GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have one hell of a time trying to get my passenger front window to go up. There’s no issue with the speed or anything, it just seems like the anti pinch trigger is going off all the time. The automatic windows don’t work on that door and the window goes up only in small amounts at a time. I have to sit there for like 2-5 mins to get my passenger window up and that is no exaggeration. Is there a fix for this? I tried the reset thing but it didn’t do a damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have this issue too i think. ive learned where it would trigger and go all down and time it to stop moving before it gets there. would love a permanent fix.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I have one hell of a time trying to get my passenger front window to go up. There’s no issue with the speed or anything, it just seems like the anti pinch trigger is going off all the time. The automatic windows don’t work on that door and the window goes up only in small amounts at a time. I have to sit there for like 2-5 mins to get my passenger window up and that is no exaggeration. Is there a fix for this? I tried the reset thing but it didn’t do a damn thing.

I’ve had that happen a few times really randomly over the course of ownership bro, I’ve never tried to fix really just made sure the trim and “gasket” was clean and maybe reset the battery terminal for a minute and retry. Good luck.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Oh without a doubt the deadset kit is great mod....in addition to preventing the knocking noise, it tightens up the front end & you do actually notice it

Hmmm just wish it was like $100 and I didn't need an alignment. lol!

Phur

Autocross Champion

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I'm in a similar situation with sub frame clunking. It seems to only be coming from the rear, so I plan on just getting a rear kit:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-parts/rear-subframe-bushing-insert-kit/cts-hw-216~cts/

Maybe if I'm lucky I can get away with not needing an alignment. I'll probably just get it checked and see where it's at. There's only one setting on the rear anyway, right?

So much money for some bolts and fancy washers :mad:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I'm in a similar situation with sub frame clunking. It seems to only be coming from the rear, so I plan on just getting a rear kit:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-parts/rear-subframe-bushing-insert-kit/cts-hw-216~cts/

Maybe if I'm lucky I can get away with not needing an alignment. I'll probably just get it checked and see where it's at. There's only one setting on the rear anyway, right?

So much money for some bolts and fancy washers :mad:

My feelings exactly.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
So, time for a truly stupid question.

My 2012 GTI is extensively hail damaged. I have seen ads for a local 2012 Golf 2.5L that has a rebuilt title due to flooding. The body work on the car is perfect. My question is, would it be possible to swap everything from my beat up GTI into the golf and make it a GTI, and swap everything from the golf into the GTI and make it my beater golf? I know it would be labor intensive, just wondering if there is anything preventing the conversion in the first place.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

My 2012 GTI is extensively hail damaged. I have seen ads for a local 2012 Golf 2.5L that has a rebuilt title due to flooding. The body work on the car is perfect. My question is, would it be possible to swap everything from my beat up GTI into the golf and make it a GTI, and swap everything from the golf into the GTI and make it my beater golf? I know it would be labor intensive, just wondering if there is anything preventing the conversion in the first place.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I imagine that it's possible and VERY labor intensive, but some things might not fit quite right so some customization would be needed.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

A ton of work/labor

And while the hail is cosmetic....I'm not sure going to/working on a flood car would be a better situation.
You'd have to gut & swap everything (including wiring, to be safe) from the GTI, IMO, for a perfect car in the end....assuming there's no rust/corrosion from the flood damage

Two damaged cars don't always make a right either. You'd be stuck with a flood titled Golf with GTI guts in the end. Good luck explaining that if you tried to sell it.
Plus whatever the cost of the Golf is & any parts needed....could be a money pit.

Cut your losses and buy one nice(r) car, IMO, or keep what you have

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Cut your losses and buy one nice(r) car, IMO, or keep what you have
i x2 this.

You're gonna spends thousands of dollars or days upon days of your own time doing all that just to have a mehh car.

Sell what you can and buy a new(er) car.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
I'm having a stage 2 clutch being put in on Thursday and I figured I'd replace the rear main seal while I'm in there, now will the shop have to do an oil change? Since when the rear main seal is taken out it'll gush out oil right? Kinda dumb question but that's why I'm here lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Oil will not gush out, it may lose a bit. If you want an oil change ask the shop to do it while it's there. I'm sure there'd be an added cost.