GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

promotion at work, time to get a GTI!

red_dragon

Ready to race!
So I was lucky enough to get a 10% raise at work, now i think i finally feel comfortable buying a new (maybe not brand spanking new) but new 2012 GTI!

I figure I can sell my BMW for 8k
Put down 5k cash
And then finance the rest...10-15k?
$23-28k total?

I just can't think of a reason not to buy the GTI! It seems like such a great car! Extra HP would be nice, something like the R, but it seems way overpriced! Coming from a 3 series BMW, will a new GTI put a smile on my face?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on your promotion (I was actually promoted today myself :) )

There are many 3 series owners who are now in GTIs. Go drive one and decide if its right for you as well. Stage 1 ECU flash is available for more get up and go.

IMO, I'd put less cash down and take advantage of the super low (or 0%) APR currently being offered. Keep your cash for other things.

Good luck!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Depends on the year and generation and type of 3 series.
Will you enjoy it if coming from :

318 Yes for sure that's a pathetic excuse of BMW
323 Most likely, much better seats in the VW and its slightly faster
325 Likely, about the same speed as GTi but without the sport package it rides soft and has crappy interior/steering wheel
330 Unlikely unless you have a lot of issues, and need to do a lot of maintenance.
M3 Get your head examined :laugh:

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
So I was lucky enough to get a 10% raise at work, now i think i finally feel comfortable buying a new (maybe not brand spanking new) but new 2012 GTI!

I figure I can sell my BMW for 8k
Put down 5k cash
And then finance the rest...10-15k?
$23-28k total?

I just can't think of a reason not to buy the GTI! It seems like such a great car! Extra HP would be nice, something like the R, but it seems way overpriced! Coming from a 3 series BMW, will a new GTI put a smile on my face?

If you're looking to save a little money, look for a CPO gti. Let someone else take the initial depreciation hit, unless you are SET on buying new.

Test drive, maybe meet up with local gti owners and get a taste of upgraded power, buy CPO/new gti, smile, mod gti, smile even more :)

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I got my GTI that was a year old. I saved about 3,000 buying used, and I don't regret anything. The previous owner took great care of it, so it's like new.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Check the classified section here. A few guys have some pretty clean cars for sale. The problem with buying used is the finance rates usually aren't that great. I'm not sure what VWs current financing is on the GTI though.

You will like the GTI, it is a fun car to drive and feels a lot quicker than it actually is (stock) If you get the itch for more speed for a couple hundred bucks you can go Stage 1 ECU tune which gives it quite a bump in power. If you want even more power you can go Stage II (downpipe + tune) or even K04 (bigger turbo), or Stage 3+ (Even bigger turbo)

Go out and test drive one, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The problem with buying used is the finance rates usually aren't that great. I'm not sure what VWs current financing is on the GTI though.

Agreed.

VWoA currently offers 0% for 60 months on a brand new 2012 GTI. You may save a few k by purchasing a CPO. I know of no used car loans offering 0% so interest eats up the cost difference between new and used.

Not sure what the finance rates are in Canada.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
speaking of meeting local owners, why don't you join us every wed night at REI in fairfax once you get your GTI? :)

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
The GTI is very fun to drive. For me its even fun stock until I start feeling the need for more power. Either way you will have a blast.

I would also suggest CPO. I bought new only because I really had my heart set on a black 2 door manual which I couldn't find in my area at the time, other wise I would have bought used and use that extra money for some mods. However, if you do choose new, you will still have an excellent car. :)

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
GTIs are great cars, but be aware that mk7s may be out in a year or so. Also the Focus ST is probably worth a test drive.

red_dragon

Ready to race!
At my credit union, I can get financing for a new car (includes models 2011 with 7,499 miles or less) for 1.79% for 60months. Good deal, or finance through VW?

red_dragon

Ready to race!
03' 325i, bare bones

Depends on the year and generation and type of 3 series.
Will you enjoy it if coming from :

318 Yes for sure that's a pathetic excuse of BMW
323 Most likely, much better seats in the VW and its slightly faster
325 Likely, about the same speed as GTi but without the sport package it rides soft and has crappy interior/steering wheel
330 Unlikely unless you have a lot of issues, and need to do a lot of maintenance.
M3 Get your head examined :laugh: