, and the faucet assembled so it's ready to drop right in and get hooked up once the counters are in. My wife wanted to see it set into place to see what it would look like.... don't mind the red dots, they are markers for where you can make holes for different faucet setups.

Counter top is half finished and the sink is in but not hooked up yet.

So here's the problem with the plumbing, the sink base cabinet was moved over so the lazy susans could go in the bottom corners, now the pipes don't line up even using a sink with an offset drain.

This is how Home Depot suggested I fix my plumbing issue, install this directly to the sink drain so the corrugated flexible piping will allow the J trap to be moved over..... um NO!

Instead this is how I fixed it, the right way.

Running hot and cold water, a working leak free drain, and installed the soap dispenser there in the left corner.

Finished -

Garbage and Recycle bins in the cabinet

Lazy Susans in the bottom corners

this cabinet and the sink base cabinet the center divider is fake and attached to the left door so the whole area can open up

This is the one and only seam on the counter top, it's hidden pretty well since the beveled edge and back splash don't have the seam and it's not diagonal into the corner

ReznorsApostle

Ready to race!
Wow man pretty impressive. I just bought my first house and planning to do a similar remodel. What was the bill on the new cabinets?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
great job and write-up, dude. Our cabinets and granite don't look too different from eachother. Looks like you definitely spent a good amount of cash based on the new appliances too. Its worth it in the end tho, esp if you are going to be there long term.

As for cabinets, I'm really lucky ours are ok , cos somehow/for some reason the pricing on those fuckers is just out of this world.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
They had a bunch of black friday promotions/deals when we ordered them so it was maybe $2500ish for the all the cabinets (they came with hinges, soft closers on everything, and handles)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
They had a bunch of black friday promotions/deals when we ordered them so it was maybe $2500ish for the all the cabinets (they came with hinges, soft closers on everything, and handles)

not bad then, cos ive heard people spending like $5-$10K just on cabinets, which blows my fucking mind. We've been really happy with HOBO for our granite (super cheap, free install, and they through in a free under the counter mounted sink), and other items for bathrooms, etc. Gotta love all the competition in our area for home remodeling - keeps prices down.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Great stuff! I love remodeling on the side.

I did top to bottom remodels on my last 3 condos and my neighbors place last year. I love getting my hands dirty and making an ugly place look great.

Rewarding feeling to do it yourself, right?

FiGGy77

Ready to race!
bad ass dude.
that sink you got looks hot!

how long did it take you to do the whole thing?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the comments.

We started the design process with Home Depot a couple weeks before thanksgiving. We ordered the cabinets right after thanksgiving. It took a couple weeks to get the cabinets build and delivered. They showed up a few days before Christmas and that when I started demo. It took about 9 weeks from when I started demo till today when I finished the minor details but thats because working full time I get home around 7:30 at night so I'd work an hour or two a night and then spend the weekends working on it, but we also went out of town for new years and we just spent 7 days on vacation in Whistler.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Nice job! I have done a few kitchen remodels myself (last one was a J shaped kitchen). Alot of work but feels good when you are done and you know the job has been done right.

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
Very nice. I like the sink.

It's nice to see you took the time to use spacers. Some tile setters skip that to save time, but it never comes out just right unless you use spacers.

Is the counter granite or Corian? I can't tell...