GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The dangers of increasing GTI turbo-boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfitalianguy

Passed Driver's Ed
if you are going to drive your car hard every day every time you get into it it will break...but i have seen mk 5 gti's that have replaced there timing belt twice and has about 189000km on the clock with stage 2+ and they are fine with no engine failure, and who drives an car that long enyway...

....I did. I sold my 2000 BMW 323Ci, 10.5 years old, when I bought my 2010 GTI in May. The beemer had 155,000 miles on it, or roughly 250k km. Not saying I intend to keep the GTI 10 years nor put 150k miles on it, but 90k miles? most likely. And I'd expect it to get there with regular maintenance and without major issues, even though I'm not going to have stage 2+ on it, and perhaps not even stage 1.

wildcars

Ready to race!
Reading all 7 pages, and what's the conclusion?

Can the new TSI engine handle 210kw?

cnimativ

Ready to race!
if you are going to drive your car hard every day every time you get into it it will break...but i have seen mk 5 gti's that have replaced there timing belt twice and has about 189000km on the clock with stage 2+ and they are fine with no engine failure, and who drives an car that long enyway...

It's my daily. Money is better spent somewhere else instead of leasing a car you can't drive home with all cash only.

leslie

Ready to race!
Reading all 7 pages, and what's the conclusion?

Can the new TSI engine handle 210kw?

WELL I HOPE SO ...IM ON 195 KW THATS OK BUT I HOPE IT CAN HANDLE MY 437NM...ONLY TIME WIL TELL.

cnimativ

Ready to race!
You know, somewhere, the vw/audi techs are "rofl'ing" at this thread. :dnftt:

APR's stance: modding won't have significant impact on GTI, but we won't publish any guarantee or research numbers.

VW's stance: mod has high risks, so we are making ECU much harder to crack and will not guarantee a modded car. Part's reliability figures? All super reliable, but we can't tell you.

joetron

Passed Driver's Ed
APR's stance: modding won't have significant impact on GTI, but we won't publish any guarantee or research numbers.

VW's stance: mod has high risks, so we are making ECU much harder to crack and will not guarantee a modded car. Part's reliability figures? All super reliable, but we can't tell you.

:dnftt:

oddspider

Ready to race!
dude there is no guarantee when it comes to modding. especially when you factor in the maintenance habits of the owner or the lack thereof.

vw is gonna tell you whatever they want to keep their ass out of trouble. they are in it to make money. if you cant understand this then i dont understand how you made it this far in life.

msm00b

Ready to race!
I'd be surprised if the engine held together much beyond the 50K mile mark on an APR Stage 2 or 3 car that is routinely driven with some vigor.

Except for the stage 2/3 owners in our midst who have over 100k miles on their cars, and the APR testers who (I promise you) push their cars harder than the average joe ever will.

oeguy

Ready to race!
So this thread has shown no proof of either argument! I think it's common sense to say that modding your car can decrease the life of your engine which is fine I guess if you plan on keeping your car for 10-20 years. The fact of the matter is is that most people drive there cars for the duration of the lease term.

So heres my 0.2 if you would like to mod your car do so and go ahead enjoy it:) If you like your car stock and to vw spec go ahead and enjoy it because the fact of the matter is is that 99% of the people here will either upgrade to MKVII when it releases or graduate to Audi like I plan too:)

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
man, i sure enjoyed the hell out of my stage 1 this morning on my way to work..

FasDarken

Ready to race!
Thank you internet forum masters for providing me this opportunity. OP, I am about to delight in thoroughly slapping your face with the broad side of my left butt cheek. Let us all prepare to unravel the OP's logic:

After a rereading of the original post while treating myself to a nice pack of Swedish Fish, I concluded that the argument/logic presented in the post is as follows:
"The GTI has X engine. There is a variant of X engine, Y, which has stronger internals and produces more power. Therefore, X engine is weak and not capable of safely producing any more power than appropriated in stock form."

...great now we're going to get wiki links to x vs y :rolleyes:

msm00b

Ready to race!
Car and Driver and Wikipedia are good enough for me.

Fooooooooooooooooooooor he's a jolly good fellow for he's a jolly good fellow!

:wosschilder980:

:lol:

:laugh:

:bellyroll:

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.