GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil around turbo

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Changed my oil yesterday and noticed the same issue is still occurring. Mechatronic cover/gasket has oil seeping out. Again not enough to drop but enough to see the light amber haze of the dsg gear oil. Really am at a loss for words as this is the 4th time this is happening all repairs done by dealer. Called yesterday and was told this would need to be handled by the service manager when he returns on Monday. Should I even bother taking my car back as they haven't been successful 3 times now?? It's only been 4K miles since the last repair so I'm having a hard time understanding how this is still happening. I cleaned off the underside yesterday and will check again to assess how bad the seepage is but my car is operating totally fine. Should I just pony up and buy parts and take it some where else for repair? It just doesn't feel right having to pay for this when it was covered under warranty and still is. Anyone else have or is having this seepage??? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If it's still under warranty then definitely take it back to them! I know how you feel though! I've had a similar issue over the last couple of weeks with a "simple" rear main seal replacement, it took 3 attempts in the end as each time the new seal still leaked!! It was me that eventually worked out that they were fitting it wrong as it is a new revision part and the fitting process had changed, could it be possible they are having a similar issue and are making the same small mistake each time?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If just replacing the seal is still not working they will have to get deeper into it and replace other parts, insist on it! And maybe even go above the dealership if you feel they're not going to resolve the issue.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
They always wave that "well we have different category leaks". Meaning if it's not dripping it's not a leak. If fluid is moving past a seal that's a leak.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Took the car to the dealer yesterday and had them put it on the lift with the shop foreman and my friendly service advisor who doubted my leak. Low and behold it was dripping gear oil the minute they pulled the belly pan. Advisor ofcourse insisted that my apr tune could have caused the leak but the shop foreman agreed with me that my ecu tune has no relation to my gear box leak. Bringing it back next week when parts are in to have it repaired again. Hopefully this is the last of this mess.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Took the car to the dealer yesterday and had them put it on the lift with the shop foreman and my friendly service advisor who doubted my leak. Low and behold it was dripping gear oil the minute they pulled the belly pan. Advisor ofcourse insisted that my apr tune could have caused the leak but the shop foreman agreed with me that my ecu tune has no relation to my gear box leak. Bringing it back next week when parts are in to have it repaired again. Hopefully this is the last of this mess.

lucky break there

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Bump from the dead. Need some advice on my next move with this issue that I thought was resolved. Long story short I took the car to another dealer and was told gear box needed to be replaced. Called our friendly guys over at VWoA and they decided they would cover half the costs of a new gear box even tho I was out of warrenty. Cool right? Remanufactured gear box goes in and about 4k miles later I go under to check it out one day and its leaking at the mechantronic cover again and along the bottom of the trans where the two halves are bolted together. FmL right??

So I go back to dealer who Installed the new trans and was told this is normal. Blew my mind. I originally brought the car in for the same issue and was told a new one is needed. Now it's normal when I'm back for warrenty work. Fuck me right? So I head over to another dealer, call Vwoa again and get use out of my 12k or 1 year warrenty. New gear box goes in again and rinse and repeat. Same issue. This time it is a super slow seepage of dsg oil coming out of the two halves where the black sealant goes to seal the gear box shut. Its literally such a small seepage you cant tell until you slide your finger across the bottom.

Along with this now my rear main seal is seeping oil. No drips or drops but seepage for sure. I'm only about 5k on this transmission. Brought it back to the dealer and of course tech states " no leaks seen" but he sure did notice my non warrenty work like a busted CV boot and horn that works when it feels like it. I really dont want to keep going back and forth fighting this but I fell entitled to a repair if it is needed. But at the same time I'd rather not have my trans dropped again and expose my car to future problems since I highly doubt any tech doing this warrenty work will really care about a proper job being done.

If any of you guys have a similar slow seepage from your dsg or seepage from your rear main how long have you had it? I'm worried that these remanufactured gear boxes will all be like this since I've already got two with similar issues. Pics below of both. The casting on both trans I got were scabby as shit too. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Also pcv is working. Scanned car and also did the oil cap/ dipstick test. No oil seepage up top around pcv either.

Uberryan

Banned
At this point, I would suspect the gasket or the longblock being warped. Having several dealers, different techs, and now gearboxes in this leads me to believe there's one thing contributing to this problem that you haven't tried. How a longblock could get warped in that fashion is beyond me, but that's the only suspect I would have at this point. Has the car leaked since day one, or is this within the last couple years of ownership?

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
I was going to say check the oil line attached to the turbo, I had an oil droplet on the same spot you had in the first pic...tightening worked. They have a seal/gasket that is likely best replaced whenever disconnected. Mine was disconnected before I discovered the leak, for an engine rebuild, and I would bet the tech didn't replace it.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I was going to say check the oil line attached to the turbo, I had an oil droplet on the same spot you had in the first pic...tightening worked. They have a seal/gasket that is likely best replaced whenever disconnected. Mine was disconnected before I discovered the leak, for an engine rebuild, and I would bet the tech didn't replace it.
The turbo oil return line has had both gaskets replaced and the top one still drips a small bit. But that doesnt explain why the remanufactured gear boxes are seeping dsg oil from their mating points. My best guess is it's a crappy rebuild/seal job done by vw at the factory wherever these boxes get built. The trans they sold me looks like it took a hit in its life, then got split rebuilt and resealed. My other guess is the casting itself has some porosity in it which prevents it from being 100% leak free even with the black sealant applied to the mating surfaces. I've brought this concern up to vwoa but they go solely off what the techs are saying "no leak seen".