GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

clutch rattle/vibration/chatter and noise

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
I am a proud owner of a 2013 Golf R that had slipping clutch at 500 miles. I had the clutch/flywheel and release bearing replaced under warranty. Still driving the car nicely so i dont know if it slips any more or not.

The issue i have now is a super annoying clutch chatter when taking off in first gear. I can feel the clutch engage and there is something in the tranny making a knocking noise. Tech at the dealership told me its normal dmf noise. I freaking cant stand it. Is that pretty much what i have to live with?

Another issue is vibration and sort of feeling of rotation when shifting that i feel in the clutch pedal. Is that normal as well?

The part that i love the most abut driving cars which is shifting gears is the most annoying and least pleasant experience on an the golf so far:-/.

Dont get me wrong i love this car, love the interior quality and power just this clutch thing is driving me absolutely crazy.

R79

Passed Driver's Ed
My car has the same clutch/flywheel characteristics as you. Clutch Assembly was replace under warranty (~3000 miles) and has been pretty much the same since (~12,000 miles now).

Some people have reported it settling down and going away after a few thousand miles so good luck ( I wasn't so lucky :p )

I hear the chatter/rattle even sitting in neutral when i depress the clutch pedal and slightly rev (800-1200 rpm).

Annoying, yes, I've just gotten (sorta)used to it now. I'm eventually going to get an upgraded clutch system and we'll see how it is after that.

On the flipside, my B5 S4 on it's original clutch is still smooth and silent as it was 12 years ago!

rj45

Passed Driver's Ed
My '12 R has a little over 5K miles. The clutch is not slipping, but I've heard/felt the knocking sound when pulling away since the car was new. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's a somewhat regular occurrence. However, I feel no clutch chatter, nor do I hear clutch rattle in neutral (if there is any, it's very little). I don't notice odd pedal sensations when shifting, either.

If your dealer isn't admitting there's a problem, maybe it's time to visit another dealer and let one of their techs drive the car. Or, you can call VW customer service and complain - as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Hope it works out. Good luck.

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the input guys. I got a few dealers around the area i live. We have the biggest VW service center in the country ( Luther Westside). I got my clutch done there in 3 days and they were very accommodating. There is a serious issue with clutches on Golf Rs and its pretty much a know issue now and it just takes to say "slip" and the clutch is pretty much replaced.

Today was the first day i actually got on a little bit on the car. Its been about 300 miles since they new clutch was put in and I have been very very light on the car. I cant see any slip at all at this point. I have not tried flooring it in 5th or 6th yet.

The feel a get in the clutch is like if you can feel the bearing rolling over the fingers on the pressure plate.

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
I've heard of this but have been fortunate enough not to experience any problems with the stock clutch. Upgraded to a SouthBend DXD S3 DD clutch and I'm happy with it as well.

Does your new clutch use stock flywheel and stock throwout bearing?

2inTheMorning

Ready to race!
I have a 2013 Golf R with 7000 miles and the clutch has never rattled, vibrated, or chattered. However, on only 3 or 4 occasions, when letting out the clutch in 1st gear, it has emitted a high-pitched and single-pitched note similar to, I dunno, let's say a flute or some kind of weird bird.

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 Golf R with 7000 miles and the clutch has never rattled, vibrated, or chattered. However, on only 3 or 4 occasions, when letting out the clutch in 1st gear, it has emitted a high-pitched and single-pitched note similar to, I dunno, let's say a flute or some kind of weird bird.

That sounds like a typical release bearing chirp.

I feel like I am getting used to the clutch in the R now. I am getting used to clipping the clutch a bit more when i take off so i dont get the dmf chatter as much that way.

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
I am getting a very annoying spinning down noise whenever i shift gears and it corresponds with the clutch vibration. Its so bad that its actually taking away 90% of the pleasure of driving the car. I contacted VW USA with the issue and going to go to my dealer again next week. I had the main mechanic drive the car and he did notice the noise and vibration but just told me to keep driving the car. I am going to get to the bottom of this.
If am going to be told that this is normal to have this sort of noise and vibration I feel like I wont own this car for a long time at all.

damiennn

Ready to race!
The issue i have now is a super annoying clutch chatter when taking off in first gear. I can feel the clutch engage and there is something in the tranny making a knocking noise. Tech at the dealership told me its normal dmf noise. I freaking cant stand it. Is that pretty much what i have to live with?.

Yep, I have the same car with the same issue... Normal, I hear. Gonna have to learn to live with it. Although, I would suggest removing the soundaktor. It really does make a difference in how the car sounds overall.

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, I have the same car with the same issue... Normal, I hear. Gonna have to learn to live with it. Although, I would suggest removing the soundaktor. It really does make a difference in how the car sounds overall.

How many miles do you have on your car? I just can't stand that noise and pedal vibration. This can't be normal. And If it is normal VW has their had in their ass. And more people need to complain so they will redesign whatever is making that damn noise.

I was going to pull the soundtraktor after I install exhaust. It's hard to hear the engine when soundtraktor is not plugged in.

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
Got In touch with VWoA and they are escalating my issue to the regional manager so I am dropping off my car at Luther Westside next Wednesday to have them look at the spin down noise and clutch pedal vibration. I am going to fight this until they either replace whatever needs to be replaced or buy my car back. If this is what a $36k does and it's considered normal I am done with German cars. Funny thing is that I was warned by all my Subaru friends that VW is a going to be different car to own.:-/

damiennn

Ready to race!
How many miles do you have on your car? I just can't stand that noise and pedal vibration. This can't be normal. And If it is normal VW has their had in their ass. And more people need to complain so they will redesign whatever is making that damn noise.

I was going to pull the soundtraktor after I install exhaust. It's hard to hear the engine when soundtraktor is not plugged in.

1700 miles... I'm hearing it now more often then before, since the soundaktor is gone. No vibration or slipping, just chatter coming out of first, sometimes.
Was considering to call a dealer, but I'm stage 1, and I got a feeling they will make it difficult, so I'll deal with till I get really sick of it.

Flywheel is making this noise, I think. Happened in my old 318ti with an aftermarket lightweight flywheel.

rushinr

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you hear sort of vibration when clutch is pressed in and you rev the engine?

I am planing to fight this to the top. And if I am told its normal by VWoA I am going to be pissed. After spending a couple days searching clutch issues with VW and Audi it seems to be a huge issue across the board to a point where I think it's a massive design issue and unless people complain more about it and hold VW accountable there will not be any change.

damiennn

Ready to race!
Do you hear sort of vibration when clutch is pressed in and you rev the engine?

I am planing to fight this to the top. And if I am told its normal by VWoA I am going to be pissed. After spending a couple days searching clutch issues with VW and Audi it seems to be a huge issue across the board to a point where I think it's a massive design issue and unless people complain more about it and hold VW accountable there will not be any change.

No, no vibrations of any kind. Also, clutch is not slipping at all and it performs well so far. Just the chatter... Annoying, but thats it. Not always chattery, just sometimes. Although more noticeable now that the soundaktor is gone.