GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG starts on a steep hill

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
I stopped on a steep uphill today and tried to have the car moving. I left my foot from brake and gave a little gas. I hear the engine revving but the car was not going forward.

I depressed my brake again and checked my gear shifter and I saw it was in D. so I tried to give some gas again but the same thing happened. I was a little worried so I shifted to S and gave some bigger pressure to the gas paddle and after the same engine revving sound the car started to move.

Is this the way that DSG is supposed to do? all the other automatic cars I have driven would go forward right after I gave some gas (even very slowly)...the way DSG did was kind like my last manual car, I rev the engine before I lifted the clutch...

pbm317

Passed Driver's Ed
The car has a hill hold feature that kinda holds the brakes for a few seconds to prevent you from rolling backwards. If you press on the gas while in D or S it should eventually start moving forward, may need to press the gas a bit holder than you're used you. You'll eventually adjust to it.

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
The car has a hill hold feature that kinda holds the brakes for a few seconds to prevent you from rolling backwards. If you press on the gas while in D or S it should eventually start moving forward, may need to press the gas a bit holder than you're used you. You'll eventually adjust to it.

was the reason that the engine rev but the car did not going forward because I gave too little gas so the car could not overcome the hill hold? it is really some thing new to me...

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I think it's partly the nature of the transmission. You mentioned that this reminded you of your manual car - keep in mind that mechnically, the DSG IS a manual. The hill hold feature should disengage after something like 0.5 - 1 second.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Hill hold will stay on until there's enough forward thrust to move you forward. On a steep steep hill, this can be more gas than you expect!

NaysayerSlayer

Ready to race!
sorry, I just think that there has to be a clutch pedal for it to be a "manual". I drove both when buying and didn't like the pedal response. The salesguy was all like...you get more control using the paddle shifters versus the "automatic" throw it in D and go. But to me there is just something about working the clutch pedal to having full driver control over the car. just my opinion though fellas, it's all dub love!

daihard

Ready to race!
sorry, I just think that there has to be a clutch pedal for it to be a "manual". I drove both when buying and didn't like the pedal response. The salesguy was all like...you get more control using the paddle shifters versus the "automatic" throw it in D and go. But to me there is just something about working the clutch pedal to having full driver control over the car. just my opinion though fellas, it's all dub love!

I used to think that way. That's why I'd only owned stick-shift cars until I traded my last one in for the current GTI (DSG). I finally admitted that there's no way I can operate the clutch pedal as well as the computer does on SMG/DSG. :)

daihard

Ready to race!
oh there's no doubt your transmission will out live mine! but as long as these knees keep on a workin'...lol!

If you know how to rev-match / heal & tow well, your transmission will live very long, too. :)

redfaern

I have the same problem in my MkVI GTI. It doesn't even have to be on a steep incline as it happens on relatively small inclines. The problem is that when I move my foot off the brake and press the accelerator it engages the clutch without disengaging the brakes. It's as if it will hold the brakes on for a fixed amount of time, regardless of whether you are pressing the accelerator pedal or not. If that is the case, I think it's a design flaw. It makes it very difficult to take off quickly whilst on an incline as the hill holder will keep you stationary for about a second. I've taken it into the VW service centre and they said this is how it is meant to work. I disagree. The computer should be smart enough to disengage the brake as you press the accelerator pedal. I will try and drive a friend's to see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Anyhow, my MkV has a hill holder functionality and it does not do this. I think it might work differently to the MkVI, but it works heaps better in the MkV.

All in all, I'm not as satisfied with the MkVI as with the MkV from a quality perspective. I also have another problem with the DSG that may or may not be related to the hill holder problem. Once the car is warm (after about 15 mins of driving), the DSG becomes very lurchy when coming to a stop, or accelerating from stationary. The clutch does not smoothly engage, instead it engages very quickly and the car lurches forward. When braking it disengages very quickly so comes to a very abrupt stop. The MkV is super smooth, but my MkVI is shocking. No matter how smoothly I try to drive, it feels like there is a first time driver at the wheel of a manual bunny hopping. At least the VW service centre recognises that this is actually a problem and are going to fix it under warranty.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
was the reason that the engine rev but the car did not going forward because I gave too little gas so the car could not overcome the hill hold? it is really some thing new to me...

I think it's partly the nature of the transmission. You mentioned that this reminded you of your manual car - keep in mind that mechnically, the DSG IS a manual. The hill hold feature should disengage after something like 0.5 - 1 second.

Hill hold will stay on until there's enough forward thrust to move you forward. On a steep steep hill, this can be more gas than you expect!

What jmblur said. It takes a little getting used to, but always a nice feature to have. If you want to "disable" hill hold, tap the brake pedal once and the feature disappears, as the computer assumes you want to go backwards. Or, you could do the gas-brake deal to get the car to start on a steep hill too.

I have the same problem in my MkVI GTI. It doesn't even have to be on a steep incline as it happens on relatively small inclines. The problem is that when I move my foot off the brake and press the accelerator it engages the clutch without disengaging the brakes. It's as if it will hold the brakes on for a fixed amount of time, regardless of whether you are pressing the accelerator pedal or not. If that is the case, I think it's a design flaw. It makes it very difficult to take off quickly whilst on an incline as the hill holder will keep you stationary for about a second. I've taken it into the VW service centre and they said this is how it is meant to work. I disagree. The computer should be smart enough to disengage the brake as you press the accelerator pedal. I will try and drive a friend's to see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Anyhow, my MkV has a hill holder functionality and it does not do this. I think it might work differently to the MkVI, but it works heaps better in the MkV.

All in all, I'm not as satisfied with the MkVI as with the MkV from a quality perspective. I also have another problem with the DSG that may or may not be related to the hill holder problem. Once the car is warm (after about 15 mins of driving), the DSG becomes very lurchy when coming to a stop, or accelerating from stationary. The clutch does not smoothly engage, instead it engages very quickly and the car lurches forward. When braking it disengages very quickly so comes to a very abrupt stop. The MkV is super smooth, but my MkVI is shocking. No matter how smoothly I try to drive, it feels like there is a first time driver at the wheel of a manual bunny hopping. At least the VW service centre recognises that this is actually a problem and are going to fix it under warranty.

I think your unsatisfactory experience with the hill-hold is related to your not-working DSG transmission. I do not experience that issue you describe in the beginning of your post, and my transmission is only lurchy/sticky during the first 60 seconds of my drive before it warms up. How it works on mine is by having a threshold - dynamically changing to suit the slope - for the amount of power requested to pass before the hill-hold releases. Or, for 0.5-1 second to pass before the hill-hold releases.

I have no problems taking off quickly (besides tire traction on a Stage 1 car, but that's another issue entirely) on an incline, and the car responds just fine...

DD89

Ready to race!

I test drove both as well, and I agree with you, I feel much more in control with manual than DSG. While I do see the appeal from DSG (incredible technology), I had my share of automatic from my silly civic.

mortis

Ready to race!
Enough with the manual vs. DSG. It's like people who bash 4-bangers because they drive a big V8 until some guy driving a GTI with DSG kicks their a$$.

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Enough with the manual vs. DSG. It's like people who bash 4-bangers because they drive a big V8 until some guy driving a GTI with DSG kicks their a$$.

Us manual guys simply can't help it if we have superior driving vehicles... hehehe

Please don't feed the troll :23: I just couldn't help myself.

I will say that this thread answered my question on the "hill hold" function. The car's manual doesn't make it clear that it's only found on the DSG, unless I simply missed that.