GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
I have the exact same mirror out of my Civic. Was going to install and damn dealership said it'd void my warranty? WTF!! I'd like to get the GENTEX auto dimming mirror with home link AND back up camera but it's like 700-800 bucks on ebay and amazon!!!

They may NOT void your warranty unless the mirror actually does cause the issue being complained of. If your oil pan splits at a weld location how would that be related to a mirror install? Your car catches fire and they trace it to uninsulated wires that you placed in your headliner? That would be voidable.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
They may NOT void your warranty unless the mirror actually does cause the issue being complained of. If your oil pan splits at a weld location how would that be related to a mirror install? Your car catches fire and they trace it to uninsulated wires that you placed in your headliner? That would be voidable.

EXACTLY! I even wanted to have dealership install my mirror and that when they said "no, it'll void your warranty". I'd do it myself, but I'm not confident to do so, mine is the exact same mirror as OP, in my Civic it was easy and I went a different route and ran it down the A pillar into fuse panel to an empty slot that was controlled by the ignition. However I know nothing about VW's and don't have the confidence to attempt this myself, so mirror just sits on the shelf lol

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
EXACTLY! I even wanted to have dealership install my mirror and that when they said "no, it'll void your warranty". I'd do it myself, but I'm not confident to do so, mine is the exact same mirror as OP, in my Civic it was easy and I went a different route and ran it down the A pillar into fuse panel to an empty slot that was controlled by the ignition. However I know nothing about VW's and don't have the confidence to attempt this myself, so mirror just sits on the shelf lol

Dont be scared. I knew nothing about VW's and did this without the benefit of a write-up. After doing it, I saw the need and created this. It really isn't that hard. :D

skyfox23

Ready to race!
Dont be scared. I knew nothing about VW's and did this without the benefit of a write-up. After doing it, I saw the need and created this. It really isn't that hard. :D

Thanks man for the self esteem boost, if I feel inclined soon I may tackle it with the write up!?

Shep1

Ready to race!
Finally got the K40A mirror and adapter and went to work. The mirror adapter fit perfectly and the mirror mounted easily. No problem running the wires through the headliner using a trim tool, tapped into the blue/red wire off the map lights, connected the ground after dremeling the paint off the screw.

Connected the first tap and blew the 20A interior lighting fuse. And it was going so well too. :(

Any thoughts?

I tried again with a new fuse and removed then re-inserted the ground screw and there was a spark and the new fuse blew... is this because there was power to the red/blue wire? Does this wire have to be un-powered when I make the connections?

Last edited:

beantown53

Ready to race!
Finally got the K40A mirror and adapter and went to work. The mirror adapter fit perfectly and the mirror mounted easily. No problem running the wires through the headliner using a trim tool, tapped into the blue/red wire off the map lights, connected the ground after dremeling the paint off the screw.

Connected the first tap and blew the 20A interior lighting fuse. And it was going so well too. :(

Any thoughts?

I tried again with a new fuse and removed then re-inserted the ground screw and there was a spark and the new fuse blew... is this because there was power to the red/blue wire? Does this wire have to be un-powered when I make the connections?

I followed the same instructions and it burnt out the sun roof motor (at least, that what the dealer told me). Also, the dealer fixed it, under warranty, for a one-time only. Have decided to route the wires to the fuse box and tap in there.

Shep1

Ready to race!
Nice dealer! I checked my sunroof and it's still working. I'm going to try again with the battery disconnected and if that doesn't work then I'll run it to the fuse box.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

Shep1

Ready to race!
Worked on this more and have determined that there is 12 volts at each t-tap and a good ground but when I put a spade connector on one tap the volts drop to 6 at each tap. Oh well, great DIY if you can get good power. Going to run it to the fuse box.

Always learning something new!

Thanks OP!

Shep1

Ready to race!
Finally had time to get the mirror installed! Ran the wires down the A-pillar with no problems and not having to remove the cover or even loosen the torx bolt. Used 2 add-a-circuits and ran switched to the rear wiper motor and found a constant. I was so happy to see the green light come on and was easily able to program the homelink to my garage door opener. The mirror is working great!

Cheers

titan253

Ready to race!
So did you guys get just get the 40A or did you get the 40A with the VW/Audi adapter? The regular one is $209 and the VW one is $230

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Finally had time to get the mirror installed! Ran the wires down the A-pillar with no problems and not having to remove the cover or even loosen the torx bolt. Used 2 add-a-circuits and ran switched to the rear wiper motor and found a constant. I was so happy to see the green light come on and was easily able to program the homelink to my garage door opener. The mirror is working great!

Cheers
OCD guy checking in. You should have just taken the extra time to remove the A-pillar trim. If your airbag deploys it might get snagged on something, maybe even turning your mirror into a heavy high speed projectile. Removing the trim allows you to tie the wire behind the airbag nice and neatly. Glad to hear you got it working though!